The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Clear the Bench! Zoukei Moura Bf-109G14 Non-Hartmann Build

Wow, really impressive Gary!  I was thinking "Awesome" actually.  Hmmm.  Hubert has a point, but I'm with Rob as well - I think the subtle work you have done is terrific.  I just spent more than five minutes just looking at your pictures, back and forth.  I think you delivered a master-class in the rivets and HGW needs to feature your work on their website.

Agree with @Peterpools, the rivets really add a lot, subtly.  

You might want to take a look at the very front of the exhausts on the left side of the aircraft and maybe the black wing roots need just a bit of weathering to match the terrific job on the rest of the aircraft?  Perhaps the first stack needs just a little bit of touch-up, which you probably just have not gotten around to yet.  

I never noticed the wing crosses were so far inboard - further than the ones under the wing.  Interesting, and thanks @Martinnfb for the visual images.

You have me wanting to build a 1/32 109 now...

As for the Commanders - they started going downhill before Snyder bought them, and it has just gotten worse since then.  Ugh...

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

I am sorry Gary, I didn't notice that before.

So...   I found these drawings/profiles of the camo schemes as supplied by the various factories.  Of course, I used the cross locations as well.  That isn;t to say that there might have been some issued with the crosses that way...   but there are none in my limited archive.

• Like 2

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your support so far....   time for another update.  All of the work here was done over the last few days in spits and spurts with oils.  I waste a ton of oil paint.  I put it on a cardboard palette and sometimes...  I just fall out of the mood to paint, and they just dry up there.

Here are my two gargoyles.  It appears one has been brawling.

IMG_1555.thumb.JPG.4aff7e5084de0c0cb250b04cdb7cd1f9.JPG

I'm one of those guys whose always guilty of under-weathering the underside of my airplane models.  Not that it's overly critical...   most of that never gets seen anyway except during WIP threads.  Although I have seen some proud guys at model shows who put their planes over mirrored bases.

I haven't attached the lower cooling flaps, tail wheel, Tail wheel fillet, and landing gear wheel well covers.  Mostly on these so far, I have done a pin wash and speckling method.

IMG_1561.thumb.JPG.3c1717f6bd60ffc6eee8a9ee9972d850.JPG

This is all cast off from the wheels...   sorry for the glare. 

IMG_1562.thumb.JPG.602441d68d8cbb68c43d3b1862f69a23.JPG

Heh....   That mask has been stuck to my cutting mat for a while.  I peeled it off before editing these photos.

I also used the speckling method to reflect cast-off from the tail wheel.

IMG_1563.thumb.JPG.fe1998d9dab541ff95df243250f6f578.JPG

I think I made a sequence error by doing the oil streaking before doing the speckling of cast-off dirt and grime.

IMG_1564.thumb.JPG.b3dd6189d76d31c9c7cda798f4d008b5.JPG

IMG_1565.thumb.JPG.e51dbc469025fd4eacae193f52567e00.JPG

Finally the propeller.  In many picture you can see lubrication oil has dripped down the propeller blade and impregnated the paint.  

IMG_1566.JPG

Anyway...   that's the excitement for now.  Now it gets to set for a large part of the week waiting for the oils to dry.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, CANicoll said:

It always amazed me how filthily the underside of the planes were, leading oils and fluids and such.  Amazing all the good work you are putting into this build.

Thank you, Chris!

• Like 2

I really like that speckling effect, Gary. Is it truly speckled or applied with a sponge? How do you perform your speckling. I am always afraid to use the airbrush with a low pressure setup, because I fear some unwanted blobs of color.
It might be correct, but to my eye, the underside of the nose section looks too clean, compared with the rest of the fuselage.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

11 hours ago, GazzaS said:

I think I made a sequence error by doing the oil streaking before doing the speckling of cast-off dirt and grime.

