The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

A Gutless challenge - Fisher’s mighty F7-U3 M. Populating the front landing gear well …

Hubert

With new technologies being adapted by the AM companies, the incredible quality of the parts just keeps skyrocketing. I'm addicted to Quinta Decal Sets and always look to see if one is available for a new project before I decide whether or not to proceed. I just saw Quinta is releasing a new cockpit set for the Boarder Models Lancaster and it does look brilliant. 

But getting back to the Cutlass, your detail work is first class.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators

I love the Cutlass! Its quite a unique looking airplane! 

Its a shame that the Fisher`s one is the only game in town in 1:32.

On 1/1/2023 at 10:52 PM, Clunkmeister said:

Oh man, HUBERT!  After my own heart you are!  I LOVE this kit!  Back when they were cheap to buy, I bought three and they are sitting patiently in my stash. 
I’ll be following this, closely

Ernie mate, if you ever want to sell one then, just let me know. 

• Like 3

I had no idea this kit even existed but I knew of the aircraft.  The write up and the history is fantastic, thanks Hubert for sharing!  Read every message!

Your 'start' is looking good.  I know of Fisher's kits, but actually have never put my hands on one.  So definitely will be watching this closely!  Good to see you also keep reference materials handy.  I keep a folder of pictures from the internet to use as references for each build, this way I can zoom in when I need to.

Keep going!!

• Like 4

On 1/4/2023 at 4:20 AM, CANicoll said:

BTW, any update on Paul and rebuilding after losing his house and workshop in the fires?  Nothing on his website.  I seem to remember he lost everything - molds and inventory?  Very sad.

Fisher is gone for good. He went trough a very tough period after the Paradise fires, especially as the insurances proved their usual generous and disinterested selves ...

He has come back on-line on LSP just before Christmas, but the molds, and everything else are gone for good. Your only hope of buying a Fisher kit is on the ususal auction sites on the net, assuming someone will not behave like Gollum...

Hubert

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

6 hours ago, CANicoll said:

I had no idea this kit even existed but I knew of the aircraft.  The write up and the history is fantastic, thanks Hubert for sharing!  Read every message!

Your 'start' is looking good.  I know of Fisher's kits, but actually have never put my hands on one.  So definitely will be watching this closely!  Good to see you also keep reference materials handy.  I keep a folder of pictures from the internet to use as references for each build, this way I can zoom in when I need to.

Keep going!!

I cannot build a kit without absorbing all the information I can muster. As for refs, I still like old-fashioned books, although the iPad is also on the bench … when I am not using it to take pics of the said bench 😉. I have four different walkarounds folders opened on the iPad for this build.

Hubert

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Scott 

I never heard before and it would be welcome if possible.

I think it was a guy over on LSP.  
Just checked, it was.  User wrbrdmech/ Shane Pulliam.  I brought the thread back to life and asked if he has any updates.

• Like 3

• Administrators
15 hours ago, ScottsGT said:

I think it was a guy over on LSP.  
Just checked, it was.  User wrbrdmech/ Shane Pulliam.  I brought the thread back to life and asked if he has any updates.

Yes, it’s Shane. He’s a local guy to me, works at Gulfstream.  I met him for lunch a few months ago and he’s keeping me up to date. 
He is doing the RB-51 Red Baron Griffon powered Mustang first.  He has asked me to keep some Fisher kits I started so he can make patterns. 
One of those is my prized Guppy. I’m simply dying to finish it, but he wants to pattern the parts.

He’s doing all this with Paul’s Blessing, and he’s informed me that he won’t be reproducing all the Fisher kits, just the good sellers, so you can probably kiss the Twogar, Cougar, Skyray, and Cutlass goodbye. I expect the same with the Sea Fury, as there are good IM kits in the works.

He told me his next project after the RB-51 will be the conversion parts for the 1/72 Heller Constellation.  Those should be extremely welcome. 
Expect Fat Face Skyraiders and of course the Guppy, as well.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Ernie

Sounds great - hoping the Panther makes the list. I have Paul's Connie set and the Heller and some day will find the courage to dig in and do the build. For me, the real Queen of the Skies has always been the L049 Connie - a pinup girl for sure. 

