The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

USS Arizona - 1/350

28 minutes ago, DocRob said:

I wouldn't call her a silk purse, PW. I even think, I went a bit too far weathering wise, the new paintjob for USS Arizona may hadn't thoroughly dried, when she was attacked.
Anyway, I wanted to train 1/350 weathering with a bit of rust and some salt residues.
Who or what is Drachinifel, btw?

Cheers Rob

Never to weathered is my motto ! 
Drach is a popular naval historian who posts a lot on YouTube . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, GazzaS said:

wow, Rob, she's looking awesome!  I'm so far behind in paying attention.  You've really been smashing it out.

53 minutes ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Great work Rob - love the subtle weathering.

Thank you Mike and Gary, In the moment progress is slowly, as I assemble all the remaining on deck applications, like gun shields boat racks, etc. 
I had the strange sensation today, that the self adhesive wooden deck slightly curled and lifts in places, but that's no wonder, I guess with a humidity at 10% at the moment along some un seasonal heat. I never had such dryness before and besides itching eyes and dry skin, the CA takes forever bonding. It will stay like this for some days with the addition of storm from Wednesday on :blink:.

Cheers Rob

• Sad 2

You know that the old trick of blowing on it is actually a good way of accelerating the polymerisation of CA, which takes place thanks to the humidity in the air (and breath is actually high in humidity) ?

Hubert

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HubertB said:

You know that the old trick of blowing on it is actually a good way of accelerating the polymerisation of CA, which takes place thanks to the humidity in the air (and breath is actually high in humidity) ?

I always use this trick, when I hold the CA-ed parts together in strange arrangements with my hands cramping up. I used it mostly for the second planking of my wooden sailing ship build, but it seems, all the humidity is gone with this kind of dryness. 

• Like 2

On 3/28/2023 at 2:49 AM, CANicoll said:

Oh awesome!!  Looking fantastic!  I'm way behind on keeping up, but wow, looks great Rob!

On 3/28/2023 at 1:26 PM, Peterpools said:

Wonderful progress on the Arizona as this stage of weathering added an amazing amount of life and interest to the hull, shafts and the propeller assembly - lightly and delicately done. 

Thank you Peter and Chris, I slowly move on with the on deck applications, producing the delicate PE gun shields for the middle artillery at the moment, as well as hatches, ladders, winches, searchlights, ...
As the humidity dropped to 6%, an all time low, I guess, I have to wait with the continuation of adding these assemblies, because the wooden deck is still curling up and un adhering itself. I have to wait for some more humidity, to evaluate the damage.
The air here is dryer even, than my Martinis are :D.

Cheers Rob

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, HubertB said:

6% humidity on a small island 😖 …. Ouch …

I couldn't believe it myself Hubert, normally we have between 80% and 90%  humidity, when there is no Kalima (Sahara wind). I wouldn't have thought, it can go that low with the surrounding Atlantic Ocean, which evaporates with the strong sunshine. Possibly the evaporation covers the 6% exclusively :D.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

Slowly pacing through the on deck applications. This build is testing my patience a lot and the last nagging bit are the gun shields for the middle artillery. They are made by PE and the enforcing struts, tiny triangles needed to be bent in place. I dreaded this part of the build, because the first shield, I tested, lost a lot of the tiny struts through breaking. The others, I annealed had less broken parts, but still some. Some of the sensible struts were too long and had to be shortened with unshivering hands. Nothing is glued, because the parts will be airbrushed off the deck. You will notice, that I left the cut out deck segments in place, which would have to be removed for the original plastic. Leaving them, will look more convincing, I hope.

P1000379.thumb.JPG.43190f73331cb49c37e30e0b8f1d6d9d.JPG 

Cheers Rob

• Like 8

1 hour ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Amazing work on all that PE. At least most of the pieces on the Vosper are a bit bigger so easier to handle. 

1 hour ago, KevinM said:

It looks you are winning in the long run Rob just a slugfest at this point.:unworthy:

Thank you Carl and Kevin, I generally think, a larger scale is easier to handle and that's why I bought the 1/144 Flower Class Corvette and will add the big Pontos set.
The build is seemingly taking forever, but what's even taking longer, is Eduards substitute pollards to get here. In early February, I contacted them, then storage reshuffle, falsely declared package and therefore returned and now, when I need them, the replacements haven't come in sight. Well they are slower than me, that's a surprise :D.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

Rob,

All of those metal shields look great.  I don't think anyone will notice those missing triangles.  Keep rocking it.

