The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Me 163 Komet (Meng)

• Administrators

I've received some real aggravation recently about posting this build up here, so I caved in....

DSC02785.jpg

I'm building this one as another bare wood and metal machine. The Meng kit is superbly engineered with some very innovative touches. There are a couple of things let it down, and one of those is the cockpit. There are a myriad of things not included, in there in terms of parts and detail. There are fuel tank (console) straps missing, levers and switches missing, as well as absent fuel piping, floor detail and numerous other things. The back bulkhead is also very simplistic.

DSC02867.jpg

DSC00020.jpg

DSC00034.jpg

I added the missing strap to the fuel tank consoles, and gave them the extruded rubber texture by softening the plastic with Tamiya Extra Thin and then dragging a stiff, flat paintbrush over them. 

So many more hours could have been spent in adding more detail, but time isn't something I have here (magazine work), so I added some strut to the rear bulkhead, lead wire for fuel pipes, and some of the excellent Airscale placards. I opted to use the plastic and PE instrument panel option, and each of those gauges was a separate decal! I don't know why Meng didn't print them as two decals which covered the whole panel. Another bad design as I had to align every one roughly, pop the PE on, and position properly....remove the PE and then bed the decal down. Tedious.

DSC02787.jpg

DSC02863.jpg

The second bad design of this kit is the horrible wing joint seam that can be seen inside the gun bays. It really is shite. I spent a lot of time making a template for this area so I could blank the seam with plasticard, and add some strut detail. I painted this with Alclad and added some random red patches (primer) that you can see in Martin's excellent walkaround images in our gallery.

Extra wiring detail was also added to the guns. 

The rear internal tail section has MDC Duralumin decals added, so give a little interest. Tedious to add, but looks far nicer...

DSC00022.jpg

Don't let my comments put you off this one. It's a great kit, and I have another TWO on order!

• Like 4

• Administrators

Wow,

This little kit really looks good in the flesh Jim. Any word on how the wing to fuselage interface will mate together?

S

...a little problematic; that's if you don't want the wing fillet sticking out way too much and looking like armour plate thickness. You notice from the inner wing root shot tha I sawed out the fuselage insert. I found that if you push it fully home, it prevents the wing root sitting fully into the recess. I eventually just glued the wing to the fuse without this, and then added later.

I also think I could have still manually reduced the wing fairing thickness too. as well as the surgery I did, but you can't just do that alone as the shape of the insert wall and protruding points stop the wing from pushing fully home as much as you'd like.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Where am I at with this? Well, the model is mostly assembled, and I've started to prep this for Uschi wood grain decal. 

For this, a base coat of Gunze Flesh goes down, followed by a thinned black for pre-shade, and Radome for lightening.

After this, the whole lot is blended with Radome.

More soon!

DSC00300.jpg

DSC00301.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

My last update for this one now, as it's finished. 

All metal shades done with Alclad (easy to use, Grant ;) ), and wood is Uschi's fine veneer wood decal.

Wash is Mig Productions 'dark wash', and model is sealed with Klear. 

Coming soon(ish) to a Tamiya Model Magazine International, near you!

DSC00511.jpg

DSC00512.jpg

DSC00513.jpg

DSC00517.jpg

DSC00514.jpg

DSC00515.jpg

• Like 6

• Administrators

That's drop dead gorgeous Jim ... congratulations!  I assume that's going to sit next to the Natter !!  <<hint, hint, wink, wink>>

Alclad duly ordered (for myself) - I get the hint!

....you can have it if you want it ;)