The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

Ideas for a Group Build?

Clunkmeister

• Administrators

Stick them here, y’all.

I was thinking of something along the lines of what Harv likes.   Correct me if I’m wrong, but wasn’t he a big night fighter guy?

He built a P-38 night fighter, and F4U-2, and a stillborn Horton 2 seat conversion. Along with his 1/16 Renault FT.

Night Stalkers might be cool, but just a thought.  I’d love to hear y’all’s.

Phantom Mike, you’ve been casting around, let’s hear it.

Plus, Harv was a very proud US Veteran.

• Like 3

Personally, « Night stalkers » seems a bit restrictive to me. 
The « let’s  get wet » GB was a success because of the wide range of options it opened. 
if it’s to have a tribute to Harv, then « Honoring US vets » is a theme opening a lot of opportunities, including tanks and ships.

I quite like the idea that was discussed  in another thread « powered by a V12 », that could cover a lot of subjects, including tanks and MTBs …

Hubert

• Like 4

• Administrators

That V12 thing is a GREAT idea.   I think that’s one we could so.  Tanks, fast boats, cars, aircraft.  Let’s set a time and start date.

Personally, I’d like to give it a few weeks until the contest season is done, but either or. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

That V12 thing is a GREAT idea.   I think that’s one we could so.  Tanks, fast boats, cars, aircraft.  Let’s set a time and start date.

Personally, I’d like to give it a few weeks until the contest season is done, but either or. 

I agree, Ernie! I have a few Merlin powered things in the stash...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Ernie

Leaning towards the V12 GB theme but one question: does the V12 engine need to be exposed/visible, or would it be any model depicting it's full size brother who was just powered with a V12 but does not need to be shown?

For me, anything that was/is powered by a V-12, even it you do not see the engine. So a curbside 917, yes, but not a GT 40.

Or an all-closed P-51, but not a P-47, a Lancaster, but not a B-24, etc. 

Hubert

PS: I realised I was starting to bend the rule already by mentioning the 917, which, of course, had a flat-12. Unless the rule becomes « powered by one or more 12-cylinders engines»

• Like 3

For me, it’s more about focusing on one important technological aspect, which is the power source used for many decades on land, air and sea, rather than feeling compelled to show it … Besides, it would complicate matters a lot to show the engine on, say, a tank or a Packard-powered boat …

Hubert

• Like 1

Do you have to display the engine? I've got a few.: T34s, SU 100, Stug, panzer III,  in 1/16. ! The Stug and the Panzer III don't come with engines

but the tanks were powered by V12 engines. In 1/35...Comet, T 55, panther,

Jagdtiger, a couple of panzer IVs, Nashorn, Hummel, Also, a P-38, a Mosquito ....lots of possibilities!

• Like 2