The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

Clear the Bench! Zoukei Moura Bf-109G14 Non-Hartmann Build

Hello Friends!

First of all...   the title...   Non-Hartmann.  No disrespect to the Ace of Aces...   But everyone (and their brother) will be doing Hartmann's machine.  And I'm a bit of an individualist.   Anyway...   we'll get back to the scheme later.

Some of you requested to see what's in the box....   So, I took some poor quality images.

IMG_1234.thumb.JPG.efa61d601e587d77a8af74103ebb6b7a.JPG

Erich Hartmann comes in a little black box:

IMG_1235.thumb.JPG.980dc61d8946ebcfcd561ae78b498481.JPG

The instruction booklet...  It's something else.

IMG_1236.thumb.JPG.ddb85187d9ec9fc857739dbb5661f070.JPG

IMG_1237.thumb.JPG.dd229c8286219489003a8f7ac01c05e0.JPG

IMG_1238.thumb.JPG.bced9ba82a16f4ef0e843d0461fb4201.JPG

Holy Compass Batmann!!

IMG_1239.thumb.JPG.4516f4da51d0ba147d290ac75a98add8.JPG

IMG_1240.thumb.JPG.a6198d1577637c004025ada3541b9a0f.JPG

IMG_1241.thumb.JPG.a0a3a55c3e3e83a8cfc82461c1734d48.JPG

IMG_1242.thumb.JPG.457f9856d87592b42af595640272a8cf.JPG

IMG_1243.thumb.JPG.a2cc4bb4279b95c45d53636e94e196a1.JPG

IMG_1244.thumb.JPG.255486c426ca1ee5f6802b7a74daf44d.JPG

IMG_1246.thumb.JPG.aa55eb755b684098caf3d6792623953a.JPG

IMG_1247.thumb.JPG.f1ab8414c344f115f53a2941ebdfcf1c.JPG

I'm not the kind to spend time on parts unseen.  And...  I like my machine buttoned up to show of the beautiful lines of the aircraft.  Trust me...   If I could make the model in it's flying state, without some form of base sticking out of it....    or hanging from my ceiling...   I would do it.

This model is a bit intimidating.  There are parts separate from the fuselage and wings, that I have never seen separated before.  And there are a lot of parts, I can't even identify.  But not one single piece of photo-etch.  Very unusual.  I hope I can bring my painting skills in the cockpit area up to another level.

Anyway....   Come along for the ride!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

Secondly...   a possible scheme.

In the closing months of WWII, photos of plane's and their pilots seem to become increasingly rare.  Or...  I'm just not adept at finding them.  When good photos are difficult to find, I turn to skinners.  Here are some examples I'm considering:

AJG5.thumb.jpg.9d91fca20b32af55fa2e23e385d6b1d3.jpg

914797574_BJG11.thumb.jpg.1315dc13b59ec8a6928dee15c5089b8a.jpg

Cjg77.thumb.jpg.b91961131c7c54122cc59eaf2370fad0.jpg

DJG7.thumb.jpg.45b1018ac86e7f49d5cd4b267bffe765.jpg

632255724_EJG4.thumb.jpg.19b0872cc3eb4da3daa82783f423f8d2.jpg

Which one do you like best?

• Like 11

Gaz

Great decision for your latest build 👍. For markings: yellow 10 or 20 would be my choice.

Same here, as soon as Sprue Brothers had the kit for sale, I dove in and bought it - my first 109! I've been planning on building mine as soon as the Whirlwind is across the line, which hopefully will be in a few weeks. I'm out to lunch on how much of the interior details to add and show at this point and will be doing the lead Hartmann scheme as well. I plan on doing mine OOB as ZM kits are more then enough detailed for me and I not expecting any accuracy or build issues (thank goodness)

I'll be following your build ever so closely to see how it's done and your thoughts as well. Please take lots of photographs along the way. 

I'll be front and center for the entire journey, taking notes and enjoying the ride. :popcorn:

• Like 7

Can't wait to see you start on this. 

The kit looks really impressive but not being enough of a 109 fan (heresy I know) I'm still on the fence about getting one. I may break down and do so when my LHS gets them in. Otherwise shipping these days makes international purchases a tough one. 

• Like 4

Nice choice of kit and good to see you jump into the water first. On your pics, all looks like a typical ZM kit, but the manual looks positively unbusied compared to the Kai Phantom.
As for the possible schemes, Eduard has a G-14 and a set called 'Wilde Sau' or Saudämmerung' in their portfolio. The manuals are there in PDF with many paint schemes shown.

Cheers Rob

• Like 6

VERY cool and VERY much interested in watching your build of the ZM kit.  It just looks like an incredible number of parts (reminds me of WNW actually) so can't wait to see what you do with them as I know it will be terrific to follow.

Blue 14 is my first choice or Yellow 20 as second are my votes!

Cheers,

Chris

• Like 5

• Administrators

It’ll be great to see you work your magic again, Gazz.  Having built a couple Hasegawa 109s, I’m amazed at how ZM has managed to put 400 pieces into what must be one of the most basic high performance airplanes ever to fly.  A 109 just ain’t that complicated. 

