The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

MiG One Shot black Primer.

Clunkmeister

• Administrators

I ran out of black Mr. Surfacer 1500, my regular go-to primer, so I thought I’d try this stuff. 

U N B E L I E V A B L E !    I followed the directions, pulled the air up to 30 psi and shot it straight through my old Paasche VL, and it laid on nice and opaque,…. And took a couple hours or so to dry.  Plus, it leveled itself out and dried rock hard with no adhesion issues.  I was impressed.

Next, I tried it on a Virgin piece of uncleared resin casting block.  The mold release agent had not been cleaned yet. Gave it a shot, and same thing: 2 hours to dry and nothing would pull up with masking tape.

So then, I trued it on my Helldiver’s airframe. There is plastic, resin, and PEll over the place on that model, and it didn’t miss a beat. Even the PE, where regular primer can pool up and bead on metal, this laid down perfectly. After 2 hours, it was super sloth and level.

I’m impressed. I’ve never used this stuff before, but it’s truly amazing. The black flows out perfectly but needs a lot of air pressure. I haven’t tried grey or white yet, but the black is truly fabulous stuff. 
I’ve been hot and cold on both MiG and AK products, some good, some bad. But I LOVE this stuff and will see how the MiG Real Colors spray over top of the MiG One Shot. 

46A97389-4C7E-482B-8533-15DB913E20F7.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

• Administrators

It seems to be water based, Carl. I cleaned up with water, than ran my standard Alclad airbrush cleaner through it afterward. 
I’ve just read a bit on the stuff, and people are saying it’s rebottled Stynylrez.   I’ve never used Stynylrez, but I’ve heard good stuff about it, so maybe I’m on to something. What I really like is how it applies over everything, no matter the makeup of the surface, and dries very slow so it levels out.  No reason to use Mr. Leveling Thinner in this, it already is reduced and retarded perfectly.   It IS pretty thick, so I wouldn’t be running it through a new Iwata or Grex, but my old VL swallowed it whole. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• Administrators

Carl, I’ve never been a fan of water based anything, including people. 🤣
I’ve always preferred solvent based, such as lacquer and enamel, as it seems to bite the surface better, but I’ve always fought primers over PE and resin, but this might change my mind. 

• Like 5

Ernie

I've good things as well and bought a bottle a while back, just hasn't used it yet. From what I've read and heard, it is Stynylrez and shoots great until you are about halfway through the bottle and then it supposedly gets really thick. I pretty much use MRP Lacquer Primers straight from the bottle and the results are always top notch. 

I used to use the older Mig Acrylic Gray and Black Primers which I did like but one I found MRP primers, I never looked back. Completely agree, the solvent based primers and paints seems to bite a lot better.

• Like 4

I've never used the black but the red brown I used as a base for the rusty CHET I did and I'd agree with Ernie that it covers lovely. The lack of odour is another plus point as my wife gets twitchy if I use lacquers. 

• Like 6

• Administrators
5 hours ago, GusMac said:

I've never used the black but the red brown I used as a base for the rusty CHET I did and I'd agree with Ernie that it covers lovely. The lack of odour is another plus point as my wife gets twitchy if I use lacquers. 

My wife’s the same way. The less I pollute the air the happier she is. 

• Like 6

The couple times I tried water based paint, they peeled off in sheets. That includes the primers, even mixing in their binders and what have you. The aggravation wasn't worth worth it. 

The only way they worked was to use a non-water based primer and then they'd be fine. Which kind of defeated the point. 

• Like 5

• Administrators
49 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

The couple times I tried water based paint, they peeled off in sheets. That includes the primers, even mixing in their binders and what have you. The aggravation wasn't worth worth it. 

The only way they worked was to use a non-water based primer and then they'd be fine. Which kind of defeated the point. 

This stuff sticks like glue.  It’s pretty awesome stuff, but I found myself thinning it with a few drops of water

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2