The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

New tool Hurricane from Revell

JohnB

43 minutes ago, Bomber_County said:

There are some reviews and builds on the web thingy, I was watching Nigel’s Modelling Bench briefly last night and he was getting on with one. Can only watch short snippets of this guy……….

Thank you Phil. Any input on the kit at all? :)

• Like 1

• Administrators

John, I have the kit. I had grabbed one from Hannants a while back.  The kit is incredibly detailed, and the majority of the build time will be devoted to the cockpit area.

My first impressions are that the surface detail is amazing, with the fabric surfaces and unique fasteners reproduced magnificently. 
There are pin marks everywhere.  Especially in the cockpit area. The seat is 4 pieces, and both seat side plates have pin marks that’ll stand out like a flashing light.  That’s easily fixable of course, as are the others. 
It IS a Revell kit, so there are molding compromises made in order to maintain a price point: exhaust stacks are two parts for each side, landing gear legs and wheels are multiple parts, etc.

There isn’t a single bit of PE to be seen, anywhere in the kit, and no seatbelts are provided or even molded on the seats. That seems to be getting more commonplace as most builders add their own, anyway.

This is a kit where a Quinta 3D instrument panel, (or similar brand) with really benefit the model. The cockpit is FULL of detail, and it’ll be the finishing touch. As of now, decals are provided for a decently molded panel. 
How much of that will be seen when the fuselage is closed up is a mystery. That cockpit opening is small, and the fuselage is deep.

Two canopies are provided: one open, and one closed. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

4 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

John, I have the kit. I had grabbed one from Hannants a while back.  The kit is incredibly detailed, and the majority of the build time will be devoted to the cockpit area.

My first impressions are that the surface detail is amazing, with the fabric surfaces and unique fasteners reproduced magnificently. 
There are pin marks everywhere.  Especially in the cockpit area. The seat is 4 pieces, and both seat side plates have pin marks that’ll stand out like a flashing light.  That’s easily fixable of course, as are the others. 
It IS a Revell kit, so there are molding compromises made in order to maintain a price point: exhaust stacks are two parts for each side, landing gear legs and wheels are multiple parts, etc.

There isn’t a single bit of PE to be seen, anywhere in the kit, and no seatbelts are provided or even molded on the seats. That seems to be getting more commonplace as most builders add their own, anyway.

This is a kit where a Quinta 3D instrument panel, (or similar brand) with really benefit the model. The cockpit is FULL of detail, and it’ll be the finishing touch. As of now, decals are provided for a decently molded panel. 
How much of that will be seen when the fuselage is closed up is a mystery. That cockpit opening is small, and the fuselage is deep.

Two canopies are provided: one open, and one closed. 

Thanks for the info Ernie. I'm glad to see it'll be a good looking Hurricane model especially with some after market goodies. :)

Later: I'm surprised to find that Quinta doesn't have a 1/32 Hurricane set! No big deal. I'll just use the kit stuff whenever it shows up. I thought King's had them in stock when I ordered but it turns out they don't. They put it in preorder and expect to have it in a week or so. Since I was not aware of that I decided to cancel my order and just wait for SB to get them.  😕

• Like 3

• Administrators

I expect Quinta will have them shortly, as it’s a brand new kit, and there is a war raging over there.

I’d be inclined to spring for some wheels as well, simply because I dislike dealing with seams on wheels. 

• Like 3

Quinta is Russian , given embargoes I doubt they will find it easy to get a new German kit . 

plus they are Russian …so at some stage their exports will dry up unless they wind down their war in Europe . Personally stopped buying anything Russian 

• Like 5

John

I've been following Nigel for years and right from the start of his channel. He did a terrific build on the Hurricane and had nothing but praise for the kit. It surely looks as if Revell has taken another leap forward in quality, design and instructions. Even the decals looked and worked well. I'm on for one as soon as it comes out.

Leaving politics aside, I am a big fan of Quinta Decal sets and from the way they sell out at Sprue Bros for example, they are very popular, as they look great and give you a lot for your money. Availability might become a problem. An example being the sets for both the 1/32 Border and HK Lancaster's are available on their website and haven't become available here in the states, with expected delivery dates keep being pushed back. So I would guess, the future Hurricane set is going to be a while for sure.

