The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Infinity Models SB2C up

1 hour ago, Spitfire said:

That looks great, I'm looking forward to seeing the masks come off.

Cheers

Dennis

Thank you Dennis. Me too!!! Plus I'll be glad to finally be done with it. :)

• Like 2

Very awesome, John.  I have a rule I've had to apply to all aircraft builds:  If I'm masking an area I give it some gentle sanding with 1200 grit to give the paint something to hold on to.  Using Tamiya paints as my primer, it has never failed.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GazzaS said:

Very awesome, John.  I have a rule I've had to apply to all aircraft builds:  If I'm masking an area I give it some gentle sanding with 1200 grit to give the paint something to hold on to.  Using Tamiya paints as my primer, it has never failed.

Thanks Gaz, I'm glad you like it. And thanks for the tip. I'll give that a try as it sounds like a very workable approach. :)

• Like 2

• Administrators

I’ve gone to a cheap etching primer now that I can buy in a spray can at auto parts stores. I’ve used it on resin a lot, but have finally started using it on my short run kits.  Overkill?  Maybe, but I despise lifted paint. Lifted paint is a mojo killer.  This seems to have become more of a problem since environmental laws forced paint manufacturers to change their formulations. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Clunkmeister said:

This seems to have become more of a problem since environmental laws forced paint manufacturers to change their formulations. 

I think you are right on that one Ernie I have heard from some in the UK that Heller tubs have gone to S@#$.I still have old cans that behave beautifully.;)

• Like 3

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, KevinM said:

I think you are right on that one Ernie I have heard from some in the UK that Heller tubs have gone to S@#$.I still have old cans that behave beautifully.;)

Are you talking Humbrol?  If so, I’m right there with you.  The stuff isn’t as it once was. Not even close, which is a shame for those of us who like to model British aircraft, especially FAA and others that aren’t standard fare 1940-41 RAF. 

• Like 2

John

Nice recovery and the repairs look perfect. I'm adding a few bottles of Testors GSB to the paint racks as it seems to be the best rendition of the color. MOst others seem to have a bit too much green in them for my eye.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

I’ve gone to a cheap etching primer now that I can buy in a spray can at auto parts stores. I’ve used it on resin a lot but have finally started using it on my short run kits.  Overkill?  Maybe, but I despise lifted paint. Lifted paint is a mojo killer.  This seems to have become more of a problem since environmental laws forced paint manufacturers to change their formulations. 

Ernie

Right on the button. I always now use primers that are good for plastic, resin and metal., I mostly use MRP Primers (lacquer) and Mr Surfacer but MRP is my go to primer. What's the sense of using the reformulated primers and they have so little etching/sticking power?  I've also have my eye on primers from my hardware store and auto parts store, specifically made for metal and of course, that means decanting and thinning.

Pretty soom tradtional water color paints will be replacing all model paints, including the present acrylics the way things are going these days 🤧

• Like 2

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Ernie

Right on the button. I always now use primers that are good for plastic, resin and metal., I mostly use MRP Primers (lacquer) and Mr Surfacer but MRP is my go to primer. What's the sense of using the reformulated primers and they have so little etching/sticking power?  I've also have my eye on primers from my hardware store and auto parts store, specifically made for metal and of course, that means decanting and thinning.

Pretty soom tradtional water color paints will be replacing all model paints, including the present acrylics the way things are going these days 🤧

Peter, I’m to the point of not even trusting model primers anymore. Automotive metal primers are a known commodity, and I think even the cheapest spray bomb primer is many times better than the best hobby primer out there. 
After a few issues like John’s, I’m done. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Peterpools said:

John

Nice recovery and the repairs look perfect. I'm adding a few bottles of Testors GSB to the paint racks as it seems to be the best rendition of the color. MOst others seem to have a bit too much green in them for my eye.

Thank you Peter. I've been a fan of their GSB for quite a while as I'm sure you know. LOL

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Martinnfb said:

Almost there John, I was trying to send you PM with some info for you, no luck.

For some reason we can't send photos via a PM. Wish they would change that.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

Not photos, just a plain text. It said that you 'cannot receive massages'. Maybe a full mailbox ?

I'll check. Thanks.

Yep. That's what it was. 🙄

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Clunkmeister said:

Looking forward to the finished pics, John. I’m gonna need motivation for mine…

Still have some things to do on it. I'm finding I need to scratch build the under wing yagi antennas. Some of the "wires" on the kit items broke off when I was trying to carefully remove them from the sprue. My scratched ones will be better than they were anyway. LOL :)

• Like 3

• Administrators
10 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Unbelievable how you find these photographs .

Martin is a research fiend. Truly unbelievable. An absolute reference library, and quite honestly, he’s saved my bacon a time or two.

• Like 2