The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

stash problem

mark31

Just something about that classic ‘57 look though.  I found a rag top my son said I could probably trade for.  Fully restored.  And as you said Ernie, that’s the problem. It’s all original.  
I want a modern upgraded suspension, stock LS, quiet exhaust, AC, power windows, etc.  As I told my wife, that $125,000 convertible would be a money and time pit. 

Here’s a modernized ‘55 my son is driving for his boss.  He bought it to flip it.  Of course he paid full retail plus on a dying classic.  Not many want these like they use to. 

2C01E286-386E-4321-AEE6-D730AE29B217.thumb.jpeg.c7cdbef6951296c359417bc486cd4a03.jpeg

• Like 5

• Administrators
14 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

Y’all are rank amateurs!  I have absolutely NO idea how many kits are in my stash.

3 Lancs: 2x HK and 1x Bordernut

3x B-17: 1x late G, 2x E/F

2x B-24

6x T-28s, both B and C

1:200 Arizona, Titanic/Olympic/Britannic, Hood, Bismarck, Yamato, etc

150+ Wingnut kits

Various Tamiya, ZM, Hasegawa, Trumpetboss, and other mainstream kits

1/24 Tiffie of each type, and two 1/24 F6F’s  

and a complete closet filled with resin: multiple of each HPH kit in 1/32 except for DC-3 and PBY of which are only one each, multiples of all 1/32 Silver Wings and most Lukgraph, HapH 1/72 Russian airliners, and one each 1/48 B-36, B-52, and B-70.

I’ve trimmed it down a bit, getting rid of multiples of plastic stuff I might only build one of, but have picked up JetMads Viggen and soon to get Stilleto and Lear. 
Y’all will have some good pickings once I check out for good. 
Had done some remodeling of my barn to suit the old car situation, so models have all been moved to the other side of the building. 

0244C4DC-DDB2-47B8-A67A-47F028C24269.jpeg

EB0940FD-D819-4E2D-BB16-FECC108C93C4.jpeg

02B28A6F-6337-4380-A88E-D925B13507E8.jpeg

6A4FCA96-F773-445E-ACB4-DA04140BB369.jpeg

E067C276-4F33-4E8C-B71D-1691C3ABD8D6.jpeg

59F63783-0CAF-40A8-AB63-2657DEF0230A.jpeg

Well Ernie, there`s a lot of Model shop with way lots less models that you!! :D

Thats some priceless models and severel repetead ones!! :D

I do have almost 300... circa 50 are WnW! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
3 hours ago, ScottsGT said:

Just something about that classic ‘57 look though.  I found a rag top my son said I could probably trade for.  Fully restored.  And as you said Ernie, that’s the problem. It’s all original.  
I want a modern upgraded suspension, stock LS, quiet exhaust, AC, power windows, etc.  As I told my wife, that $125,000 convertible would be a money and time pit. 

Here’s a modernized ‘55 my son is driving for his boss.  He bought it to flip it.  Of course he paid full retail plus on a dying classic.  Not many want these like they use to. 

2C01E286-386E-4321-AEE6-D730AE29B217.thumb.jpeg.c7cdbef6951296c359417bc486cd4a03.jpeg

Guys wanting original cars are few, now. People dying off.  Most guys go for a brand new car with an old body on top with 24” ghetto wheels, etc

If I was to do that I’d do a 57 Ford Custom 300 2dr sedan.  I happen to have a solid body out back….

A 5.0 Coyote and T56 would turn that into a monster. It came stock with a 9” rear. 

87717F85-F9FC-4FDF-8D64-827503955DCE.jpeg

4FDFACED-1EAA-46C7-8543-CC465F882B2E.jpeg

A76E7280-28A7-45DA-B8BE-12AE901B0B1B.jpeg

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

Yep.  Once, back in the day, single seater Wingnut kits were less than $60 shipped right to your door. That’s half what a Tamiya kit was selling for. 

I was gonna comment on the 150....  But decided not to do it.  But 60 bucks?  When I first learned of them the single seaters were already $90 plus postage.  How long ago were the 60?

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

Guys wanting original cars are few, now. People dying off.  Most guys go for a brand new car with an old body on top with 24” ghetto wheels, etc

If I was to do that I’d do a 57 Ford Custom 300 2dr sedan.  I happen to have a solid body out back….

A 5.0 Coyote and T56 would turn that into a monster. It came stock with a 9” rear. 

