Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Kitty Hawk 1/35 SH-60B Seahawk

KITTY HAWK SH-60B SEAHAWK

1/35TH SCALE

I’ve boxed up all the current projects, thoroughly cleaned the bench as well and on today, the Seahawk arrived. Purchased on ebay and the most expensive of the SH-60B listed but it was still factory sealed and I made an offer, the price was reduced, and the purchase made. 

My brother and I many decades ago were very heavily involved in IPMS and the competitions for many years before leaving the hobby and pursued other interests. Since being back into modeling for the past 10 plus years, all my work has been displayed on either LSM or LSP and no real interest in competition. 

In March of 2024, the IPMS NE Regional Competition is going to be held here on Long Island and we decided not only to go, but to enter the competition. We needed to put our present builds on hold and devote our energies to completing our two contest models.  

Contests are just another way to share and enjoy the hobby. My brother and I often wondered how we would do at our age in competition, not to mention how vastly the hobby has also changed in the near 40 years since we last competed. Finding an IPMS competition here on the Island was a stroke of pure luck, as neither of us wanted to drive to New Jersey or upstate New York; this was the perfect opportunity. Win, lose or draw, will be a fun day, seeing all the builds up close and personal, hopefully meeting old friends and taking in the venders. 

My first helicopter build and being a contest model, the pressure is on.  My goal is to finish and do the best I can, concentrating on the finish and making the least amount of building mistakes as possible. The Seahawk will be a bit more then an OOB build but there isn’t anything planned beyond that.

I'll be starting over the weekend, and am planning on replicating a Seahawk of HSL-51; The Warloads.

KDXxQy.jpg

WQhDlS.jpg

• Like 11

Keep on rolling with the big heli Peter, a bit of competitiveness isn't the worst to get rid off routine. I really like to see your build develop, not only because of your usual magic, but also, because I can't imagine to do a co-build with somebody else. I may be to dominant with my vision and approach to think, that could work for/with me, but on the other hand, I have no idea, if there is another modeler around in a diameter of 50 miles ;).

Cheers Rob

• Like 2

Oliver

So glad you're on board and will be there keeping me on the straight path. While I've held a commercial pilot's license since 1970, fix wing only, I always had a love of helicopters and over the years only had the opportunity to fly up front maybe three or four times and was amazed. All the flights over the years were in a Bell Je Ranger and of course, only as a passenger. 

• Like 2

Oliver

So glad you're on board and will be there keeping me on the straight path. While I've held a commercial pilot's license since 1970, fix wing only, I always had a love of helicopters and over the years only had the opportunity to fly up front maybe three or four times and was amazed. All the flights over the years were in a Bell Je Ranger and of course, only as a passenger. 

• Like 1

Vandy

Glad you will be on board as it's going to be a delicate OOB and so much to learn. Being a IPMS OOB competition model, the emphasis is of the quality of the build and workmanship and the least amount of building errors. Oh, what fun.

• Like 2

Hi Phil

So glad you're on board for the journey and sorry you had such a bad interaction with IPMS. Since my last time on the contest circuit, everything in the hobby has changed; kits, AM the rules and categories. For my first shot back in, I'm going strictly OOB with the Seahawk and might enter it in either the OOB category or the standard category, depending how she comes out. 

In the past, I competed at all three levels of competition: club, regional and nationals, was a judge at all levels and also contest chairman at all levels. Time and events wore me out over the years and I retired from competition and the hobby as well for many years. Things have greatly changed since those days, but the basic of judging hasn't. The building basics and quality of the build comes first, then it's the detailing and overall build - at least that's how it use to be. I'm entering the Seahawk as an OOB model and it's build strictly what's in the box with the only exception, AM decals are allowed and that's it. 

My brother is a dye in the wool car modeler these days these past years and he is planning on building and entering two cars: 1/12 and 1/24. I'm sorry if I was confusing in that we are not building the kit together just going to the competition together. 

• Like 2

Rob

Eagerly looking forward to the Seahawk build and the Northeastcon, as well as finally building a helicopter.

I'm sorry if I was confusing in that we are not building the kit together just going to the competition together. I should have been a lot clearer as to who is doing what.

• Like 2

Carl

So glad you are along for the journey, as it's going to be both a learning experience and at the same time knowing, you have to do the best you are capable of, as the judges seem to have a knack of zeroing in on the slightest imperfections - nothing like pressure and having your work eyeball to eyeball with the judges, other contestants and everyone looking over all the entries.

• Like 2

Kev

Been slowly starting the build ... just so much going on these past few weeks ... and in a week, my wife has another hospital procedure. Bench time has been at the bottom of the list for a while but that will slowly change. There will be an update next week.

• Like 3