The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

What do you call it when...?

GazzaS

1 hour ago, GazzaS said:

What do you call it when you can hardly make yourself thinking of advancing any of the builds you have started, and only thinking about builds you could start grabbing your attention?

Not sure, but perhaps I'll call it ..........Shirley?.... My brain hurts......Are those my feet?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, belugawhaleman said:

Not sure, but perhaps I'll call it ..........Shirley?.... My brain hurts......Are those my feet?

Dude...   yer killing it lately!  Marley's ghost...   the pain!

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Martinnfb said:

ADD ? :)

Attention Deficit Disorder?  I'm not sure.  I think I got too many things going at once, and then tackled this 109 and the rivets...   lately I've been trying to weather them...  but I feel failure in the offing.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Lack of discipline?  

I’m doing my best to never go down that rabbit hole again.  I focus on the project at hand and keep one SOD project on top of my bench as a reminder I have another kit that needs my attention.  I’ll slowly work on it until it’s done. 
Even when we transitioned into the new home, I knew I didn’t want the trashed workshop I was giving up with 5 and 6 half built kits laying around. 

EDIT: I will add, I try NOT to think about kits in the stash while building the current project.  Once I’m comfortable knowing the last decal or detail will be done within the next 24 hours, I then let my mind wander. 
The “Wet group build” discussion came up right as I was wrapping up the F-16, so I started thinking about it, and even before I started the Viper I knew I wanted to build something out of my syfi stash. It was a no brainer.  Now I’m thinking of how I can take that build to the next level, and it might get expensive.  I’m keeping that secret to myself for now. 

• Like 5

59 minutes ago, ScottsGT said:

Now I’m thinking of how I can take that build to the next level, and it might get expensive.  I’m keeping that secret to myself for now. 

RC sub conversion!!! 

I sae those when I was building my Bronco 1/35 Type XXIII kit. 

Like you said, next level and expensive. :D

• Like 3

10 hours ago, GazzaS said:

What do you call it when you can hardly make yourself thinking of advancing any of the builds you have started, and only thinking about builds you could start grabbing your attention?

That's been one of my biggest struggles with the stash. So easy to grab something new, glue a few bits together and repeat.  I'm getting better about it but still not an easy reflex to fight. 

• Like 3

It's your hobby, do it the way you want to.  I have multiple builds going.  Probably less efficient in some ways in getting models done, but then again, I feel more engaged and energized in the hobby if I work on different things at once.  

Sometimes too I just need a mental break from a particular model, so rather than stop modeling for weeks/months, I'll just pick up another and stay active.  I found that happening a lot with wooden model ship building.  After spending weeks planking the hull, or rigging, I'd just get burned out and step away from the bench for long periods of time.  Having something else to work on keeps me at the bench.

• Like 2

Seriously now, I'm guilty of the same thing, whatever it's called. 

I currently have three builds that I have temporarily "abandoned" simply because

I viewed them as being no longer fun.....they had become more of a chore than

pleasant pastime. I think what you're concerned about is perfectly normal..... 

Whatever you do, it's your choice, enjoy your hobby and don't let it worry you.

I know, I might not be setting the best example,..... I buy a new model every week, but

for me, collecting kits is an enjoyable part of the hobby . I know I'll eventually

build my "abandoned" kits. I don't see this hobby as being restrained by timelines to

follow.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, HubertB said:

I’ve read the way to make the HGW rivets more visible was to scrub the (thin) coat of paint with a scrubbing sponge (the kitchen type)

Hubert

Oh, I have already scrubbed the ones I want seen.  But the issue is the area immediately around the rivet.  Even the most flush rivet causes slight deformation of the surrounding aluminum.  Here, paint is 'deeper' than paint in less stressed areas.  Am I making sense?  So, when the paint is stressed by buffing and polishing, a slight difference can be seen...   lemme illustrate an extreme example:jg1wear.thumb.jpg.cea7cee79e998bb604c597943fd2b938.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

It's your hobby, do it the way you want to.  I have multiple builds going.  Probably less efficient in some ways in getting models done, but then again, I feel more engaged and energized in the hobby if I work on different things at once.  

Sometimes too I just need a mental break from a particular model, so rather than stop modeling for weeks/months, I'll just pick up another and stay active.  I found that happening a lot with wooden model ship building.  After spending weeks planking the hull, or rigging, I'd just get burned out and step away from the bench for long periods of time.  Having something else to work on keeps me at the bench.

Theoretically, that's my plan, too. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, belugawhaleman said:

Seriously now, I'm guilty of the same thing, whatever it's called. 

I currently have three builds that I have temporarily "abandoned" simply because

I viewed them as being no longer fun.....they had become more of a chore than

pleasant pastime. I think what you're concerned about is perfectly normal..... 

Whatever you do, it's your choice, enjoy your hobby and don't let it worry you.

I know, I might not be setting the best example,..... I buy a new model every week, but

for me, collecting kits is an enjoyable part of the hobby . I know I'll eventually

build my "abandoned" kits. I don't see this hobby as being restrained by timelines to

follow.

One of my fears...   is that i won't get them all built before...  you know...   whatever comes when it comes.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, GazzaS said:

One of my fears...   is that i won't get them all built before...  you know...   whatever comes when it comes.

know I'll never be able finish the ones I have...........but certainly, when I die I 

I'm not going to know anyway.....or be in a position to care.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

RC sub conversion!!! 

I sae those when I was building my Bronco 1/35 Type XXIII kit. 

Like you said, next level and expensive. :D

Oh good God, no!  Not that expensive.  I priced out the RC system for the 1/72 Skipjack I have in the stash.  I think it was around $1200 

Let’s just say instead of a sub on a stand, a diorama. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, ScottsGT said:

Oh good God, no!  Not that expensive.  I priced out the RC system for the 1/72 Skipjack I have in the stash.  I think it was around $1200 

Let’s just say instead of a sub on a stand, a diorama. 

Have you ever seen the video of the guy that made a submersible NCC-1701? 

Can't imagine the work that went into that. 

A diorama seems much more reasonable.

Carl

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Have you ever seen the video of the guy that made a submersible NCC-1701? 

Can't imagine the work that went into that. 

A diorama seems much more reasonable.

Carl

That's cool, if a guy decorated the pool with stars, the movie guys could use this as a movie prop and it would look much more realistic than some of that crap CGI stuff..... this is pretty cool...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/11/2022 at 7:20 PM, GazzaS said:

Oh, I have already scrubbed the ones I want seen.  But the issue is the area immediately around the rivet.  Even the most flush rivet causes slight deformation of the surrounding aluminum.  Here, paint is 'deeper' than paint in less stressed areas.  Am I making sense?  So, when the paint is stressed by buffing and polishing, a slight difference can be seen...   lemme illustrate an extreme example:jg1wear.thumb.jpg.cea7cee79e998bb604c597943fd2b938.jpg

I see, yes. But the issue is HGW rivets, even if it’s very small are in relief protruding from the kit’s surface, not recessed as IRL. This said, the area around the HGW rivets will appear darker than the silver-colored rivets … we are talking perceptions here, just like in figure painting… Maybe a darker wash along rivets lines would help creat the effect you are after ?

Hubert

Just now, HubertB said:

Maybe a darker wash along rivets lines would help creat the effect you are after ?

Hubert

I'm actually doing just that.  I haven't taken photos yet because I believe everything will look differently under a matte coat.  But I'm trying to keep it subtle.  Not very easy, and I'm really not sure what it will look like in the end.