87717F85-F9FC-4FDF-8D64-827503955DCE.jpeg

4FDFACED-1EAA-46C7-8543-CC465F882B2E.jpeg

A76E7280-28A7-45DA-B8BE-12AE901B0B1B.jpeg

When you said out back, you weren't kidding. 

• Like 3

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, Martinnfb said:

If it was first generation Thunderbird, I would be already camping in your backyard with a bunch of sandpaper. :)

Probably the best all around handling car from the 1950s. Corvette was stiffer ride, but had no comfort.  The Thunderbird has gobs of power, power accessories, a d big, heavy duty sway bars to control roll.  Plus, they are drop dead gorgeous. 

And, if you have ever wanted one, now’s the time.  There are tons of them around, (they were classics from day 1), and those that loved them are dying, with younger generations preferring Honda’s, not the Tbird.  They’ve dropped a TON in value. People still try to get big bucks, but unless it’s a special car like a supercharged or dual quad 57, they can be had for around 20-25 if you’re patient. A 55 like this can be had all day for that kind of money, once the owner realizes it ain’t gonna sell for 40K.

BA7E4F75-5DAB-4CC1-AB86-59FDB0CCD48B.jpeg

• Like 7

• Administrators
Just now, Clunkmeister said:

Probably the best all around handling car from the 1950s. Corvette was stiffer ride, but had no comfort.  The Thunderbird has gobs of power, power accessories, a d big, heavy duty sway bars to control roll.  Plus, they are drop dead gorgeous. 

And, if you have ever wanted one, now’s the time.  There are tons of them around, (they were classics from day 1), and those that loved them are dying, with younger generations preferring Honda’s, not the Tbird.  They’ve dropped a TON in value. People still try to get big bucks, but unless it’s a special car like a supercharged or dual quad 57, they can be had for around 20-25 if you’re patient. A 55 like this can be had all day for that kind of money, once the owner realizes it ain’t gonna sell for 40K.

BA7E4F75-5DAB-4CC1-AB86-59FDB0CCD48B.jpeg

Martin, you really oughta find one. But come down here to buy. Not up there. They’re much more common here. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

with younger generations preferring Honda’s

No kidding. I had a 2000 Civic SiR. Bought it new for less than sticker  ($22k CAD, list was $23ish) which shocked the sales guy. Sold it 2 years later for just over sticker and last year's someone sold one for $80k USD. A Honda Civic....

• Like 4

It’s a damned shame Ford didn’t built the newer retro T-bird on a Mustang chassis instead of that stupid jag platform.  That car would be worth a fortune today with Mustang guys.  Imagine that with a Coyote under the hood. 

• Like 3

• Administrators
41 minutes ago, ScottsGT said:

It’s a damned shame Ford didn’t built the newer retro T-bird on a Mustang chassis instead of that stupid jag platform.  That car would be worth a fortune today with Mustang guys.  Imagine that with a Coyote under the hood. 

Exactly. Now, it has all the problems expected with older Jag vegetable based wiring looms. Field mice LOVE them. A. Ice, light snack

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I hear you guys, but It was fazed out before the S-197 platform was introduced or the Coyote engine developed , perhaps to make a space for its development. 
having said that there are some crazy Coyote conversions out there  ….. and no , I don’t miss mine at all. Nope 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

I hear you guys, but It was fazed out before the S-197 platform was introduced or the Coyote engine developed , perhaps to make a space for its development. 
having said that there are some crazy Coyote conversions out there  ….. and no , I don’t miss mine at all. Nope 

Yea, conversion is where I’m going.  Speaking of….thread creep….

Meet Cousin Eddie. My sons “V6 1996 Mustang”.  Twin turbo LS swapped.  He glued this crap,together over the past three years to get it to Mustang Week at Myrtle Beach last week.  The week before he was swapping the short block with a Pull A Part truck motor.  And he got it done in time to drive it from Charleston, even with the non-fitting Camaro radiator. 
Hmmm, can’t remember if I’ve already posted this here or not.  
MOFJTv.jpg

• Like 5

On 8/6/2022 at 4:14 PM, Clunkmeister said:

Yep.  Once, back in the day, single seater Wingnut kits were less than $60 shipped right to your door. That’s half what a Tamiya kit was selling for. 

Keep your gun loaded, now that it's public, they will come for you. And the scalpers won't take the cars :D.

Cheers Rob

• Like 1
  • Haha 5