IMG_1564.thumb.JPG.b3dd6189d76d31c9c7cda798f4d008b5.JPG

IMG_1565.thumb.JPG.e51dbc469025fd4eacae193f52567e00.JPG

Well, I'd say you follow a real life logical sequence. Oil streaks can come at any time, whatever the state of the landing field. Plus they are more difficult to clean off than field-induced dirt and grime ...

Good job overall, Gary 👍 !

Hubert

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, DocRob said:

I really like that speckling effect, Gary. Is it truly speckled or applied with a sponge? How do you perform your speckling. I am always afraid to use the airbrush with a low pressure setup, because I fear some unwanted blobs of color.
It might be correct, but to my eye, the underside of the nose section looks too clean, compared with the rest of the fuselage.

Cheers Rob

Thank you, Rob.  Truly speckled with an old brush and a coffee stirrer.  Most of the paint ends up in a paper towel before I bring the tools close to the model.

If I notice conspicuously large blobs I just reabsorb them with the paint brush.

Still, it lacks density for scale.  So, I’ll use some thin, fine mist to make it look convincing.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

Just an idea regarding the propeller weathering. Backside of the blades was well worn ,down at the tip.  

Messerschmitt-Bf-109G14-ANR-2Gr5Sqn-Yellow-16-WNr-464464-Italy-Dec-1944-01.jpeg

Thanks Martin.  Already a standard part of my weathering program.  I've been wondering if the 109 ever used wooden propeller blades.  I know the 190D9 did.  What's in your message bank?

• Like 3

9 hours ago, GazzaS said:

Thanks Martin.  Already a standard part of my weathering program.  I've been wondering if the 109 ever used wooden propeller blades.  I know the 190D9 did.  What's in your message bank?

I am not an 109 guy, but the only wooden props I am aware of were used on early 109 with Jumo engines and few prototypes along with S-199. The rest should be VDM-9ish 3 meter metal props?

Messerschmitt-Bf-109K4-belly-landed-unkn

• Like 2

11 hours ago, CANicoll said:

I am also noticing how clear the markings and warning markings are, over what looks to be faded and weathered paint... Hmmmm

I've heard that the Japanese kept their Hinomarus well painted even if the surrounding finish was flaking off.  Perhaps they weren't the only ones?

10 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

Gaz, just catching up again, wow and wow stunning……..you must enter this in a comp…….

Thank you, Phil.  After my best builds got nothing last year, I'm a bit leery.  Someone said last year that the fix was in for 1/32 enhanced.  It went from OOB to enhanced by the addition of seat belts.

9 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

I am not an 109 guy, but the only wooden props I am aware of were used on early 109 with Jumo engines and few prototypes along with S-199. The rest should be VDM-9ish 3 meter metal props?

Messerschmitt-Bf-109K4-belly-landed-unkn

Martin,

I appreciate your efforts anyway.  Yeah, that's the consensus I got from FB as well.  They use wooden blades on the ones that fly today so that the prop shatters instead of the engine and reduction gear parts getting damaged in the event of a wheels-up landing.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, GazzaS said:

I've heard that the Japanese kept their Hinomarus well painted even if the surrounding finish was flaking off.  Perhaps they weren't the only ones?

Thank you, Phil.  After my best builds got nothing last year, I'm a bit leery.  Someone said last year that the fix was in for 1/32 enhanced.  It went from OOB to enhanced by the addition of seat belts.

Martin,

I appreciate your efforts anyway.  Yeah, that's the consensus I got from FB as well.  They use wooden blades on the ones that fly today so that the prop shatters instead of the engine and reduction gear parts getting damaged in the event of a wheels-up landing.

Gaz

Never knew and it does make sense. 

Many years ago, when I was first learning to fly, some of the J3 Cubs had wooden Sensenich props. I couldn't tell and difference in performance between wood and metal but then again, we're only talking 65HP  🙃

I can see the theory of the wooden prop but on any wheels up landing, with a prop stoppage, it's a required engine teardown but the internal damage should be less.

• Like 1