I wish Red Fox would do a set for the Border Lanc equal to the Quinta set but I've heard nothing. 

• Like 1

• Administrators
5 hours ago, PanzerWomble said:

Quinta is Russian , given embargoes I doubt they will find it easy to get a new German kit . 

plus they are Russian …so at some stage their exports will dry up unless they wind down their war in Europe . Personally stopped buying anything Russian 

I get it. I do.

But I do hate to punish the little guy.

I’m not sure of any alternatives out there, though.  If so, I’d love to hear about them.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, PanzerWomble said:

I didn't know they were Russian PW. That's good to know these days. 🙄

2 hours ago, Peterpools said:

John

I've been following Nigel for years and right from the start of his channel. He did a terrific build on the Hurricane and had nothing but praise for the kit. It surely looks as if Revell has taken another leap forward in quality, design and instructions. Even the decals looked and worked well. I'm on for one as soon as it comes out.

Leaving politics aside, I am a big fan of Quinta Decal sets and from the way they sell out at Sprue Bros for example, they are very popular, as they look great and give you a lot for your money. Availability might become a problem. An example being the sets for both the 1/32 Border and HK Lancaster's are available on their website and haven't become available here in the states, with expected delivery dates keep being pushed back. So I would guess, the future Hurricane set is going to be a while for sure.

I wish Red Fox would do a set for the Border Lanc equal to the Quinta set but I've heard nothing. 

We'll just have to muddle through like we always have Peter. 🤪

I asked SB about the Hurricane and was told they had no idea as to when it would show up. No matter, I'll be ready for one when that develops. :)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

I get it. I do.

But I do hate to punish the little guy.

I’m not sure of any alternatives out there, though.  If so, I’d love to hear about them.

Agreed Ernie. I hope someone will pick up the slack and start a new line of similar stuff.

• Like 3

• Administrators
19 minutes ago, JohnB said:

We'll just have to muddle through like we always have Peter. 🤪

I asked SB about the Hurricane and was told they had no idea as to when it would show up. No matter, I'll be ready for one when that develops. :)

I do remember the issues everyone here had in getting ahold of the first new Revell P-51D-5 release.  It was unavailable anywhere in the US and had to be gotten from Europe or from Loic. 

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

It's now here in Canada. My LHS has it in. Which means I might be able to get one at Heritagecon next weekend. 

Good luck Carl!!!! One of these days it'll show up here. 🤪

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
22 minutes ago, PanzerWomble said:

FYI  - YAHU - Polish company product as link 

1/32 panels

Thanks!  I shall partake. I love the Yahu panels. They were tough to get through Covid with some peculiarity of Polish Post not shipping to North America, so I got hooked on Quinta, but Poland today is so much faster with the shipping, same as Germany. If I order from Poland or Germany, it’s literally 5 days to my door.  

• Like 6

I've built it and loved every minute of the build (there is a ready for inspection) - went together well perfectly, I plan on building many more but would like different marks. The kit includes unused pieces for a sea hurricane and cannons for later marks so there should be others coming.  Wonderful kit in my opinion as it ticks all of my modelling boxes and is really great value for money.  

Enjoy the build - it's a robust little beast !

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up mine from my local peddler the other day, looks very nice, but typical Revell of Germany.

if you'd like an "out of the box build review" Jen, of Jenesis designs and modelcraft over on the you tuber, she built it out of the box, with no paint, and she shows some minor pitfalls, also the video isn't horribly long.

Cheers!

Harald

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Winnie said:

I picked up mine from my local peddler the other day, looks very nice, but typical Revell of Germany.

if you'd like an "out of the box build review" Jen, of Jenesis designs and modelcraft over on the you tuber, she built it out of the box, with no paint, and she shows some minor pitfalls, also the video isn't horribly long.

Cheers!

Harald

Thanks, I'll take a look.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Bill_S said:

Waiting on this one. Somewhere, I have the old Revell Mk.I with a resin cockpit from MDC.

And waiting and waiting! I too have the old Revell kit that I built years ago. Somewhere around here! 🙄

• Like 1