Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Sold My First 'Built' Model today.

GazzaS

I've decided that instead of chucking my old builds into the bin when I run out of space, I would at least try to get some money back for them.  So, I sold my Erwin Leykauf Hasegawa 1/32 Bf 109F4.

I saw a video over at TOS where a guy who regularly sold his models, demonstrated his packaging method.  I followed his method step for step except that I added the four pink pillars of dense insulating foam.  You've all had that moment when a heavier box landed corner first on the exact center of another box, right?  Hopefully it gets there in one piece.  I have my doubts.  But I did write a fragility warning into the description at EBay.

IMG_1162.thumb.JPG.3820a4a2ac04da9ffb0f2f6dd38e9b43.JPG

The framework is all glued into the box.  Nothing can move without snipping those rubber bands, or using a hammer or axe.  God's speed, little buddy.

I didn't ask a lot for it.  And it sold in two days.  I know some people ask crazy amounts for them.  Maybe I will for a subject I really love, someday.

Used a lot of hot glue, I'll tell ya!

Anyone else ever ship one?  

• Like 9

1 hour ago, GazzaS said:

The framework is all glued into the box.  Nothing can move without snipping those rubber bands, or using a hammer or axe.  God's speed, little buddy.

I didn't ask a lot for it.  And it sold in two days.  I know some people ask crazy amounts for them.  Maybe I will for a subject I really love, someday.

Used a lot of hot glue, I'll tell ya!

Anyone else ever ship one?

Congratulations Gary to your new enterprise. I wish you (and the new owner) luck with the transport. Tha packing should do the job.
Are you sure, somebody is paying for 'love', I can't imagine.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, DocRob said:

Congratulations Gary to your new enterprise. I wish you (and the new owner) luck with the transport. Tha packing should do the job.
Are you sure, somebody is paying for 'love', I can't imagine.

Cheers Rob

Thank you, Rob!

• Like 3

Congratulations on the sale!  Good to know there is a market for others completed models.  I was wondering just the other day what to do with mine, especially after seeing how big the stash has grown.  For me modeling has always been more about the journey than the destination (I usually get an odd, almost depressed feeling when I finally complete one), but throwing them into the trash just doesn't seem right.

My wooden ship models are really fragile with all the masting and rigging.  I only have one done now, but I've been considering donating it to a library, school, daycare center, etc.  They take up quite a bit of room.

Congrats again!

• Like 3

Gaz

Congrats on your first sale. The amount doesn't matter as you made the sale and the best way to thin out the models that are giving up shelf space for newer builds. Thanks for sharing your shipping method - lots of work but surely safe and sound

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Great idea Gary. Something I'll have to keep in mind if I ever do a purge. 

Carl

Thank you...   I find myself looking at anything else I  could sell and the packaging difficulties that may come.  Kind of daunting.

30 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

Gaz

Congrats on your first sale. The amount doesn't matter as you made the sale and the best way to thin out the models that are giving up shelf space for newer builds. Thanks for sharing your shipping method - lots of work but surely safe and sound

Thanks, Peter.  The frame is sturdy.  It supported this model over bumpy roads with no problems.

22 minutes ago, belugawhaleman said:

Congrats! Making modeling a profitable endeavor........ What a concept!

Thank you.  Not sure about profitable.  I didn't charge for the 'labor'.  

• Like 1

I’ve never had the chance or thought about selling any of mine.   But I did build on for my MD a few years ago and gave it to him when it was done.   It really feels weird seeing all my build pics of it and the completed model and to have never had it in my display case to look at all the time.  
I showed this thread to my wife.  Of course she is now encouraging me to sell my stash and my built kits.  🤪  That woman be crazy. 

• Haha 1