The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Lysander Mk. III - Eduard 1/48

Bomber_County

Phil

Terrific progress and glad she is ready for the paint booth. If it wasn't for my magnifier modeling lamp and always wearing my glasses, I wouldn't be able to glue two parts together these days. If it wasn't for Optivisors and magnifying lamps, I surely wouldn't be able to model at all these days.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
17 hours ago, DocRob said:

Silky smooth Phil, that's a nice base layer.

Cheers Rob

Thanks Rob, I cleaned first with IPA and added a couple of drops of Vallejo retarder and then thin coats. All with the relatively cheap H&S Ultra ……

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

So after a fretful day spraying, it did go wrong as usual but I think I’ve retrieved it, this where we sit. All glossed up awaiting decals…….being such a small plane plus the high wing, masking was a nightmare, so from this

84A37B03-28FE-428E-99AF-4913F93536C1.thumb.jpeg.cf203a08271d417a8365bad37de96a5b.jpeg

to this…..

0ABEFC49-6993-44AC-B2C8-F2E27106175A.thumb.jpeg.874ac1606357b0f3baa448d0ad7a62b6.jpeg

the cowl is AK True Metal pastes, brass and gunmetal……

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Very nice sharp edged camo Phil, not easy to achieve with that masking putty. When I use it, it always flows over time and ruins the hard edges. I use it only on flat objects anymore and try to keep it cold.

Cheers Rob

• Like 2

On 4/20/2022 at 9:26 AM, DocRob said:

Very nice sharp edged camo Phil, not easy to achieve with that masking putty. When I use it, it always flows over time and ruins the hard edges. I use it only on flat objects anymore and try 

Thanks Rob, I do like the AK Camo Putty but I apply it and then spray almost immediately. It does become a homogeneous living creature over time. I also make sure the edges are quite thin so it has produces a more defined line…..

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Phil

OMG, what a transformation ... first all the masking and I almost couldn't find the Lysander and then the unmasked kit - looks fantastic - you easily have it down pat now. Yup, the key is to thin most paint, light, thin coats and if the thinner doesn't have a retarder in it as does Gunz Self Lleveling Thinner, then a drop or so into the mi; the paint self levels beautifully. 

Keep 'em comin

Peter

31 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

Phil

OMG, what a transformation ... first all the masking and I almost couldn't find the Lysander and then the unmask

Thanks Peter much appreciated, masking was tricky on this because of the high wing and struts. Great to see you back, hope everything went well with the renovation and hopefully the new bench and booth is ready to go. I have to photograph the Lysander and the Ju88 for you guys but having a nightmare with the camera at the moment, must read the instructions…..

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

At last I have collated the pictures of the finished project.

Eduard Profipack Lysander Mk III ( ex Gavia ). Really enjoyed this build as the wing structure and position was a challenge and for once I’m pleased with the finish. One mistake was I forgot to take off the masking for the spat lights….hope you enjoy…..

5AFD6639-5CD1-4F6A-924A-7C9B66C6C8D6.thumb.jpeg.b620d43b5a5163829c48306bb173055e.jpeg

BE2AC633-B6FD-4CEA-926C-D36F55820F0A.thumb.jpeg.b20b4b7aa431ff3a6217de96207afc2a.jpeg

49171B5A-33C9-4191-9BD4-7CE8AD61B854.thumb.jpeg.ac3afd3d9038ab980f33876327105916.jpeg

F84FE020-B71D-4DE9-98A1-4D2BA575BBF4.thumb.jpeg.3f206cd53e9b2b2ab95589b9c70f6c5f.jpeg

05B79A18-7BD4-4AC8-9A49-FB35A277F319.thumb.jpeg.62ac419bcb117df5a8c22fb7f7a21f33.jpeg

61A70EE5-182A-423B-A5C3-BFE97C808E90.thumb.jpeg.b7b44b8ec98d55b3141988a2a8e5dec1.jpeg

• Like 6

22 hours ago, DocRob said:

What a strange looking bird Phil, but I have a soft spot for fugly designs. Your rendition is absolutely beautiful, to answer your question, I did enjoy 

Thanks Rob, I also love the design of the Lizzie, specification was issued 1934, first flew 1936, issued to squadrons in 1938. One of these strange pre war oddities. Really enjoyed the build…..

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Peterpools said:

She came out looking fantastic. Cammo and finish look just superb. So very well done

Thanks Peter, had a couple of nightmares with the camo, I cocked up the overlap of the two colours but happy with it in the end. I always use Vallejo and personally like the finish……..

• Like 1

Very nice Lizzie, Phil. 
One of my fondest memories of the builds of my youth was the venerable 1/48 Hawk Lizzie. This one certainly beats it hands down :) .

One day, maybe, I’ll feel like the 1/32 Matchbox deserves my attention. There is a striped yellow and black target tug scheme that makes me dream. But I would sooooooo much prefer a new mold 1/32 Lizzie …

Hubert

• Like 5

10 hours ago, belugawhaleman said:

Great job on on the Lysander! I remember building one ...I think was in 1/32, years back.

Maybe the one by matchbox........ I think it was a Testor's  Re-box but not sure. Always

Liked its weird looks.

Testors reboxed the old 1/48 Hawk ;)

Hubert

• Like 3

19 hours ago, HubertB said:

Very nice Lizzie, Phil. 
One of my fondest memories of the builds of my youth was the venerable 1/48 Hawk Lizzie. This one certainly beats it hands down :) .

One day, maybe, I’ll feel like the 1/32 Matchbox deserves my attention. There is a striped yellow and black target tug scheme that makes me dream. But I would sooooooo much prefer a new mold 1/32 Lizzie …

Hubert

Thanks Hubert much appreciated. I’d only built the old Airfix header bagged 1/72, that dates us………I’d love to do a 1/32 let’s hope someone like the old WnW guys or ICM or ZM, I doubt anyone else would the the old Lizzie justice.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, belugawhaleman said:

Great job on on the Lysander! I remember building one ...I think was in 1/32, years back.

Maybe the one by matchbox........ I think it was a Testor's  Re-box but not sure. Always

Liked its weird looks.

Thanks for the comment, for a fairly old moulding and the re-boxing with a little bit of fore thought, it’s an enjoyable build…..

• Like 1