Pulling up a chair….

• Like 6

Just came back after weekend in the mountains and look at this.  If I may suggest marking , humbly etc.... :), it would be Michel's ticket out of war.

34.jpegbodenplatte-gefr-alfred-michel-16.53.jpegbc6db6fdcaa99daf505a4ffa98a51d1f.jpeg

OK let me put it this way, Gary asked me if I can pass him some pictures of Hartman's G-14, well it has been a while since I was obsessing with 109s and markings of aces (generally speaking) was never in the centre of my interest. Yet I have realized , I don't have clear/conclusive reference picture shoving G-14. So there. I will sit back and see what magic is going to unravel in this topic. 

Cheers

M.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I'll be another that will be watching intently - I just got this kit myself. One thing that I really like about Z-M instructions; each page has the recommended colors listed. No thumbing back and forth to see what colors are required for a particular assembly. I'm surprised other manufacturers don't do this.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Gaz

Great decision for your latest build 👍. For markings: yellow 10 or 20 would be my choice.

Same here, as soon as Sprue Brothers had the kit for sale, I dove in and bought it - my first 109! I've been planning on building mine as soon as the Whirlwind is across the line, which hopefully will be in a few weeks. I'm out to lunch on how much of the interior details to add and show at this point and will be doing the lead Hartmann scheme as well. I plan on doing mine OOB as ZM kits are more then enough detailed for me and I not expecting any accuracy or build issues (thank goodness)

I'll be following your build ever so closely to see how it's done and your thoughts as well. Please take lots of photographs along the way. 

I'll be front and center for the entire journey, taking notes and enjoying the ride. :popcorn:

Thank you for your interest, Peter.  FYI, I haven’t found any seatbelts in the kit.  I decided to cough up the cash for a set from HGW.  

• Like 3

11 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Can't wait to see you start on this. 

The kit looks really impressive but not being enough of a 109 fan (heresy I know) I'm still on the fence about getting one. I may break down and do so when my LHS gets them in. Otherwise shipping these days makes international purchases a tough one. 

They are getting thin on the ground in some places.  And ZM haven’t announced the plain-Jane version yet.  

• Like 4

10 hours ago, DocRob said:

Nice choice of kit and good to see you jump into the water first. On your pics, all looks like a typical ZM kit, but the manual looks positively unbusied compared to the Kai Phantom.
As for the possible schemes, Eduard has a G-14 and a set called 'Wilde Sau' or Saudämmerung' in their portfolio. The manuals are there in PDF with many paint schemes shown.

Cheers Rob

I’ll have to look up the Eduard set.  Funnily, nobody has mentioned the one I’m leaning toward.  To me, the instruction book is massive.  49 busy pages yet only 1 scheme.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, CANicoll said:

VERY cool and VERY much interested in watching your build of the ZM kit.  It just looks like an incredible number of parts (reminds me of WNW actually) so can't wait to see what you do with them as I know it will be terrific to follow.

Blue 14 is my first choice or Yellow 20 as second are my votes!

Cheers,

Chris

Hi Chris,

Most of WNW's parts have actual visual or structural purpose.   This is more like some exercise in pleasing a certain crowd.  And if I was a lot younger, I might be in that crowd.  I mean...   there is cylinder detail for Pete's sake.  And what are the first thing hidden in the directions?   ...  the cylinder detail!

• Haha 6

8 hours ago, Kaireckstadt said:

Great subject Gary and I will follow your build of yellow 10 😉 closely. 

7 hours ago, Artful69 said:

I'm in Gaz ... I won't get a chance to build mine for a while - so I'll be living vicariously!

Rog :)

7 hours ago, KevinM said:

That's me also most colorful you like to do meets draw the eye,;)

2 hours ago, Bill_S said:

I'll be another that will be watching intently - I just got this kit myself. One thing that I really like about Z-M instructions; each page has the recommended colors listed. No thumbing back and forth to see what colors are required for a particular assembly. I'm surprised other manufacturers don't do this.

I'm glad you guys are interested!

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

It’ll be great to see you work your magic again, Gazz.  Having built a couple Hasegawa 109s, I’m amazed at how ZM has managed to put 400 pieces into what must be one of the most basic high performance airplane ever to fly.  A 109 just ain’t that complicated. 

Pulling up a chair….

I think it'll be more about painstaking than magic, Ern.   I feel I need to improve my game with this one.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

Just came back after weekend in the mountains and look at this.  If I may suggest marking , humbly etc.... :), it would be Michel's ticket out of war.

34.jpegbodenplatte-gefr-alfred-michel-16.53.jpegbc6db6fdcaa99daf505a4ffa98a51d1f.jpeg

OK let me put it this way, Gary asked me if I can pass him some pictures of Hartman's G-14, well it has been a while since I was obsessing with 109s and markings of aces (generally speaking) was never in the centre of my interest. Yet I have realized , I don't have clear/conclusive reference picture shoving G-14. So there. I will sit back and see what magic is going to unravel in this topic. 

Cheers

M.

Michel's 109 does have an interesting scheme.  But it's kinda ugly.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3