Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Dragon Jagdpanzer IV 70 (A) Kit 6015 with Panzer Art figures

Hi everyone...

Seems like it took forever, but it's finally done.  Special thanks to those who contributed to the  build thread.   You know who you are.

IMG_0877.JPG

IMG_0878.JPG

IMG_0879.JPG

IMG_0881.JPG

IMG_0882.JPG

IMG_0884.JPG

IMG_0885.JPG

IMG_0886.JPG

IMG_0887.JPG

IMG_0888.JPG

IMG_0889.JPG

IMG_0890.JPG

IMG_0891.JPG

IMG_0892.JPG

IMG_0894.JPG

IMG_0895.JPG

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

Perfect! enough said 

34 minutes ago, Kaireckstadt said:

Great tank and figures Gary. Like Martinfb said: simply perfect. 
I especially love the way you painted the figures. 

Thank you very much, my friends!

• Like 3

Stunning result Gaz, especially on the figures.

They're one of the reaons my Comet dio is stalled as my figures look like s**t compared to these and it's a bit of a mojo killer.

• Like 3

Great build, great presentation Gary. The Jagdpanzer looks fantastic, with all  the tiny bits and pieces and the figures are super cool (in the words sense) I like te mix of light shadow, dirt and abrasion on them, perfect

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

23 hours ago, GusMac said:

Stunning result Gaz, especially on the figures.

They're one of the reaons my Comet dio is stalled as my figures look like s**t compared to these and it's a bit of a mojo killer.

8 hours ago, DocRob said:

Great build, great presentation Gary. The Jagdpanzer looks fantastic, with all  the tiny bits and pieces and the figures are super cool (in the words sense) I like te mix of light shadow, dirt and abrasion on them, perfect

Cheers Rob

7 hours ago, HubertB said:

Excellent ! I hope that one day I’ll be able to paint figures as well as you.

Hubert

4 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

Gaz, absolutely stunning…….I think we will promote you to Chief Figure Guru……seriously stunning diorama……

Thank you, everyone!  A couple years ago, one of the figure artists in my club said practice, practice, practice.  And honestly I thought to myself:  "BS, I'll never be able to make decent figures."  But despite my belief, improvement came.

The two things that made things happen were a commitment to have at least one figure with every build, and using the various materials i have on hand to find a method that works for me.  Grahame M.(the artist I mentioned above) is an all acrylics guy.  I tried his method and it didn't work for me.  My figures came out lumpy with poor transitions between colors.

I've also tried the Nightshift (from youtube) method and that didn't work, either.  He is also mostly acrylics.

I've used oils (which take an irritating long time to dry thoroughly), aqueous acrylics, enamels, Tamiya acrylics, and lacquers to find my way to where I am now.  On these figures I used everything but the oils, replacing them with enamels since they dry faster.  To blend the shading on the white uniforms I used a very thinned MRP lacquer pushed through the airbrush.  To avoid getting overspray on the already finished faces, I used blutack as a mask.  And for the final soiling of the white uniforms I used pigments.

Other things that helped me were working on a larger scale figure and buying quality figures.  A well-sculpted face is a lot easier to paint than an old Tamiya or Dragon face.

Here are a couple of figures (not 1/35) painted by the figure artist Grahame M. I mentioned.

239521289_2739246876330608_1482135071109134129_n.thumb.jpg.e2c81a6705032f9f9b0eba0da13746d0.jpg29339652_1869622413293063_3586044452298293248_n.thumb.jpg.2390e888da2f49deb7ef222e13f33e7c.jpg

• Like 4

Gaz

I've always admired figure Painters, who are 3D artists. I've tried painting figures a few times, especially in my model railroading days, and they were terrible. Even now, I've 'sort of tried' and being so frustrated, just threw in the towel. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Gaz

I've always admired figure Painters, who are 3D artists. I've tried painting figures a few times, especially in my model railroading days, and they were terrible. Even now, I've 'sort of tried' and being so frustrated, just threw in the towel. 

Peter, you're the best detail painter I know.  So I know you can take what your eye sees and apply it to an object.  And that you have a steady hand.  

Lot's of guys out there never complete anything because they can't satisfy their own demands.  So I understand where you're coming from.

• Like 2

Gaz

Thank you so much for the very kind words, so very much appreciated. I guess it's part of getting older and learning to deal with aging and some medical issues that set new limits on what you can and can't not do. I'm just happy to be back at the bench and enjoying modeling again, as a few years ago, I didn't know if that was ever going to happen.

• Like 3