The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Lancia IZM in Spain - a Relict from the Past - Copper State Models - 1/35 - Almost Finished

DocRob

Three days of continuous heavy rainstorm, without leaving the house lead to some bench time and the Lancia IZM got nearly finished. I nonetheless decided to put it into this category with some detail work and weathering pending, because there are too many pics for the 'What is on your bench' section and the Lancia itself is finished.

When I first saw the paintjob of the Lancia I was immediately persuaded, that I had to build it. I bought the kit and I have to say, it's a gem all around. Fit and layout is excellent and so is the manual, which even shows the wiring of the engine. detail is crisp and the plastic good to work with. This edition of the kit includes rubber tires, where the other version has plastic ones. These are well detailed without nasty seams. 

After this positive evaluation, there is no wonder, there will be more CSM builds done by me. I have their Romfell and Minerva armored cars in stash, as well as the 1/32 Caudron G.III and Nieuport XXIII RFC and a Sopwith Dolphin and a Armstrong-Whitworth F.K.8 in 48 scale.

First I have thought, the Lancia I depicted was used by the Spanish Republicans in 1936, which I had preferred, but read in the very educational manual, that it was used by Italian expeditionary forces, supporting Franco in the Spanish Civil War. It had to be an abandoned vehicle then.

The Lancia IZM itself was a dinosaur by then. It saw first service in the Great War in 1917 and was used well into the 40's in Italy, North Africa, Spain and other countries.

The camouflage was a bit of a challenge and it took two approaches to get it halfway right. For complicated paintjobs, I prefer well designed kits, which don't hinder rigid handling and masking through weak constructions and hard to integrate subassemblies. With CSM's kit, it was made easier in a lot of ways and I enjoyed the built a lot.

IMG_0379.thumb.JPG.8cf3d83b11c3ebb60c4d13643cf7330c.JPG

IMG_0380.thumb.JPG.788dd928d897f3ecbc666f415ba7cb57.JPG

IMG_0381.thumb.JPG.41cc9daacf13bd73127cccf26368b8df.JPG

IMG_0385.thumb.JPG.7788869b0811c13793aad5165bacc839.JPG

IMG_0383.thumb.JPG.9ae47c5dce8509ec2970cf6ad9aabeac.JPG

IMG_0384.thumb.JPG.e7774e1612e7911e1df9c3e193fccac3.JPG

Cheers Rob

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Rob

Awesome progress and your Lancia is looking fantastic. Cammo is the highlight of the show and the method you used with the oil marker was a first for me and note for future needs down the road.

Thank you for adding the build here, as it is much easier to follow.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/27/2022 at 1:07 PM, Peterpools said:

Awesome progress and your Lancia is looking fantastic. Cammo is the highlight of the show and the method you used with the oil marker was a first for me and note for future needs down the road.

Thank you for adding the build here, as it is much easier to follow.

23 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Great looking model Rob. The excellent finish to a challenging paint scheme is the real highlight.

20 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

Truly puzzling finish, ultra clean as always ,  I like it :)

18 hours ago, belugawhaleman said:

Nice work Rob!

Muchas gracias amigos, I'm almost happy with the result, but there is some touch up to be done along with a unifying matte coat. I will decide, If I use a filter, to blend the camo in a bit more and I will apply some weathering later. The cabin door will be opened then, it's only held by adhesive tape. 
I wanted to take some photos of the semi finished Lancia on a cobblestone dio base, but it was hard to see the shape of the car onto it. This camo works :D.

Cheers Rob

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
On 9/27/2022 at 10:43 AM, DocRob said:

Three days of continuous heavy rainstorm, without leaving the house lead to some bench time and the Lancia IZM got nearly finished. I nonetheless decided to put it into this category with some detail work and weathering pending, because there are too many pics for the 'What is on your bench' section and the Lancia itself is finished.

When I first saw the paintjob of the Lancia I was immediately persuaded, that I had to build it. I bought the kit and I have to say, it's a gem all around. Fit and layout is excellent and so is the manual, which even shows the wiring of the engine. detail is crisp and the plastic good to work with. This edition of the kit includes rubber tires, where the other version has plastic ones. These are well detailed without nasty seams. 

After this positive evaluation, there is no wonder, there will be more CSM builds done by me. I have their Romfell and Minerva armored cars in stash, as well as the 1/32 Caudron G.III and Nieuport XXIII RFC and a Sopwith Dolphin and a Armstrong-Whitworth F.K.8 in 48 scale.

First I have thought, the Lancia I depicted was used by the Spanish Republicans in 1936, which I had preferred, but read in the very educational manual, that it was used by Italian expeditionary forces, supporting Franco in the Spanish Civil War. It had to be an abandoned vehicle then.

The Lancia IZM itself was a dinosaur by then. It saw first service in the Great War in 1917 and was used well into the 40's in Italy, North Africa, Spain and other countries.

The camouflage was a bit of a challenge and 

How did I miss this reveal, absolutely stunning Rob. The camo looks amazing, congratulations…

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, JeroenPeters said:

Oh my… what a great paintjob. Superb.

Thanks Jeroen, it's still not finished, but I will post some newer pics, where the applied dust filters the camo a bit. I tried to put the Lancia on a cobblestone base for the pics, but it was nearly invisible then :D.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3