The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

1/32 Aichi D3A1 Val is in at Sprue Brothers.

• Administrators

Smitty let me know yesterday that they’re in at SB.  The kit is almost $150.00 😵💫. Plus any accessory goodies you may desire.

So, like a good Serf, I obeyed the siren’s call and ordered it.  Thin borscht and black bread for me for a month, especially after coughing up almost the same again for the accessory packs.

Oh well, I sold a couple Wingnut kits, so easy come, easy go.

First thoughts seem positive so far, and as soon as it arrives I’ll open it up and write a little blurb on it.

Anyone else here planning on building it? I know it’s a tough pill to swallow at that price, but it IS a 1/32 Val, y’all.

As soon as it and the goodies arrive, on the bench it goes.

I’ve heard rumors that the Val may be their last IM kit?  I, for one, truly hope not. The Helldiver did have its issues, but as many have shown, it’s definitely buildable.   Assuming that the Val is basically accurate, it should be a good seller for them. 
They have some great ideas for future kits, and I for one have been an HPH fanboy for years, and Infinity opens up new possibilities for them.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
1 hour ago, biggtim said:

Nope. The price exceeds my level of interest in that plane.

I hope R2D might do some 3D cockpit stuff for it.   It should build up nice. 
but 300 bucks. With extras! 

• Like 1

I'm buying (and building) but just the kit, not the extra's. I might get some AM to pimp up the cockpit once stuff is released but I'm really starting to move away from spending a shed load of money that, for my ability, makes little difference to the end results. And I now make a judgement on how much can be seen in the cockpit before buying anything to pimp that area up. So for the price of the kit with no extra's (£99 in the UK) I'm happy to buy. I want the Kate so I hope they carry on, they will only do that if the current kits are bought. I've got both the vampire and the helldiver (again basic kits no extra's) and I'm happy with them.   

• Like 4

• Administrators

Yes, I understand all the reasons to not buy AM, and yep, most everyone on this site has more than enough ability to perform the same quality of work as most AM will provide. I like the 3D printed machinegun, folded wings, resin exhaust, and the extra PE set.  The external PE, despite my original thoughts, really added to the quality of my Helldiver build. 

I'm really unsure that much at all will be able to be seen of the cockpit once it's all closed up, as those openings look mighty small.  Wheels are hidden behind spats as well, so they aren't needed.   

One thing I've never understood are mask sets for canopies.  Most of the commercial ones don't fit at all, and an hour with Tamiya tape, a bright light, and a sharp knife does the same thing for free.

• Like 5

• Administrators

The two schemes offered in the kit look great in profile. 
I’m really looking forward to giving this kit the treatment. 
If the kit builds well, I can see doing both of these schemes  

E846955C-4180-4695-9BBD-ECBF8E1EF0BF.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
3 hours ago, belugawhaleman said:

Cool model/interesting subject, but way more than I'd care to spend on something that doesn't have a pair of stars on the box....stars in red and blue squares...... But then again.

I’m looking forward to see how it looks OOB. Just the model with no extra goodies. 
When I get mine I’ll tape the airframe together to see how it looks

• Like 6

• Administrators

I see they are planning their next release to be the LET L-13 Blanik.

Anyone even slightly into aviation in this country knows the L-13.  It served in the USAF Academy for decades as THE basic glider trainer. 

07D39362-A1D4-415A-AB1F-3B1916568C95.jpeg

• Like 5

• Administrators

Hey folks, I’ve been doing some looking, and so far the opinions are quite positive.  It looks like a huge leap forward from the Helldiver and even the Vampire.

I lifted these pics from Britmodeler, who had gotten them from HPH, so they show a well detailed cockpit, lots of detail, separate control surfaces and dive brakes.  I have a funny feeling I might have wasted money on AM that might not be needed. Judging by these pics, this is going to be one amazing model.  Looking at that panel, I think Airscale decals will snuggle right in there.  

The stressed skin looks a bit overdone, but it’ll tone right down under primer and paint.  I wish the cowl flaps were provided separate, but I expect the aftermarket might step in there…

If this is as good as it looks here, this may be what Infinity needs to finally hit the numbers:  nice subject, unique, and well detailed.  

I haven’t wanted to build a kit so much since I built my Helldiver  

8021DCF2-28E5-43CB-BD82-050872ECB115.jpeg

3F896F9A-F425-47C5-A862-14734F88EC70.jpeg

E023C5AA-BBED-4630-9D3E-08BEB508B74B.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

• Administrators

A couple noted modelers in Germany have received theirs today.  They both say they are very pleasantly surprised, and that this may be a game changer for Infinity.

If the kit can simply assemble like a typical new Special Hobby kit, with a bit of trimming and sanding as is normal for short run kits, I’ll be thrilled.

I actually really enjoyed the Helldiver. It was a challenge, but in the end, very rewarding.  If I can get similar here, but not have to fight the canopy, I’ll be thrilled. 

• Like 6

So, the kit price is within the realm of a (large) 1/32 single-engined subject.

And the AM may not be needed in the end. Whilst the price + AM looks steep, let’s face it, we can all spend more on AM than on the original kit price. Only this time the manufacturer of the kit is selling the AM, which may create a psychological issue for some …

Ernie, as far as the oil canning is concerned, I need to check if I can find good quality pics of the era. What I know is that the A6M skin thickness increased by 75 % (from 0.2 mm to 0.35 mm) from the -2 to the -5. The Japanese were constructing lightweight in the late 30s / early 40s, although the practice may have been different between Mitsubishi and Aichi.

Hubert

• Like 1

• Administrators

Hubert, that’s very good to know. Plus, this is the -1, a very early war D3A, so yes, they were lightweight. All Japanese aircraft were lightweight. I’d assume that yes, if it’s like Mitsubishi, they were much lighter at the beginning of the war.

And just taking a look at how Japanese aircraft literally moldered away into the earth after the war goes to show you how light they were.  I’d expect some serious oilcanning. Very heavily built German, British, and US aircraft certainly oilcanned. 

• Like 2