The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

This is why I hate tiny models. Or how do I do this?

ScottsGT

1/144 C-17 on the SOD. Putting in some time until the group build starts. 
Easiest way to paint these tiny wheels and tires white/black? 
I have 14 to paint. 🤪

image.jpg

ok, my brain was turned off.   Took me all of 5 seconds after I posted to remember I have a cheap set of hole punches and the wheel on this 1/144 kit is exactly 1/8” in diameter.   Doubled up tape, tapped it with a hammer and peeled off the top “mask”.  When I did it directly on the wood it wouldn’t stick to the plastic.  I guess either the tape picked up wood fibers or the wood stole the sticky.  

1325E8F5-9742-4058-B6EA-485FFF76C5BC.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, biggtim said:

Good lord, why would you torture yourself like this?

Man, I started this kit right when Revell came out with it.  According to the box, that was 2008.  It’s been neglected long enough.  You think the kit is bad enough being this tiny?  You should see my crappy work I did back then that I’m having to fix now. 
But between large scale builds I spend a little time on it.  One day I’ll cross that finish line. 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/30/2022 at 8:50 AM, Martinnfb said:

Easiest way  is to paint the centers white, never mind the overspray. And then with diluted back, using the capillary effect wash the edge of the rim around. Let it dry and finish it off with a few brush strokes. 

Definitely!!  The capillary action is a huge help here.  And for wheels/tires this small, I'd hand paint, leaving the tire on the sprue at one attachment point (what will become the bottom) to make it easier to hold.

• Like 2

On 11/30/2022 at 7:50 AM, Martinnfb said:

Easiest way  is to paint the centers white, never mind the overspray. And then with diluted back, using the capillary effect wash the edge of the rim around. Let it dry and finish it off with a few brush strokes. 

Exactly how I do 48th and 32nd wheels.  :lol:

Jerry

• Like 2

Scott

When I painted the wheels and tires on my 1/144 Embraer 190 for the last GB, I painted them both ways. I just went super slow and there were some capillary runs to clean up but it went pretty well. Of course, I think I only had six sets to do, way less then C17 has.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...