The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

D’Oh! What did I do to myself!!??!

ScottsGT

Installed a new Ring doorbell last week.  Wife wanted the app so she can have fun talking to people at the door like I did.  So I downloaded the app on her phone. 
Her: What’s in the box the mailman just put on the porch?

Me: 😳 crap.  I didn’t think this one through.  I just lost my ability to sneak things in.  Gotta come up with a new plan. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 12

1 hour ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Got a side door they drop stuff off instead?

Nope.  No getting past it. Ring looks straight down the driveway.   Gotta get a hookup with a neighbor that can take delivery. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

4 hours ago, GazzaS said:

Oh, for Pete's sake!  Proudly carry your kits past your wife.  Are you men, or mice?

Squeak, squeak…squeak…

In all seriousness, I come from a family of hoarders.  It scares the hell out of my wife thinking she’s going to have to deal with my 300+ kits stash if I kick off first.  And she sees no reason to buy another kit (she doesn’t understand the modelers logical mindset) if I don’t have time to build all of my stash I have now. 

In the past two years I’ve bought over a dozen kits.  I’ve only built 8 and half those were kits I already had before then. 

Edit: I could have $300 of supplies or aftermarket for kits roll up to the door and no words would be said. Just the kits. She did say when I build half the stash I could buy more. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, ScottsGT said:

Squeak, squeak…squeak…

In all seriousness, I come from a family of hoarders.  It scares the hell out of my wife thinking she’s going to have to deal with my 300+ kits stash if I kick off first.  And she sees no reason to buy another kit (she doesn’t understand the modelers logical mindset) if I don’t have time to build all of my stash I have now. 

In the past two years I’ve bought over a dozen kits.  I’ve only built 8 and half those were kits I already had before then. 

Edit: I could have $300 of supplies or aftermarket for kits roll up to the door and no words would be said. Just the kits. She did say when I build half the stash I could buy more. 

My wife is close to the hoarding type.  Whereas the only things I keep are books and models.  Whenever I get a model I tell her:  "I got you a Messerschmitt"  or "I bought you a panzer".  She's not delighted...  but as we both have jobs and we have separate bank accounts and I never tell her how to spend hers, there isn't much either can do.  I can tell you I wasn't pleased three weeks ago when she decided we needed a new set for the dining room.  The other set was fine. 

I may let necessity dictate what I do with my earnings...   but I won't let another person. 

As far as dealing with your stash...  Are you the member of a modelling club?  Recently a widow contacted my club about disposing of her late hubby's built and un-built.  Some were sold within the club, and the rest went into the bin.  You can make some arrangements with other club members...  or maybe get a fridge magnet for skip bin hire.  A 'skip' is a large, open at the top, metal bin that they drop off in your front yard here and collect a few days later.  I don't know what they would call them in the US.  Dumpster is the closest thing I can recollect.

If you can make arrangements, perhaps it will ease her mind.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, GazzaS said:

If you can make arrangements, perhaps it will ease her mind.

I wrote down the numbers for Squadron and Hobby Nut since they’re both the nearest places and it appears as if they resell stashes.  I actually bought some decals from Squadron that were from a stash.  Told her to call them and show up with a U Haul truck so they don’t hit the dumpsters down the road.  Not worried about the value and “return on investment”, just want them resold and not landfill fodder. 
No clubs in my area since I’m practically out in the middle of nowhere. 

But her cousin is in the same boat. Her husband has a stash bigger than mine, but mostly armor.  She’s already said to the dumpster.  Hopefully he’s made arrangements as well.  

• Like 3

Figure out how to get her started at knitting. My wife has just as large of a stash of yarn as I do of kits. And start going to NATS, my wife likes to travel and this year she wants to stop in Waco. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

12 hours ago, denders said:

Figure out how to get her started at knitting. My wife has just as large of a stash of yarn as I do of kits. And start going to NATS, my wife likes to travel and this year she wants to stop in Waco. 🤷‍♂️

Not her personality type. She’s go, go, go, go…..cannot sit still.  She loves going running, vacations (even though our home is like a mini-resort she insist she has to get away from household chores) driving 2 hours up the road to see her 85 yo father, etc.  

Were about to pull the trigger on a $2800 treadmill for her (and she thinks me) since it’s so damned hot and humid in the summer. She use to do the traveling half or full marathon thing a few years back.  Anything within 8-10 hours is a drive. Beyond that she insists on flying.  She wants to do a New England in the fall trip, but she wants to fly up and rent a car.  I told her there is lots of stuff in between we should see as well.  Nope.  That 4 days of traveling. Get there, get it done and get home. 

When we went to Tuscon and Phoenix in March, the drive was long, but we enjoyed watching the terrain and scenery changes and my wife, besides knitting, is sort of a foody, so she found some nice spots for meals too. Local places not the chains, most of the time. I do the driving and she knits, etc.