Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Infinity Models SB2C-4 Helldiver. Finished. Well, OK, maybe not.

• Administrators
5 hours ago, GazzaS said:

Those dive flaps look pretty awesome, Ernie.  I wonder if they contributed much drag to the wing when they were retracted.

Well, they’re shot full of holes of various calibers, so I’d expect they don’t help. 🤣

I did read that the holes were added to cure a buffeting problem while diving. So they obviously did something for airflow. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

As the others mentioned, paintjob looks spot on, but the top wow goes to the flaps, absolutely the signature parts of the Helldiver :2c: and the extra detailing helps a lot. I have a SH 1/72 Helldiver with more PE for it than plastic, I am frightened of that build :D.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

• Administrators
1 hour ago, DocRob said:

As the others mentioned, paintjob looks spot on, but the top wow goes to the flaps, absolutely the signature parts of the Helldiver :2c: and the extra detailing helps a lot. I have a SH 1/72 Helldiver with more PE for it than plastic, I am frightened of that build :D.

Cheers Rob

You guys funny!  I laid a quick coat of Sea Blue  on the top. That’s it. Now we do the all important middle color

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

• Administrators

I’ll do the fixes and fills on the intermediate blue today.   I’m getting OLD!  I used to be able to freehand the soft color lines on various camo s, but now I’m shaking all over. Plus, my ancient VL finally crapped out on me, so out came the brand new Grex I bought two years ago and that I’m learning to like. 
Like I said, weathering is gonna be a bear, but I have plenty of grey and insignia white. 😂

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
On 12/29/2022 at 9:52 PM, Winnie said:

I want to fly one once.... 8 throttles. awesome!

Clint Eastwood should do a movie with the B-52.   Or even the B-36.    

They could call it “A Fistful of Throttles”.  😁

• Haha 7

• Administrators

I expect the cowl color separations need to softened a bit, but other than that, we can start wrecking the paint and making it look trashed. 
There is NOTHING uglier that pristine glossy dark sea blue on an unbroken surface. Yuck!

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

I’ll do the fixes and fills on the intermediate blue today.   I’m getting OLD!  I used to be able to freehand the soft color lines on various camo s, but now I’m shaking all over. Plus, my ancient VL finally crapped out on me, so out came the brand new Grex I bought two years ago and that I’m learning to like. 
Like I said, weathering is gonna be a bear, but I have plenty of grey and insignia white. 😂

Ernie

Join the club. As I hit my late sixties, my steady air brush hands weren't as steady as they use to be. After chemo, it was worse, but over time I improved and found alternatives to freehand cammo.  I now look at it, I just I'm glad to still be able to build and do the best I can. Maybe we're like aging athletes (🙃), the glory days are behind us and new adventures ahead.

I have all my Iwata and H&S air brushes for close to twenty years and except for changing seals, tips and needles, all work just fine. I do have a Grix I use for Model Air paints and it's equal to my other air brushes in every way.

• Thanks 1