The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

AMT/ERTL XB-70 (1/72)

Bill_S

39 minutes ago, DocRob said:

Nice problem solving Bill, have you used any guide or did you scribe free handed?

Cheers Rob

Rob, it was essentially freehand; I let the round needle sit in the existing groove. The part itself served as a guide.

• Like 2

Bill

Nice going for sure and a job well done. I have Trumpeter's small Chisel's that do almost the same but found your solution to be a new way of solving a problem we all face on nearly every build - well done.

Keep 'em comin

Peter 

Some really long panel lines on this bird! It took a while, but they're all finished.

DSCN2734-1.jpg

Got the PE fiddly bits applied to the upper wing and fuselage.

DSCN2740-1.jpg

DSCN2737-1.jpg

DSCN2742-1.jpg

I love Mr. Surfacer. To date, I have only used black. I picked up this bottle somewhere.

DSCN2739-1.jpg

• Like 7

Nothing like a coat of paint to show imperfections! Spraying white paint over white plastic is proving to be a challenge for these old eyes. I'm pretty pleased with the Mr. Surfacer white; the results are very much like Tamiya white primer from the rattle can. More filler, more sanding...

DSCN2743-1.jpg

DSCN2744-1.jpg

Estimated delivery on the PE nozzles is slated for late July.

• Like 5

I finally got that pesky spinal seam smoothed to my satisfaction!

DSCN2748-1.jpg

DSCN2747-1.jpg

I ended up using Tamiya primer - it gave much better coverage than the Mr. Surfacer. I need to do a little touchup at the nose, then on to the landing gear and the engine bay.

• Like 6

Bill

Terrific progress - priming looks perfect. I have found that primers such as arm Surfacer 1500 and MRP Primer are very thin and sometime need a second coat for proper coverage. MRP is my primer of choice and use it without thinning, so it’s always a reminder of how to apply it.

Keep ‘em comin

Peter

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Back at it. Got some PE work done on the gear doors.

DSCN2787-1.jpg

Some of the hinges are tiny, with multiple folds...

DSCN2788-1.jpg

Plenty of PE for the main gear.

DSCN2782-1.jpg

Thirty pieces to dress up the engine bay. I probably should have added these prior to attaching the tails.

DSCN2789-1.jpg

Only five more weeks until the PE nozzles are due to arrive.

• Like 7

Wonderful PE work Bill, sometimes it's funny to see the contrast between highly detailed PE details and coarse molded plastic surrounding it, but primer and paint will heal that.

Cheers Rob

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Those tiny PE pieces are all the same size. Unfortunately, the spacing on the kit is not uniform.

DSCN2804-1.jpg

Out with the calipers, quite a bit of variation - I'll have to cut each piece to size. I just need to figure a way to hold them. This is going to take a while.

DSCN2803-1.jpg

• Sad 2

Well, my plan to build a small fixture to hold those tiny parts didn't work as well as I had hoped. My solution, though, was quite simple. I'm leaving the damn things off!

Brengun did provide two much larger pieces; they will have to be enough to dress up the engine bay. They're only tacked in place right now.

DSCN2815-1.jpg

Now the next (and hopefully the last "Oh crap". Look at the access panels on the underside of the engine housing. How did they miss adding the ovals and circles on panel #4? Thankfully, this will be an easy one. Out with the scribing template.

DSCN2814-1.jpg

And some good news... I got notification today that the PE nozzles I ordered April 21 are in the USA! They came from Ukraine, so I'm not complaining.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

PE nozzles have finally arrived! There are a few parts that are redundant to the Brengun set. Into the spares box they go...

DSCN2816-1.jpg

The instructions tell you to use the back 7mm of the lit nozzle. A few hours of hand sanding later -

DSCN2824-1.jpg

All the pertinent PE removed from the fret. The black piece is one of the extensions I had 3D printed.

DSCN2825-1.jpg

After rolling the outer conical pieces, I wedged them into a piece of PVC pipe to CA them and (hopefully) keep them somewhat circular in cross-section.

DSCN2827-1.jpg

All that's left to do is paint them!

DSCN2828-1.jpg

• Like 4