The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Group Builds.

Clunkmeister

• Administrators

One of the other reasons I like the occasional GB is because we’re a laid back, easy going, friendly place with little to absolutely no drama.  And, due to that, we’re slowly growing. That’s an awesome thing. We’ve added a couple more Mods (the most boring job in the world, here) and with the extra help, we can better work through any editing y’all need done. 
I think an occasional GB we’ll help give us all a bit of friendly competition as we have fun.  We all just keep on doing what we’re doing, and it’ll be great. This place is a labor of love for all of us, and I think the Wet GB will be fun. 

Refresh my memory…

Dec 1 start, right?  I’m an old man with a great, but short, memory 

• Like 9

I haven't participated in a GB before, but would try it out especially if it's a "it gets wet" build.  I have a bunch of seaplanes in the stash, and just happened to score an HpH Walrus the other day.  I'd probably start something easier than the HpH Walrus - I have the 1/48 Airfix Walrus with the Neomega catapult set) and a bunch others in 1/48 like the Goose, Catalina, Ju52 with floats, F1M2 Pete, etc.  

Anyway, whenever you guys want to start is cool with me.  I sorta work on models and then get bored and move on, so this would cause me to be a little more focused on a single subject if others are progressing on their builds.

• Like 5

17 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

I think an occasional GB we’ll help give us all a bit of friendly competition as we have fun.

That sounds good Ernie I was going to say some abusive stuff about some members Peter ,Rob,Gary.Carl ........but figure I just lay back.I still like to play like I am still 20 sometimes life is to short not to have some fun.:)

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Peterpools said:

December 1st is a bit tight for me as I wanted to start and finish my ZM 109 before the GB started. I'm in with the old, Monogram Vought Kingfisher, it's in the stash and ready to go.

You got to multi-task Peter multi-task!!😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• Administrators
On 9/29/2022 at 8:28 AM, Landlubber Mike said:

I haven't participated in a GB before, but would try it out especially if it's a "it gets wet" build.  I have a bunch of seaplanes in the stash, and just happened to score an HpH Walrus the other day.  I'd probably start something easier than the HpH Walrus - I have the 1/48 Airfix Walrus with the Neomega catapult set) and a bunch others in 1/48 like the Goose, Catalina, Ju52 with floats, F1M2 Pete, etc.  

Anyway, whenever you guys want to start is cool with me.  I sorta work on models and then get bored and move on, so this would cause me to be a little more focused on a single subject if others are progressing on their builds.

That HPH Walrus is a TOUGH build. I’d be careful of getting carried away in the wireless room, because after super detailing it, the lower wing support wire cuts right through the middle of it all.  Drat! (OK, Ernie made a funny) hopefully SOMEBODY gets the joke 

There is also absolutely no jig included to align the engine and upper wing.  The instructions give the angles, but you need to build a jig of your own design. Not tough for a ship modeler, but for someone who builds nothing but Trumpeter, Tamiya, and Hasegawa, they WILL have an issue  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
On 9/29/2022 at 4:54 PM, KevinM said:

That sounds good Ernie I was going to say some abusive stuff about some members Peter ,Rob,Gary.Carl ........but figure I just lay back.I still like to play like I am still 20 sometimes life is to short not to have some fun.:)

I like to come unglue on people too, in my mind, but then I just start laughing when I can’t keep a straight face. I always start laughing when I say “twatwaffle”

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

That HPH Walrus is a TOUGH build. I’d be careful of getting carried away in the wireless room, because after super detailing it, the lower wing support wire cuts right through the middle of it all.  Drat! (OK, Ernie made a funny) hopefully SOMEBODY gets the joke 

There is also absolutely no jig included to align the engine and upper wing.  The instructions give the angles, but you need to build a jig of your own design. Not tough for a ship modeler, but for someone who builds nothing but Trumpeter, Tamiya, and Hasegawa, they WILL have an issue  

Ugh, thanks for that info Ernie.  I also have the HpH Me410 - is that any better?

• Like 4

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Ugh, thanks for that info Ernie.  I also have the HpH Me410 - is that any better?

It is, but it’s a kit you need to be careful with. If you can build a wooden ship, you can build the Walrus. It’s a gorgeous model.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Winnie said:

I have a special hobby T-2 I want to build, it fits with the water theme, as it was a trainer most carrier pilots had as a first carrier landing from the 70's to the 00s anyway. Quite a few I'm sure ended in the drink too...

I was thinking about this one too. But my choices will be dictated by a pragmatic condideration: since my last move ( in February), the stash has been stacked and filmed on a palet, waiting for the next move. So, I’ll choose what I can get access to (unless I decide I « absolutely need » to buy a new kit :rolleyes: ). A first inspection has shown a two-pronged choice : an Aerotech Gloster IV, or Trumpeter’s 1/200 Titanic … Ah decisions, decisions 😵

Hubert

11 minutes ago, Winnie said:

I have a special hobby T-2 I want to build, it fits with the water theme, as it was a trainer most carrier pilots had as a first carrier landing from the 70's to the 00s anyway. Quite a few I'm sure ended in the drink too...