• Like 3

A small update, still worth a few hours at the bench.

I have been slowly adding more details and more relief to the side consoles. I had a few tries at the missiles selector switches and throttles before I felt I could say « Good Enough for Government Work » …

The oxygen hose is a 0.8 mm lead wire with copper wire coiled around it, and finished with a bit of alu tube.

For the very small round knobs, a piece of hardware I bought a few years back has proved very useful. It’s a micro punch-n-die set, that was developed by a talented Swiss modeller going by the name of « Sweety » on French modelling forums. The set is typical Swiss engineering, i.e. very smart, solid, and precise. It was also, at the time I bought it, very expensive… But it has proved its worth today ;)

That’s all for today …

Hubert

2F2ED8AB-867B-4454-9453-4846349D15A9.jpeg

33A5E9F3-DE84-452B-B7FC-742D0DADC8D7.jpeg

A3ABAF15-EF6A-45E8-83A1-067603C5A0F8.jpeg

34446643-893C-4613-901E-BAF8D68CCEA3.jpeg

53ECDBD3-518F-48C1-8EA9-32F28823A8F6.jpeg

7A9955CD-4B29-4C04-837D-61F727B1E41D.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Nice work on the cockpit Hubert.

The punch set looks impressive too. I've got the Waldron set and have thought of getting the RB Toolz ones.

Carl

All the punch sets don't go lower than 1 mm dia. This one goes from 0.4 to 0.9 mm in 0.1 increments. Using it is easy, but seizing and holding a 0.4 mm knob to glue it in place is another story :). I usually punch 4, to find 3 on the bench, have 2 go ballistic wen trying to seize them, and the last one glued in place, at last (well, when you glue it in the proper palce and angle, that is ) 😂

Hubert

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, HubertB said:

All the punch sets don't go lower than 1 mm dia. This one goes from 0.4 to 0.9 mm in 0.1 increments. Using it is easy, but seizing and holding a 0.4 mm knob to glue it in place is another story :). I usually punch 4, to find 3 on te bench, have 2 go ballistic wen trying to seize them, and the last one glued in place, at last (well, when you glue it in the proper palce and angle, that is ) 😂

Hubert

Is there anyone else out there who manufactures this punch set or similar as those sizes sound ideal……..

• Like 4

Great extra work with the extra detailing of the consoles, Hubert. I skipped purchasing a punch and die set several times, but I'm getting closer, as there were multiple situations, where I could have used such a tool.

6 hours ago, HubertB said:

All the punch sets don't go lower than 1 mm dia. This one goes from 0.4 to 0.9 mm in 0.1 increments.

17 minutes ago, Bomber_County said:

Is there anyone else out there who manufactures this punch set or similar as those sizes sound ideal……..

RP Toolz produces some and AK (I guess) has these rebranded as well. There are two sets, the smaller ranging from 0,5mm-2mm in 0,1mm steps, the larger ranges from 2mm to 4,5mm. 

The construction of yours Hubert, seems to be different though with a guide template to push the rods in the proper angle into the die, which is better, specially with small diameters, but makes the handling a bit more laborious.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, DocRob said:

Great extra work with the extra detailing of the consoles, Hubert. I skipped purchasing a punch and die set several times, but I'm getting closer, as there were multiple situations, where I could have used such a tool.

RP Toolz produces some and AK (I guess) has these rebranded as well. There are two sets, the smaller ranging from 0,5mm-2mm in 0,1mm steps, the larger ranges from 2mm to 4,5mm. 

The construction of yours Hubert, seems to be different though with a guide template to push the rods in the proper angle into the die, which is better, specially with small diameters, but makes the handling a bit more laborious.

Cheers Rob

You can always go roaming on Master194, looking for Sweety. Not been personally on that site for ages, between the ever-present bullies and the chainsaw massacre of the French language and syntax …

Using the tool is easy, as you push down on the spring-mounted punch. So no hammer necessary. Which is good on small dia punches. Plus, as you mention, it is guided in the vertical plane. I can’t remember if I paid the set 129 (most likely) or 169 €.

If RP Toolz have a set, it’s probably good buying one.

Hubert

• Like 5