The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

F-15A Improved Baz 1/32 Tamiya

Hello friends!

I started messing with the big Tamiya Eagle. Thought I’d build it up as an Israeli Improved Baz; which is similar to a MSIP Eagle, with a few twists.

for startsies, the IAF cockpit is black. I started with the Aires tub, and sanded off the side console detail to try out the Quinta or Red Fox cockpit set(s)

92ExaiF.jpg

To get the correct configuration for an IAF Eagle, I had to create a hybrid from both Red Fox and Quinta sets. I used the Red Fox instrument panel; carefully cutting away a few Items that were better represented by Quinta, and married the two. Although the Quinta IP was gorgeous, it is sized to overlay the kit IP..and was too big to fit the Aires blank instrument panel. The Red Fox was a drop in fit with the Aires.

The standard grey background of the instrument panel was carefully painted out with black. Grey areas of the side consoles were also painted out.

oJUcO3A.jpg
ZQep26p.jpg

The aft bay 5 is significantly different on an Israeli Baz; and will need some work 

guKm2qP.jpg

The Aires cockpit fits very well with some careful sanding and much dry fitting. I’ve read that the Aires pit is a little short; but seems ok so far

ptacwRp.jpg

DntEJES.jpg

The HSI and ADI on the Red Fox panel were pretty dopy; so those were replaced with Airscale decals. The side consoles are all from Quinta.

More to follow!

cheers

Pete

• Like 14

Amazing detail, Pete. A question to the expert : would the artificial horizon be « horizontal » on the ground, or can it assume any position when the aircraft is powered off (unless you want to display an aircraft climbing and banking) ?

Hubert

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HubertB said:

Amazing detail, Pete. A question to the expert : would the artificial horizon be « horizontal » on the ground, or can it assume any position when the aircraft is powered off (unless you want to display an aircraft climbing and banking) ?

Hubert

Hi Hubert,

For the Eagle, when powered down the ADI will drift and roll a bit, but will stay mostly level.

cheers

P

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PanzerWomble said:

Is this the one with the shorter nose cone ?

Hmm. Never heard of a shorter nose cone on the F-15.

Fun fact: the entire F-15 is held together by a single Phillips head screw on the tip of the nosecone

JSVy5nN.jpg

B8VwJX3.jpg

If you remove this screw, the ass falls off the jet.

Just kidding.

Pete

• Haha 10

Crazy story Martin- I remember when that jet went down, but never heard the final report. Interesting-

I put an F-16 out of control when I was a young Lt doing much the same during a BFM engagement. Basically I assaulted the pitch rate limiter and roll rate limiter at the same time during an aggressive offensive reposition (which the jet didn’t like) and it departed. Luckily for me I had plenty of altitude to rock it out of the deep stall and recover.

good times.

cheers

Pete

• Like 2
  • Haha 1