I was thinking about this one too. But my choices will be dictated by a pragmatic condideration: since my last move ( in February), the stash has been stacked and filmed on a palet, waiting for the next move. So, I’ll choose what I can get access to (unless I decide I « absolutely need » to buy a new kit :rolleyes: ). A first inspection has shown a two-pronged choice : an Aerotech Gloster IV, or Trumpeter’s 1/200 Titanic … Ah decisions, decisions 😵

Hubert

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Winnie said:

@HubertB I have the Titanic in 1/200 as well, at less than 10% build, but it is a massive undertaking... I have a shitload (if I can use that term) of aftermarket, including a self-produced set, but It'll be WAY more than 6 months to complete that project!

Agreed. My « choices » are in fact rather limited and my comment definitely tongue-in-cheek.

Hubert

• Like 2

I have that Revell Type IX C/40 whose box is about a meter in length.  I'm scared to even open the box!  Frankly, I don't think I have the space to actually build it, let alone display it after I'm done.  I do have that old Revell 1/125 U-47 visible Interior U-Boat kit....not exactly 'Large Scale". How about a Hobby Boss P-61B Black Widow?  It gets left out in the rain alot!  Starts Dec 1?

• Like 2

Well Guys I have changed my mine I am going the Revell 1/32 Arado 196A-3 already eyeing a couple of aftermarket pieces.I got some stuff today from HLJ for the Scharnhorst and plan on starting but ready to start in November.The two kits will go hand in hand in the future..;)

• Like 1

I've been giving this one some thought too.  I have a bunch of float planes like the F1M1 Pete, the HpH Walrus, and the Kitty Hawk Kingfisher.  I also have a bunch of ships in 1/350 and 1/700 scale I can do, but having just completed my IJN Shimakaze destroyer, I think I want to push myself into something new.

If you guys are ok with non-LSMs as part of the group build, I was thinking of building the 1/48 Airfix Walrus:

image.jpeg.f99029449d245ebc606e27ede2ff74d4.jpeg

on top of the NeOmega catapult set:

image.jpeg.c599c678c792a889f5f295d341ec134f.jpegimage.jpeg.497b1b4aedf6ce18955eecf6ef7a3781.jpeg

Since I didn't want to build the Walrus using a silver scheme, this past week I was researching camo schemes for the Walrus that were launched from ship catapults.  I found a couple that were with the HMS Albatross and ordered the related decal and masking sets.  Here are the two schemes I'm leaning towards - more likely the first to have something a little different from the HpH kit and I confirmed there was a non-trainer version with the Vickers guns:

image.thumb.jpeg.9ded3a367d247e2acc8863bdd747892f.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.aa8da95f1c571896d5c967e30e6a6c2d.jpeg

I was all excited to do this, but then to top it off, this week while researching the camo schemes and the HMS Albatross, I happened to come across this 1/700 kit from Niko models of the Albatross that includes a Walrus for the catapult, which happened to be on sale at Free Time Hobbies.  I immediately placed the order and it looks like I managed to snag the last one:

image.jpeg.42caf8dd89934dadacbbe4305686c5b9.jpeg

So, now I'm thinking of putting together a combined display of the Airfix Walrus on a catapult representing one of the planes on the HMS Albatross, with the 1/700 version of the Albatross having the same Walrus plane in miniature as part of the overall display.  Sort of like here is a close-in shot of the Walrus on the catapult, and here is the pulled back miniature version of what the Walrus looked like on the full ship.  I'm thinking a two tiered display with the 1/48 Walrus/catapult as the main, higher tier of the display, with the 1/700 version presented on a lower tier to the side and/or front of the main Walrus.

I know I'm committing a double sin of not using large-scale models, but is this ok for the group build?  

• Like 3

18 hours ago, KevinM said:

Well Guys I have changed my mine I am going the Revell 1/32 Arado 196A-3 already eyeing a couple of aftermarket pieces.I got some stuff today from HLJ for the Scharnhorst and plan on starting but ready to start in November.The two kits will go hand in hand in the future..;)

Awesome choice Kevin!  Looking forward to both builds!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Looking forward to both builds!

Your thought was my thought for future shows represent the ship and then the plane.I built the Walrus gawd from some old kit MPC maybe has the three colors of plastic it actually came out pretty good Mike and the tilt of the engine it's real ;)

• Like 2

How about something TV/Science Fiction related that is wet? And I’ll add, it’s big. Really big. So it fits the large Scale Modeler category as well. 
I’ve been thinking about pulling it out of the stash and building it anyway, so it would be perfect timing. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ScottsGT said:

How about something TV/Science Fiction related that is wet? And I’ll add, it’s big. Really big. So it fits the large Scale Modeler category as well. 
I’ve been thinking about pulling it out of the stash and building it anyway, so it would be perfect timing. 

Seaview? 

My second guess would be Nautilus but you already built one. 

• Thanks 1