The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

1/16 "she's real fine my 359" big Pete

Hey guys 

I kinda started on this, Monograms 1/16 Peterbilt 359 119" bbc with 63" flat top sleeper. I ordered some custom 3D printed Peterbilt oval hole wheels. I'd like to find some front floats and some more aggressive rear rubber.

Things I'm planning on doing to this rig:

1) already did the front steering.

2) custom made Cummins NTC-400 big cam with the kit transmission.

3) 8" (1/2" actual size) custom made stacks.

4) opening doors on the cab and sleeper.

5) detailed cab and sleeper interior.

6) 3D printed chrome air cleaners.

7) custom drop visor and Texas bumper.

8) full air, fuel, oil and electric lines.

9) ????

20210601_171536.jpgthis is the kit I'm using, got it off of Ebay.

359-conventional_a_web.jpgthis is the paint scheme I'm shooting for.

20210601_172526.jpgthis is my drawing of the Cummins NTC-400 and the start I made on the block.

20210601_172459.jpgthis view shows the 1/16 block on the left and the 1/24 Italeri block I'm using to scale up on the right.

20210601_172440.jpgthe other side of the blocks.

20210601_172422.jpgtop view of the blocks.

20210601_172406.jpgthis view shows the start I made on making the front axle steerable.

20210601_172349.jpgthis view shows it turned to the left.

20210601_172159.jpgthis view shows it turned to the right.

20210601_172727.jpg

View of the front axle from the rear. Well that's it for now be back with more updates soon.

Ron G 

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys 

I have done some more work on the Pete. I purchased a 3D printed Cummins NTA855 big cam from a guy, Chucky's precision pullers & parts, I believe he is in Iowa. 

The engine is pretty nicely detailed, but it was missing some of the real engines components. So, I had to make them from scratch. They weren't really hard to make, just time consuming. I have the frame, cab, hood and sleeper assembled.

20210613_133924.jpgthis view shows the tractor temporarily assembled for pictures.

20210613_134033.jpgthis view shows the engine sitting in the frame and the front floats that are from a 1/16 Ertl dump truck.

20210613_134743.jpgleft side view of the Cummins NTA855 with the kits transmission installed.

20210613_134721.jpgright side view of engine showing the oil filters. I added the rear filter (it only comes with one) and the water removale filter (the small black one) the fan is from the kit.

20210613_134659.jpgtop view of the engine.

20210613_134639.jpgbottom view of the engine. I had to modify the oil pan ( it comes with one for a farm tracter)

20210613_134923.jpgfront view showing the kit fan.

20210613_135031.jpgrear view of engine.

I added some more components to the engine and painted it with custom blended Cummins beige Tamiya paint.

20210614_175112.jpgthis view shows the 1/16 scale Cummins NTA855 big cam on the left and the 1/24 scale Italeri Cummins NTC-400 on the right.

20210614_175504.jpgthis view shows the fuel filter that I added plus the fuel and air lines. You can also see the water crossover pipe at the upper left, also I made a power steering fluid reservoir from scratch.

20210614_175445.jpgthis view shows the small filter at the rear of the engine. I modified the oil dip stick tube, moved it forward to clear the exhaust down pipe. Between the exhaust manifold and the three heads I added from scratch a water manifold and lower pipe that connects to the radiator. I based this off of the 1/24 Italeri Cummins. Also I added the turbo oil lines.

20210614_175417.jpgthis view shows the crossover pipe to the water manifold.

20210614_175348.jpgthis view shows the fan, I still need to add the fan clutch and paint it yellow/white.

20210614_175613.jpgthis view shows the tee fitting I made from scratch to connect the fuel lines.

20210614_175733.jpgthis view shows the engine sitting in the frame. Well that's it for now be back with more updates soon.

Ron G 

• Like 9

Nice work so far! Great detail on the engine. I haven't built a truck model in years; it

was Monogram's  1/24 1926 Mack bulldog and I was about 16 years old. Your post

made me all nostalgic and I'd love to make that kit again! Anyway, it's great to see your

truck build here. Thanks for posting, I'll be watching.

Paul.

• Like 3

Hey Jeff 

This is the plumbing diagram I'm using.

20200630_185552.jpg(blown up view of lower picture) Is the supply reservoir what you call the wet tank? And if so what I'm guessing is the two front tanks are the wet tank/tanks that feed the #1 & #2 service tanks? Correct?

