The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Infinity Models SB2C up

• Administrators
On 6/12/2022 at 2:45 PM, JohnB said:

I decided to set the windscreen in place just to check the fit. Here's what I found. ALWAYS gotta be SOMETHING!!!:wallbash:

6-12-22 B 001.jpg

6-12-22 B 002.jpg

Hold on a second. 

Not saying you’re wrong, but did you check references?  The Brewster Buffalo has an overhang like this that drove me insane until I saw it in a picture. 
But what I’d do here is simply just carefully sand the edge down to fit. No muss, no fuss, and 5 minutes out of your life.
I DO agree it’s a bit much to expect, but the rest of the windscreen looks decent, so, onward and upward. 

That being said, John, you’re kicking some serious donkey on this one!  Keep it up, I’m really liking what I’m seeing. 
The one thing you’ve convinced me of though is that I’ll be using the entire Resin2Detail cockpit on mine. That aftermarket pit is just loaded with detail. So much so, that if you’re not careful, you’ll cut off pipes, not sprues 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, JohnB said:

Good call I think Peter! :) Here's a link to their Vampire,

https://www.infinitymodels.cz/en/pripravujeme/vampire/

Thanks John for the link. The kit looks pretty simply and from what they show, not bad. After what you have been going through, I wouldn't venture into buying one without reading a bunch of completed build reviews and never put any faith in, in  box review, as they leave much to be desired. Maybe with the kit being design from the start as an injection molded kit rather then a rework of the HPH resin ki, this might increased the accuracy and address the fit issues. At best, it's a wait and see game now and I'm firmly standing on the wait and see side of the fence.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

Good to see you onboard, Andy.  I have this as well and will be giving it a go once I wrap up my MiG-29 and D.Vll.

Gonna be epic, John, just starting to read through now. 

Good luck Ernie!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

Hold on a second. 

Not saying you’re wrong, but did you check references?  The Brewster Buffalo has an overhang like this that drove me insane until I saw it in a picture. 
But what I’d do here is simply just carefully sand the edge down to fit. No muss, no fuss, and 5 minutes out of your life.
I DO agree it’s a bit much to expect, but the rest of the windscreen looks decent, so, onward and upward. 

That being said, John, you’re kicking some serious donkey on this one!  Keep it up, I’m really liking what I’m seeing. 
The one thing you’ve convinced me of though is that I’ll be using the entire Resin2Detail cockpit on mine. That aftermarket pit is just loaded with detail. So much so, that if you’re not careful, you’ll cut off pipes, not sprues 

Yes Ernie I did check references thank you. I did do a little trimming and the fit is better now. I'll just say, this and some of the other headaches, shouldn't have to be addressed in a kit that costs so much. I wasn't expecting Hasegawa or Tamiya quality when I started the build but come on, Infinity Models quality of fit, etc should equal the quality of the surface detail on the SB2CSOB.  😐

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Thanks John for the link. The kit looks pretty simply and from what they show, not bad. After what you have been going through, I wouldn't venture into buying one without reading a bunch of completed build reviews and never put any faith in, in  box review, as they leave much to be desired. Maybe with the kit being design from the start as an injection molded kit rather then a rework of the HPH resin ki, this might increased the accuracy and address the fit issues. At best, it's a wait and see game now and I'm firmly standing on the wait and see side of the fence.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

Good plan Peter. :)

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, KevinM said:

Now that it's been pointed out the hangover is legit do you think with some sanding and a paper patch it will mirror the pic? ;)

After I did a little trimming/sanding it looks acceptable now. :)

• Like 4

A little more progress. The windscreen seems to be fitting fairly well now. I attached the engine and taped the cowling in place to check it's fit. Topside is okay but the underside is another story. I'll have to lay on some styrene strip there. Just another thing to fix. 🤪

6-14-22 001.jpg

6-14-22 002.jpg

6-14-22 003.jpg

• Like 8

20 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

John

Good to see you're making progress on the Helldiver and I can fully understand your feelings about all the molding errors in the kit. Just takes all the joy out of the equation

