The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Kittyhawk T-28 up

I plan to do it in the yellow w/green stripes scheme which I have always liked but never modeled. So now it's time for that. :)

It will be quite similar to this one which is privately owned and seen at various airshows.

6729446103_51ee5de00b_b.jpg

6-standoff-scale-pica-rc-t28-north_1_6f5e0a3f7ec2538a3e6113e6091a1ba5.jpg

• Like 9

10 hours ago, belugawhaleman said:

Expecting another quality quick-build John! Will be watching. There's a T-28 that is

a regular at my local airport's annual air show. It is painted in navy grey and is very

loud.

Thank you Paul. This will be my 2nd T-28 build. The first one I built as a AT-28D Royal Laotian AF. It's not a shake and bake build for sure and has a bit of a cuss-factor but, in the end, it makes a impressive model I think.

4-24-22 re-shoot 002.jpg

4-24-22 re-shoot 003.jpg

• Like 6

3 hours ago, JohnB said:

Thank you Paul. This will be my 2nd T-28 build. The first one I built as a AT-28D Royal Laotian AF. It's not a shake and bake build for sure and has a bit of a cuss-factor but, in the end, it makes a impressive model I think.

4-24-22 re-shoot 002.jpg

4-24-22 re-shoot 003.jpg

That's a great-looking T-28 John! 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, belugawhaleman said:

That's a great-looking T-28 John! 

Thanks Paul, I'm pleased that you like it. :)

I was inspired to build it after reading a couple of books about the Ravens in Laos. Meeting Steve Canyon and The Lair of Raven. Both excellent reads.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Bill_S said:

Impressive start (as always), John!

LOL Thanks Bill. I've about gotten everything done that can realistically BE done until the Aires set shows up. Mostly marking time now.:)

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Martinnfb said:

Lovely detail on the engine, will follow with interest . That Laotian plane is sweet I love the addition of the insignia frame .

Cheers

M.

Thank you Martin. I hope the Aires cockpit set arrives SOON so I can resume work on the model. :)

I'm glad you like the RLAF bird. Fly until you die was the by-word of the Laotian pilots and a lot of them did die. Those two books I mentioned earlier had a lot to do with how I built the model. I heard, after I built the model, that that particular a/c was lost to ground fire. A shame! ☹️

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, KevinM said:

That's a big chunk of resin John I have been know to move thick pieces like that across the band saw :blink: The fit looks workable from this angle?what does the tub look like inside?;)

Took a lot of cutting and grinding with my Dremel but it finally seems to fit. The tub is painted Dk. Gull Gray right now and I'll hand paint the consoles, etc later. Couple of cuts in the front but they won't be very visible later.

4-30-22 A 001.jpg

• Like 6

• Administrators

I was always worried about that Aires pit, John.  The kit pit is useable but lacks some detail, but it keys directly to the nose gear well, which keys to the firewall, then to the engine and cowl, etc, etc.  But it looks like you got it covered by pre fitting the cowl now. 
Just remember that when you’re sure you have more than enough noseweight, add another half pound. 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

I was always worried about that Aires pit, John.  The kit pit is useable but lacks some detail, but it keys directly to the nose gear well, which keys to the firewall, then to the engine and cowl, etc, etc.  But it looks like you got it covered by pre fitting the cowl now. 
Just remember that when you’re sure you have more than enough noseweight, add another half pound. 

I agree Ernie. I contemplated using the kit pit but the lack of detail decided me on the Aires pit even though Aires has always been something of a pita to use. I hope there won't be any "surprises" when I go to assemble the cowling, etc. :)

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

I agree, John. The way the kit pieces jig themselves with each other ingenious, but you’re assembling the cowl now, so that should set the spacing for you.

Fingers crossed Ernie.:)

• Like 1

Aires cockpit tub done. I made the rear cockpit hood from lead wire and a Kleenex. Necessary since this a/c was part of the instrument training squadron at Corpus Christie in 1954. :)

5-2-22 002.jpg

269759114_10227432853265610_7838545447255235490_n.jpg

5-2-22 001.jpg

• Like 5

John

Great choice for your next build and you're flying through it like water over a waterfall. Nice work on shoehorning in the Aires Cockpit - they do look great but as we've talked about before, why is is so hard for them to mold their resin set to even come close to fitting? I know some do fit but the majority I've seen and used, fit was nothing to write home about.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

John

Great choice for your next build and you're flying through it like water over a waterfall. Nice work on shoehorning in the Aires Cockpit - they do look great but as we've talked about before, why is is so hard for them to mold their resin set to even come close to fitting? I know some do fit but the majority I've seen and used, fit was nothing to write home about.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

Thank you Peter! Yes indeed, those Aires sets are a real iffy proposition. As they say, yo pays yo money and yo takes yo chances! LOL As you can see from earlier posts this one took a lot of cutting and test fitting. :) Hopefully I'm over the hump now.

• Like 2