CMsep90p3-vi.jpg

CMsep90p1-vi.jpgas I said before any help would be greatly appreciated. And good luck on trying to fit in smaller home, I  know it ain't easy...lol

Ron G 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Thanks guys 

Small update, got some parts for the big Pete from Ebay and Shapeways.

20210618_184934.jpg3D printed swan hood ornament. This was described as being 1/24 scale, but it sure looks right for 1/16th.

20210618_184914.jpg3D printed fire extinguisher for cab.

20210618_184832.jpg3D printed Grammer air ride seats.

20210618_184851.jpgside view of the seat.

20210618_184614.jpg3D printed oval slot Peterbilt rear rims.

20210618_184553.jpgfront 3D printed Peterbilt rims with moon caps.

Ron G 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, CrankyCrafstman said:

Hey Jeff 

This is the plumbing diagram I'm using.

20200630_185552.jpg(blown up view of lower picture) Is the supply reservoir what you call the wet tank? And if so what I'm guessing is the two front tanks are the wet tank/tanks that feed the #1 & #2 service tanks? Correct?

CMsep90p3-vi.jpg

CMsep90p1-vi.jpgas I said before any help would be greatly appreciated. And good luck on trying to fit in smaller home, I  know it ain't easy...lol

Ron G 

So, in answer to the pending question, yes, supply tank, the one directly from the compressor.... is what we call the 'wet' tanks due to the compressor oils and water from compressing the air, don't want that crap in your air lines.... in the old days we had to drain all air tanks at the end of the day, now today they have "Air Dryers', plus the driver is supposed to drain the tanks,.................. heavy on the 'supposed to'...;)

• Like 2

Thanks for the reply Jeff. So would there only be one inlet line and one outlet line on the first wet/supply tank? And would the outlet line go to the second wet/supply tank? And would the two reservoir tanks be fed from this second tank? I hate to be a pest about this, but I want this build to be as accurate as possible.

Thanks Ron G 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, CrankyCrafstman said:

Thanks for the reply Jeff. So would there only be one inlet line and one outlet line on the first wet/supply tank? And would the outlet line go to the second wet/supply tank? And would the two reservoir tanks be fed from this second tank? I hate to be a pest about this, but I want this build to be as accurate as possible.

Thanks Ron G 

Also , there is another consideration, the three tanks could be as follows, Tank One -wet tank, tank 2 reservoir for front brakes, and tank 3 & 4 for rear brakes, which upon reflection and thinking about it, that is much more the correct scenario.....which I guess would be called a dual air brake system...... which gives a primary and secondary braking system..... some tanks have a Baffle or wall inside and are actually TWO tanks in one, but you would never know it by looking at the tank itself, as it is all internal.... and would only know that IF you were the guy driving....

so...

Most heavy-duty vehicles use dual air brake systems for safety. A dual air brake system has two separate air brake systems, which use a single set of brake controls. Each system has its own air tanks, hoses, lines, etc. One system typically operates the regular brakes on the rear axle or axles. The other system operates the regular brakes on the front axle (and possibly one rear axle). Both systems supply air to the trailer (if there is one). The first system is called the “primary” system. The other is called the “secondary” system

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Also , there is another consideration, the three tanks could be as follows, Tank One -wet tank, tank 2 reservoir for front brakes, and tank 3 & 4 for rear brakes, which upon reflection and thinking about it, that is much more the correct scenario.....which I guess would be called a dual air brake system...... which gives a primary and secondary braking system..... some tanks have a Baffle or wall inside and are actually TWO tanks in one, but you would never know it by looking at the tank itself, as it is all internal.... and would only know that IF you were the guy driving....

so...

Most heavy-duty vehicles use dual air brake systems for safety. A dual air brake system has two separate air brake systems, which use a single set of brake controls. Each system has its own air tanks, hoses, lines, etc. One system typically operates the regular brakes on the rear axle or axles. The other system operates the regular brakes on the front axle (and possibly one rear axle). Both systems supply air to the trailer (if there is one). The first system is called the “primary” system. The other is called the “secondary” system

Got it,  thanks Jeff 

• Like 2

Here is a picture of the paint scheme. It will be Tamiya x-5 D. Green for the frame, lower areas and roofs, and Tamiya x-15 L. Green for the cab,  hood and sleeper. There wont be much chrome, mostly polished or natural aluminum. I'm going to be weathering it, just enough to make it look real, it is after all a work truck.

20210621_154653.png

Ron G 

• Like 2