On a side note...   I been watching Ron Calverly (the model ship) and I'm feeling it start to motivate me to get building on my warships that lie in wait. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Rob

Delicate, so very fine work and skills are needed for the never ending but incredible looking PE. The results speak for themselves and are so well worth the effort in time and patience. Awesome work for sure.

I followed Steve's build of the Revell Corvette on his channel: The Model Shed and yes, you are going to love building the kit. Steve always adds the full Pontos set and the transformation is amazing.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, GazzaS said:

All of those metal shields look great.  I don't think anyone will notice those missing triangles.  Keep rocking it.

5 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Delicate, so very fine work and skills are needed for the never ending but incredible looking PE. The results speak for themselves and are so well worth the effort in time and patience. Awesome work for sure.

I followed Steve's build of the Revell Corvette on his channel: The Model Shed and yes, you are going to love building the kit. Steve always adds the full Pontos set and the transformation is amazing.

Muchas gracias amigos, I continued with lots of PE ladders and storage boxes for the decks, while the black CA cured, in which I dipped the undersides of the gun shields. Through capillarity, the tiny triangle struts were fixed in place.

Seems, I have to look into some Youtube channels more frequently, when there are so interesting builds and builders.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

It looks like I've done nothing, but that's not true,  did many little things, indeed very little things.

I folded lots of boxes and hatches from PE along with ladders, which are time consuming, because I bent all the single steps with a sharp blade and a very fine pair of tweezers. There are more boats with racks and a big range of other tiny PE assemblies, some shown here. All these are now painted up and ready to install.

P1000383.thumb.JPG.8f877a4a1c2bfc46af9783e38dcb78e9.JPG

Next were the Kingfishers, which received a two tone camo. The planes were primed light grey and then all undersides where covered with liquid mask, brushed on and then sprayed with the top color mix of light blue grey.
I thought about how to  paint the windows and tried black panel wash and liked it, as it pronounced the framing and dries glossy for contrast. Now they are up for decaling.

P1000387.thumb.JPG.5b9cb5ad50fcf7d77f30d0caf789835a.JPG

P1000392.thumb.JPG.53208beb53f3d877e0d916e825f167f6.JPG

Before I install all the larger subassemblies to the decks, I will apply the figures, which is easier due to better accessibility. These figures from Ion Models are really tiny and it took a while, to cut them off the print sprues. Luckily only one leg was lost, the print material has a bit of flexibility and is not too brittle.
I grouped the 74 sailors onto double sided adhesive tape for painting and prime them white with the airbrush and continue with brush accentuation :icon_eek:.

P1000385.thumb.JPG.b622fcb59d9f834347217bf3dc288e9d.JPG

Cheers Rob

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Rob

The detail prep and work are amazing and after carefully looking and enjoying the photographs, the amount of work you accomplished, is staggering. The Kingfishers look as good as my Monogram build and of course, the USS Arizonia carried two, I only had to do one. Add in 74 figures that had to be painted and that's literally a 'boatload' of incredibly detailed work. 

Looking so good and thank goodness you have both the eye and a very steady hand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Rob, awesome work.  You need to do a master-class for us on working with tiny PE, bending PE, etc.  I see all of that PE and my sphincter tightens.  :blink:

Chris

Holy :censored:, batman!  Those are clothes pins under the two-sided tape! wow...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, CANicoll said:

[•••] I see all of that PE and my sphincter tightens.  :blink:

Chris

Now you know where your recent health problems come from 😅… Did you mention that hazard to the docs 😉 ?

Hubert

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/5/2023 at 12:03 PM, Peterpools said:

The detail prep and work are amazing and after carefully looking and enjoying the photographs, the amount of work you accomplished, is staggering. The Kingfishers look as good as my Monogram build and of course, the USS Arizonia carried two, I only had to do one. Add in 74 figures that had to be painted and that's literally a 'boatload' of incredibly detailed work. 

Looking so good and thank goodness you have both the eye and a very steady hand.

Muchas gracias Peter, the Kingfishers got decaled, but they will receive a matte coat and propellers later, but they went together faster than your one :D.
Lets see about my hand and eyes. I wouldn't like to be the victim of myself, if I were a surgeon.
Figure panting will be kept simple and effective, I hope.

Cheers Rob 

• Like 1