Keep 'em comin

Peter

Thanks Peter. The poor quality of most of the moldings and related fit problems do take away a lot of the enjoyment. I've done some preliminary work on the wings and I have to say, it looks like THAT'S going to be a real chore. 😉

• Like 3

2 hours ago, JohnB said:

Topside is okay but the underside is another story. I'll have to lay on some styrene strip there. Just another thing to fix. 🤪

it's horses for courses but I'd make sure the topside is perfect and used an old lolly pop stick and some thick glue to fix the underside - once up on it's wheels put it on a low shelf and nobody will see under there and you'll forget after a few years :) 

Despite the problems faced you are making it look good, clearly your modelling skills are easily up to the task in hand.  Mine are not at that level but I'm still going to give this kit a go based on what you've done.  I suspect that at the end of the build you will feel a certain amount of satisfaction that it's made you work hard for the great results - something you would not have got if it was closer to shake and bake !! Keep going, you are inspiring me to do mine.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, npb748r said:

it's horses for courses but I'd make sure the topside is perfect and used an old lolly pop stick and some thick glue to fix the underside - once up on it's wheels put it on a low shelf and nobody will see under there and you'll forget after a few years :) 

Despite the problems faced you are making it look good, clearly your modelling skills are easily up to the task in hand.  Mine are not at that level but I'm still going to give this kit a go based on what you've done.  I suspect that at the end of the build you will feel a certain amount of satisfaction that it's made you work hard for the great results - something you would not have got if it was closer to shake and bake !! Keep going, you are inspiring me to do mine.

I very much appreciate the kind comments! It helps to make the build more worthwhile when you know it might be a inspiration to other modelers. :)

• Like 3

• Administrators

As I think Peter said, I think many of the issues being experienced are built in for converting molds designed for resin into proper IM molds.

My bet is that the Vampire will be a whole new ball of wax.  And the Vampire is a model we desperately need in 1/32.   
John, I blazed the way on the Kitty Hawk T-28. And the Kitty Hawk F-5F. My T-28B first was possibly the very first production kit built, period.  I found the problems and workarounds, and it’s a great feeling to be able to attempt it and complete it.  I guarantee you that you’ll find the same feeling at the end, and will experience the same joy in being able to show others the way. 
And, I expect you’ll soon be building another,… YOUR way with all the bells and whistles. 

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, Clunkmeister said:

As I think Peter said, I think many of the issues being experienced are built in for converting molds designed for resin into proper IM molds.

My bet is that the Vampire will be a whole new ball of wax.  And the Vampire is a model we desperately need in 1/32.   
John, I blazed the way on the Kitty Hawk T-28. And the Kitty Hawk F-5F. My T-28B first was possibly the very first production kit built, period.  I found the problems and workarounds, and it’s a great feeling to be able to attempt it and complete it.  I guarantee you that you’ll find the same feeling at the end, and will experience the same joy in being able to show others the way. 
And, I expect you’ll soon be building another,… YOUR way with all the bells and whistles. 

Thank you Ernie. I hope and expect this one will be a good looking model despite all the problems. However Ernie, there is NO WAY I'll want to build another one. 🤪

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, GazzaS said:

Is it done yet?  Sorry John...   I expect some kind of tempo from you. 

Just kidding!  I'm sure it'll be  beauty when you're done.

LOL Gaz. I hope it will be worth all the hassle but we will see. :)

• Like 2

More progress but one more problem found. I test fit the rear gunners turtleback window and found this problem with the fit. It's one thing after another on this SB2CSOB. 😐

6-15-22 001.jpg

6-15-22 002.jpg

6-15-22 004.jpg

6-15-22 003.jpg

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, HubertB said:

You know how the Navy guys of the time translated « SB2C » ? 
« Son of a B…h 2nd Class ». Looks appropriate in 1/32 as well :)

Hubert

Very much so Hubert. 🤪