The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

Kit of the year

Fran

• Administrators

Guys i think we should vote for the kit of the year - only kits release in 2013.

And then the winner kit should have a GB in 2014 (duration: one year, starting in January) if possible ( if the HpH Cat wins maybe not - ;)

Cheers

Francisco

• Like 4

• Administrators

Good idea.

I think a kit of the year should have done something for the hobby by raising the bar or breaking down a wall that and leading the way for new things to come.

The 1/24 Typhoon does that in respect of the stressed metal skin effect that i have not seen before on a model. But this model won't be released this year.

The HK Models B17 is huge. A very bold statement in the hobby. It gets my respect.

But if I had to choose I'd go for the Cat... Not that I'd ever build one, but the detail, engineering, getting resin in quality so close to Injection plastic... That is raising the bar in my book. 

• Like 1

• Administrators

Erik B. one of the GB will end at February. The others will end in April and July. So i think that possible to do a GB kit of the year.

Benjamim the kit of the year can be an armour one.... Or we can have aircraft and armour category....

For me the kit of the year is the HpH Cat.

But i will vote more two.. A top 3...

Só my top 3:

HpH Cat

HpH Walrus

WNW Fokker D.VII..

Armour/light armour/vehicle

Meng DR9

Takom Object 279

Miniart European Tram ( i know that not armour but an awesome kit)

• Like 1

I love the idea.

We'll need to collate the kits which are being proposed, then do a poll.

... Maybe like the Oscars ... The 'Best Of' type awards for different categories with the big banana going to the overall LSPOTY (Large Scale Product Of The Year) ...

Some Ideas ...

* 1/32-35 Figurines.

* 1-32 IM Kits

* 1/32 Resin Kits

* 1/35 IM Armour

* 1/35 Resin

* 1/32-35 Other (other medium)

* 1/32-35 AM

Rog :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

Well guys, the votes above are:

(all in 1:32)

Tamiya Corsair F4U-1 - I

WnW Fokker D.VII series: III

Rvell Me 109 G-6 - I

HPH Catlina: II

HPH Walrus- II

ZM UHU - I...

Maybe we should make a poll without the Cat!! :)

Maybe instead of (or in addition) we should vote for "manufacturer of the year"  maybe a category for IP and for resin?  Otherwise companies that bring us several kits in one year might get penalized because votes get spread out among the kits, while someone that only has one kit could win with a lessor number of votes.

Doug

I haven't got much from last year...

I don't think the Revell G-6 is good enough for that accolade...

If I had to choose it'd be the ZM He219 or Tamiya Corsair. My assessment though would be from a mere fondle of the 219 at a club meet and never seeing the Corsair in the flesh... Again the B-17 is a stunner, but not one I have or am likely to have in the near future...

Not really sure what I'm actually saying here...?

Matt

Having "fondled" both I would take the Corsair over the Uhu. Not saying there's anything wrong with the 219. While the F4U is beautifully engineered, the ZM is a little over engineered.. Just wish Tamiya would release the -4. Hopefully when they release the −1A Someone will do a conversion.

• Tamiya F4U
  • ZM 219
  • Hasegawa N1K2-J

Have drooled over these and are beautiful.  Hasegawa should get an additional atta boy for upping their game on the Shiden.

Totally agree on the above... Got my Shinden Kai couple of days ago and looks fantastic

ZM Uhu or maybe Tamiya Corsair...

In armour I suppose one of the WWI releases - that field is increasing but are any of them simply stellar kits? In my opinion not.

The 1/16 Tiger really is not that good - it is big, but simply not very accurate.

So, lots of very good kits across many genre, but to be honest I would struggle to pick a couple which are just mega 'wow' for me...

• Like 1

My favourite kits of 2013 are PCM and Special Hobby, the Hawker Tempest, and the Fiat G-50, both significant aircraft that have not been kitted by the "mainstream" manufacturers before in 1/32 scale. This has been particularly frustrating in the case of the Hawker Tempest which was arguably the RAF's best fighter aircraft of WW2 but has been ignored by the kit makers.

Cheers

Dennis