The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

My afternoon project that took me all week

ScottsGT

Was going to post this on “What’s on your bench” since it’s my preverbal “bench” of things to do…But since it’s not modeling related I’m putting it here under general. 
This has been a “quick” project the wife has been wanting since we moved into the house almost 2 years ago.   The kitchen counter behind the sink is/was at a really stupid height. It made no sense unless the builder was 7’ tall.  
Here’s a couple before pics

NgOKYh.jpg

MeNSl7.jpg

After lots of measuring, pre planning and delaying it just because I didn’t want to do it, I sucked it up and last Monday we started by removing all the trim and running a sawzall blade below the granite.  Man, silicone is very hard to saw through.   I’m discovered the electrical outlets were wired illegally due to no GFCI this close to the sink.    I simply flipped them over and installed charge port outlets because you can never have enough charge ports in your house! 
All that’s left is the trim and cutting the old tiles to replace the ones I removed.  Wife is now talking about calling a painter since neither of us is going to attempt painting with a 19’ peak ceiling. So not worried about my Sheetrock repair patch painting. 
sDrapU.jpg

And my happy bride after her countertop is now where she wants it. 
uRPPhO.jpg

Now a little trim work in the morning and I’m back on my Seaview build tomorrow! 

• Like 10

11 minutes ago, KevinM said:

I can see part of the height Scott as a splash guard for the sink but that's why we have towels/wash cloths.The new height really fits mush better what a difference 4.5" makes(looked like 1.5sq.).;)

It’s was actually a 7” drop.  Just measured the tiles I took out.  

Being handy around the home is a double edged sword.  On one hand, I can do stuff and save money. On the other, I get never ending requests.  And as far as my satisfaction and feeling of accomplishment, I’m having to cope with getting older now and projects either taking much longer or having to hire it out.  I don’t mind paying someone to do the work, I’m just anal retentive about how things are done.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, ScottsGT said:

Being handy around the home is a double edged sword.  On one hand, I can do stuff and save money. On the other, I get never ending requests

in the ole days those use to earn me brownie points......sack time .....now I don't care!😂 But the wife still pesters me often.:hsmack:

• Like 2

My problem is generally the reverse. For me, nothing’s worse than having to break your back washing dishes and pans (I am 6’ 3’’). So my criterion is always the height of the bottom of the sink, and I design the counter accordingly. 
Fortunately, I will have a new kitchen installed in the house I am about to buy, so I will have the kitchen the way I want it (and not the way most kitchens are designed, with too low tops - for me and my wife at least - as in the current, rented, house.

Hubert

• Like 3

13 hours ago, ScottsGT said:

Being handy around the home is a double edged sword.  On one hand, I can do stuff and save money. On the other, I get never ending requests.  And as far as my satisfaction and feeling of accomplishment, I’m having to cope with getting older now and projects either taking much longer or having to hire it out.  I don’t mind paying someone to do the work, I’m just anal retentive about how things are done.  

Tell me about it, I (we) renovated a house built circa 1550. Took us 15 years and when we finished it, we sold it immediately. The reason, with ancient houses they need TLC continuously. The stone roof (actual stone tiles) needed maintenance which could have approached 6 figures. This is one reason for the hiatus in modelling……

• Like 2
  • Confused 1