The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

Summer project Kawasaki KI-61, Tamiya 1/48

DocRob

Hi Rob

Diane and I just celebrated our 51st wedding anniversary and if I've learned one thing in all these years, keep the "Chief" happy and all is well. I'm so lucky my wife has always be supportive of all my hobbies and no issues at all.

I surely would love to build a large scale J3 one of these days and just may do it some day. I soloed a J3 in 1965, Private and Commercial in a Cessna 172 and bought and enjoyed a Piper PA22 Colt for a number of years - those days are long gone.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

• Like 3

The Kawasaki is done, luckily so, the summer is not :D. It was ment to be an easy build and it was, the kit is perfectly engineered and a joy to assemble. Painting and specially applying the wet transfers were a bit harder, with the HGW product partly failing for the fourth time, I used them. All in all, the outcome isn't perfect, there are some residues on the canopy, which I couldn't remove and I didn't weather or panel lined the plane, because I was afraid to destroy the camo. In the display case though, it is a colorful addition and the build was a laid back summer experience.

P1150990.thumb.JPG.001059b3bb0844e1748a39dc84d2809c.JPG

P1150992.thumb.JPG.c33d59b8f78cea2b6faf1977c2b0c6f6.JPG

P1150996.thumb.JPG.2e4328782a46b3fda77378731ed0b833.JPG

P1160002.thumb.JPG.da14c0e4fa87fb48ace4f285a68dc016.JPG

P1160009.thumb.JPG.69d88fd331e7d2dd1b5ff0e99a906eea.JPG

And this is for Kai ;)

P1160004.thumb.JPG.549643c59006642b9f10d03b0cf43a44.JPG

Cheers Rob

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

Rob

A brilliant "summer project" build and  what a spectacular finish. I'm glad you approached the problems as you did and if it was me, I hope I would have chosen the options as you did. One gorgeous aircraft to add to your display.    🏆🏆🏆

Keep 'em comin

Peter

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/31/2021 at 7:03 PM, DocRob said:

The Kawasaki is done, luckily so, the summer is not :D. It was ment to be an easy build and it was, the kit is perfectly engineered and a joy to assemble. Painting and specially applying the wet transfers were a bit harder, with the HGW product partly failing for the fourth time, I used them. All in all, the outcome isn't perfect, there are some residues on the canopy, which I couldn't remove and I didn't weather or panel lined the plane, because I was afraid to destroy the camo. In the display case though, it is a colorful addition and the build was a laid back summer experience.

P1150990.thumb.JPG.001059b3bb0844e1748a39dc84d2809c.JPG

P1150992.thumb.JPG.c33d59b8f78cea2b6faf1977c2b0c6f6.JPG

P1150996.thumb.JPG.2e4328782a46b3fda77378731ed0b833.JPG

P1160002.thumb.JPG.da14c0e4fa87fb48ace4f285a68dc016.JPG

P1160009.thumb.JPG.69d88fd331e7d2dd1b5ff0e99a906eea.JPG

And this is for Kai ;)

P1160004.thumb.JPG.549643c59006642b9f10d03b0cf43a44.JPG

Cheers Rob

Saw this just now Rob!

This is looking awesome!

I really like how this one turned out!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/31/2021 at 6:19 PM, Peterpools said:

A brilliant "summer project" build and  what a spectacular finish. I'm glad you approached the problems as you did and if it was me, I hope I would have chosen the options as you did. One gorgeous aircraft to add to your display.    🏆🏆🏆

On 8/31/2021 at 7:14 PM, harv said:

Rob, beautiful build. You can be proud of it....harv :thumbsup2:

1 hour ago, Kaireckstadt said:

Saw this just now Rob!

This is looking awesome!

I really like how this one turned out!

1 hour ago, HubertB said:

Ditto for me, and with Kai on the comments !

Muchas gracias Señhores, and apologies for not answering earlier to the older comments. Lots of stuff is happening in the moment.
I can recommend the kit to everyone, looking for an easy and satisfying build. There is always the possibility of doing a pure NMF version of the KI-61. When I'm grown up, I will try this type of camo with the airbrush, there is a Vietnamese Mig-21 in my stash,...

Cheers Rob 

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

It has been my experience that Gunze Mr Color paints tend to thicken over time so much so that Gunze made a special product  to address this problem. When using their gloss I and others keep adding thinner until it gives the desired effect. Works for me. And one advantage is if too much is mistakenly applied just leave it alone and it will self level.

George

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
36 minutes ago, KevinM said:

Frigg'in Nice Rob!!:notworthy:

Thanks Kevin, this was last summers in between project, this year, it's a bit more serious with the wooden sailing ship on the bench.

Cheers Rob

• 10 months later...

In revisiting some old threads how did you do the camo?I could go read everything but work on a patio is calling would be of interest one day for the Ki-45.I usually do 1/48 and smaller by hand in a single session.:hsmack:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KevinM said:

In revisiting some old threads how did you do the camo?I could go read everything but work on a patio is calling would be of interest one day for the Ki-45.I usually do 1/48 and smaller by hand in a single session.:hsmack:

The camo is made with a set of HGW wet transfers, dedicated for the KI-61. Applying was not without difficulties, but spraying would have been also PITA

Cheers Rob

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Rob,

I did this in 1/72 scale and also had a few problems with the camo decals.  But overall pretty happy with the result.  Of course, used about half a bottle of Micro Set.  Tried to use Micro Sol but the decal could not be moved at all.  Yours looks super!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, CANicoll said:

I did this in 1/72 scale and also had a few problems with the camo decals.  But overall pretty happy with the result.  Of course, used about half a bottle of Micro Set.  Tried to use Micro Sol but the decal could not be moved at all.  Yours looks super!

Thank you Chris, I think you used decals right? I used the wet transfers, which behave differently. They are perfect when everything works. If not you have a pre-chipped model :D.

Cheers Rob

• Like 1

AHH!!  I missed that you used the wet transfers.  Hmm, wow.  I have very limited experience with the wet transfers, and experiences like yours keep me from diving in.  Thanks for sharing, and your bird still looks terrific.

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1