The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Air Sea Rescue MH-60T Coast Guard helo

Here’s the figure modified with an inflated LPU. The raft was cut down from a Schnell boot raft and also modified 

tAxpivq.jpg

The master for the water was made with Monster Clay

QONi1dg.jpg

RTV mold of base

S3nZYDL.jpg

clear resin casting 

LDO9nSg.jpg

Finished figure

NBxXrL3.jpg

9RVS8fz.jpg

Raw casting before paint

kJ1ek59.jpg

Sea dye marker

i6aBqfm.jpg

Rotor wash and white caps added

GkAztzw.jpg

should look kinda like this. I’ll have a Coast Guard MH-60T in a hover over the water

dqf6x1Q.jpg

mounting rod for the helo goes here-

QHO9shj.jpg

this will be very similar to my Pavehawk here-

8jPDpdN.jpg

pgdSmgE.jpg

cheers

P

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

• Pete Fleischmann changed the title to Air Sea Rescue MH-60T Coast Guard helo
2 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Pete

Incredible and I'm completely blown away. "Brilliant work" doesn't come close.

« Blown away » looks like a most appropriate description …😉

Hubert

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Thanks all for the kind comments- much appreciated!

Had a few questions about creating the base. I knew that casting the water in clear resin was the money play..so I first had to create a stable master pattern. 
I decided on Monster Clay. It is an easy to form synthetic clay that Hollywood uses to make..well..monster masks. It’s not expensive; and comes in a few different hardnesses- each with their own formabilty.

I started with the same wooden base that I used for my Pavehawk. I built up some temporary plexiglass sides around the wood base. After warming the monster clay in the oven, I poured/spread it into the plexiglass frame on top of the wood base.

CfL0YMf.jpg

I formed the rotor wash waves by hand while the clay was still warm. Super fun! I removed the plexiglass sides when the clay cooled, And I scalped-out a recessed area for the raft to sit in

OTWXolQ.jpg

water texture was tapped onto the surface with the ass end of an adjustable wrench 

FIpa7B2.jpg

I used a heat gun to re-warm the clay and smooth out any rough spots or finger prints. This step really creates that natural organic water feel

8mAkBjK.jpg

STRkQZp.jpg

a two-part RTV mold is pretty simple. Just mix up equal quantities of both parts. I had to build a box around the master to contain the RTV.

The clear resin was tinted with resin tint. The resin mix ratios are critical to get it to set up properly. It took about 24 hours to set up for demold. I used the torch again to destroy bubbles as they surfaced- obviously this is the bottom of the base you are looking at.

CY9B8QI.jpg

The whitecaps were made from Microballoons mixed with white acrylic paint. Lots of airbrush effects, and washes with dilluted clear acrylic paints-

ufcd1YI.jpg

The base is about an inch and a half thick and weighs a ton. I’ll polish the edges and trim it with wood molding about half way up-

mGsTqmg.jpg

cheers

P

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

• 3 weeks later...