Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

LSM Modelling News 2023 merged Fran and Artful69’s threads

Fran

2 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

Exactly ... couldn't have picked a less exciting subject. 

I developed a new term for this and similar ones - BSG - B= Big or Boring, S=Sales, G= Generator.

Cheers Rob

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, DocRob said:

I developed a new term for this and similar ones - BSG - B= Big or Boring, S=Sales, G= Generator.

Cheers Rob

Rob

Couldn't have said it any better. I have seen on another forum, who spend months and months enjoying a guessing game of what Kotare's next kit would be, the response to the announcement seems to be about the same as ours. Except for the '109' aficionados, just can't see anyone really getting that excited about Kotare's choice; just wonder what they were thinking.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Martinnfb said:

They were thinking MONEY. 

That pretty much sums it up.

Release a kit that they will sell/sell out and then have funds in the bank for the slightly more esoteric/risky project. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Carl

Maybe so but the overall reaction I've seen online is still: another 109 ... oh hum. To me that doesn't translate into overwhelming sales.  Right now, I just can't see it being a runaway best seller as their Spitfire was. 

Yup, I'm surely disappointed. 

• Like 4

Peter, for whatever reason the general modeling populous (which we're a small subset of) loves German aircraft and BF109s and FW190s in particular. As a general rule, both types and all their variants  sell very well for the manufacturers that make them. Unless they're horribly inaccurate or banana shaped. Which means they'll still sell but only so-so.  

Add to that the quality and accuracy reputation that Kotare has managed to build up with their Spitfire and I'm sure there will be buyers. 

Throw in the vast variety of late war camo and marking schemes and it's easier to see some folks buying several. 

Me? I'm not sure yet if I'll get it. If I do, it'll probably more to help them fund their next release which hopefully will be something I do want like a CF-100 Clunk.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Carl

Makes sense but there is a limit as to how many companies manufacturing basically the same aircraft model will sell enough to turn a good profit. Just seems there was a so many modelers waiting to buy Kotare's Spitfire when it was first released and that enthusiasm isn't here for their 109. 

I'm not a 109 guy and I know that's part of the problem for me ... just a big disappointment. I did buy and built the ZM 109 and I have their 190. For me, that's more then enough. 

Of course, I hope they do well and can be more creative in their next release down the road. 

• Like 4

So tell us, Martin : what do you REALLY think about this new Kotare release 😉 ?

Me, I am in the 🥱 group (but then I was also with the Spifire, so my opinion is worth about :2c: )

Hubert

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

I'm with Tim .....MEH ...yet another iteration of a subject for which there already are 121 releases in 1/32 alone . Gotta make them all .

Maybe they could make a 1/35 Tiger Tank next coz that hasn't many interations either 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Sooo, are we doing 109 K group build or what ?  :)

In  other words , when Kotare released their Mk1 I had zero interest. Then Willian coerced me to build one ( thank you) and I was ecstatic , absolutely joyful and pleasant experience. 

• Whatever Kotare will come up with, will be most likely a different level.  Sorry Tamiya
  • even if it was P-51 B/C, Hellcat, Mig-21 or Bristol Bulldog, people would bitch and whine about the injustice of this word anyway, don't be one of them. 
  • Yes Kurfürst choice played my string for a multiple subjective reasons . The argument that 109 was kitted to oblivion and the market is saturated is weak and that will be proven at the end of the year when Kotare starts collecting the sales revenue. 
  • To further elaborate abundance of 109 on the market we have to look deeper and comprehend what is actually available. Year 2024 and we have only 3 noteworthy 1/32nd scale kits .  Naturally ZM kit, that is gorgeous , but presents certain challenges. Dragon's Emil, overall nice and enjoyable kit, and lastly the updated hasegawa F and early G, which is highly buildable, but outdated by nowadays standards. In terms of K-version there is the old Hasegawa, that suffers from a major shape issues and takes some serious work to look like the intricate structure that the real 109K airframe really is.

There you have it, We are lucky to live in times when we have a number of fantastic kits being released on almost monthly bases. All I can say is , Thank you Kotare, Lukagraph, Eduard, ICM and the list goes on.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, PanzerWomble said:

Still meh 🫤 

Me too....MEH!

How about something different for a change ....A brewster Buffalo!!!!

A Lockheed Vega, a Seversky P-35,  or a Boeing P-26. Anything that isn't

A Tiger tank, a Spitfire, or a Mustang! For a change....just saying, my own

very humble opinion.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, belugawhaleman said:

Me too....MEH!

How about something different for a change ....A brewster Buffalo!!!!

A Lockheed Vega, a Seversky P-35,  or a Boeing P-26. Anything that isn't

A Tiger tank, a Spitfire, or a Mustang! For a change....just saying, my own

very humble opinion.

Paul

Right with you. Of course I would be doing cartwheels if someone would do a Vought SB2U Vindicator. Of course I just hope we wouldn't have to wait as long it took Trumpeter to bring out their Devastator.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

Sooo, are we doing 109 K group build or what ?  :)

In  other words , when Kotare released their Mk1 I had zero interest. Then Willian coerced me to build one ( thank you) and I was ecstatic , absolutely joyful and pleasant experience. 

• Whatever Kotare will come up with, will be most likely a different level.  Sorry Tamiya
  • even if it was P-51 B/C, Hellcat, Mig-21 or Bristol Bulldog, people would bitch and whine about the injustice of this word anyway, don't be one of them. 
  • Yes Kurfürst choice played my string for a multiple subjective reasons . The argument that 109 was kitted to oblivion and the market is saturated is weak and that will be proven at the end of the year when Kotare starts collecting the sales revenue. 
  • To further elaborate abundance of 109 on the market we have to look deeper and comprehend what is actually available. Year 2024 and we have only 3 noteworthy 1/32nd scale kits .  Naturally ZM kit, that is gorgeous , but presents certain challenges. Dragon's Emil, overall nice and enjoyable kit, and lastly the updated hasegawa F and early G, which is highly buildable, but outdated by nowadays standards. In terms of K-version there is the old Hasegawa, that suffers from a major shape issues and takes some serious work to look like the intricate structure that the real 109K airframe really is.

There you have it, We are lucky to live in times when we have a number of fantastic kits being released on almost monthly bases. All I can say is , Thank you Kotare, Lukagraph, Eduard, ICM and the list goes on.

To be fair, you've got very valid points here,  Martin (although I suspect you forgot some Trumpeter kits in your list, I wonder why 🤣 ?).

But, to me, the news is still boring and disapointing.

This said, as I undertand the man backing the capital of Kotare is an ex-dentist - I can't remember where I read this -, I suppose he wants a retunr on investment on what is still a passion endeavour. Going the safe way for sales is logical, even if, as a modeller, I would wish a more adventurous choice - but I have never invested as much as he has in a modelling industry project ...

Hubert

• Like 6