Jump to content

ZM A-1 Skyraider back on tap!


Recommended Posts

Glad to see this back John. The wing fold is definitely a tricky part if not the trickiest part of the kit. I still don't know what black magic I conjured up when I did mine but the theoretical and the actual were one and the same.

I like Tamiya's approach with the Corsair in that it's either/or and not "it works!".

Carl

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Glad to see this back John. The wing fold is definitely a tricky part if not the trickiest part of the kit. I still don't know what black magic I conjured up when I did mine but the theoretical and the actual were one and the same.

I like Tamiya's approach with the Corsair in that it's either/or and not "it works!".

Carl

Agreed Carl. Tamiya has the right idea. Gimmicky "make work" stuff just makes a build more difficult and is usually useless. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

John

So glad to see the Skyraider is back on the bench and you're using all your magical powers to have successfully completed the rescue. Completely agree that the toy like movable parts of a kit is always a problem, for the most part never fit correctly and if they are included: they should actually fit. Another vote that the wing fold should be as Tamiya did with their Corsair - one way or another. Even all the toy like movable control surfaces of the earlier Tamiya and Trumpeter kits have long vanished - an idea and approach that never really worked well.

 

     

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Peterpools said:

John

So glad to see the Skyraider is back on the bench and you're using all your magical powers to have successfully completed the rescue. Completely agree that the toy like movable parts of a kit is always a problem, for the most part never fit correctly and if they are included: they should actually fit. Another vote that the wing fold should be as Tamiya did with their Corsair - one way or another. Even all the toy like movable control surfaces of the earlier Tamiya and Trumpeter kits have long vanished - an idea and approach that never really worked well.

 

     

Agreed Peter. Leave off the fiddly toy-like stuff Mr. Mura and others. That might have been a good idea back in the 60's or so but not now.

I'm pleased to have been able to "fix" the wings and get this build back on track. I've decided to build it as a Lt. Gull Gray/white US Navy a/c instead of the USAF SEA one I had originally intended. Since I was able to get a resupply of the LGG I can get with that scheme (I used up the last of my supply of LGG on the F-4 but, thanks to Scott and Jerry, I have a good supply on hand now. Thanks guys!!!). :)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

John

Absolutely all the toy like movable features should have been left off way back in the early 70's at best. Kits with movable parts are more toy like and should be directed at a different market. Glad you have your re-supple of enamels and am going navy.

    

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, Kaireckstadt said:

Completely agree with you: movable surfaces only lead to problem.

Great surgery and progress John! 

Thank you Kai! I think it will make a very attractive model in it's gray/white Navy scheme. :)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Bomber_County said:

Good save John, didn’t Tamiya do something similar in an early 32nd kit…..only having built the Corsair badly not sure which one…….

Hi Phil

I'm pretty sure the only32nd scale Tamiya kit with folding wings is their Corsair series. But when Tamiya offers the option of closed or open panels, the fit is quite good, especially on their 48th scale F-14's and F4B kits. 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, GazzaS said:

I'm taking the "3 days" spot in the "how long until it goes back on the SOD" pool.

Keep up the good work, John!

 

I'd say you might be SOL on this one Gaz. LOL:)

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bomber_County said:

Good save John, didn’t Tamiya do something similar in an early 32nd kit…..only having built the Corsair badly not sure which one…….

Thanks Phil. I don't recall anything like that but that doesn't mean it wasn't done. :)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

Good save John, didn’t Tamiya do something similar in an early 32nd kit…..only having built the Corsair badly not sure which one…….

I think the Zero has folding wingtips. It's the kit with the most working features that they slowly moved away from. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

John

Aces on the marking - whose decals? I noticed Firewood 209, Miss Pussy Galore. has to be James Bond related.

   

They are C.A.P. decals and I have no idea as to where I got them or when. I think the squadron was on Yankee Station and used those just for fun. There were two others named King of the Load and Puff the Magic Dragon. Firewood 201 and 204. Maybe others but that's all that are on the sheet. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

John

Amazing progress and looking so good.

 

 

Thank you Peter. I plan to attach the landing gear next then start decaling. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Kaireckstadt said:

Great progress John. Will be a stunner in the end! 

Coming right along now Kai. Decaling in progress so it won't be too long now! :)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Outstanding, John! Will it be showroom new, or will you do some exhaust staining?

FYI - the Tamiya Zero provides the option for folded or extended wing tips. They aren't "working" folds.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...