The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

AEG G.IV - Creature of the Night - WNW 1/32

21 hours ago, DocRob said:

I continued with the bombs, removing the salt entirely, which left me with this:

P1011056.thumb.JPG.f12f34ef1ce809eeb2cf4d5b0cbc13e7.JPG

Later, I over sprayed everything with translucent layers of RLM 76 and got what I was looking for. Next will be a panel wash and the brass detonator caps.

P1011061.thumb.JPG.a6422d34c2bbc7584dd0812253085c2e.JPG

Cheers Rob

Rob

The bombs paint chipping looks spot on.  Greatly appreciate the mini tutorial.:construction:

• Like 3

21 hours ago, DocRob said:

I also started with the interior painting. As Opposed to other planes of the time, most of the interior was painted and not left in wood. Again, I used the salt technique, which was a bit of a challenge with a humidity around 90%. The salted parts soaked humidity out of the air and stayed very wet. I had to repeat the salting, using less water and let dry for only some minutes and then use the airbrush for further drying, directly before airbrushing. I used Tamiya XF 76 (IJN light grey green).

I sprayed a thin layer over the salt with the interior side parts loosely inserted into the fuselage, to have shadows, where the tubes are. The salt was removed then and again, the XF 76 was misted on in pronouncing patterns, until I was satisfied for now. The effect is a bit hard to capture on photos, but it´s more or less the same rendition and intensity all around.

P1011057.thumb.JPG.b70e8c89076834f7cc0e9865d8395828.JPG

P1011058.thumb.JPG.150ce5c9b47bb72b236f72b895fbb212.JPG

P1011060.thumb.JPG.59dc7ab55c8305177f4c0af2d20e3ad3.JPG

P1011062.thumb.JPG.933068d1b2c9b5ed7cd9497b8f25d249.JPG

Cheers Rob

Rob

Interior salt chipping looks so very well done, without the effect being overdone. Nice work on dealing with the humidity.  :construction:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Rob

Still catching up as I need to remember to check the GB Forum every day. 

Nice start on the cockpit floor and eager to see the final effects. Completely agree that areas that are pretty much hidden from view, brighter colors help the viewer see and appreciate the work. :construction:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Very nice paintwork Rob. I haven't tried the salt method yet but might need to give it a go at some point.

Me neither until now and I can´t really tell why, Carl. Now, after using it the first time, I can see many future cases with that. I really like the effect, it´s like tonal balanced chipping and the random salt patterns let it look natural.

14 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

Always a joy to follow the master Doc.

Mere apprenticeship is more like it Martin, but thanks to you I´m blushing :wub:. I like to learn new techniques with every build, it´s always good to have some arrows in the quiver.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Peterpools said:

Interior salt chipping looks so very well done, without the effect being overdone. Nice work on dealing with the humidity.  

Thank you Peter, the following detail painting will tie everything together, hopefully, but I have an image in my head of what I want to achieve. Humidity is indeed an issue with the salt technique. This winter has one constant on my island, it´s too warm, 20 to 25 degrees Celsius since weeks. This is absolutely not normal and the other constant in this timeframe is the permanent change of humidity, one day 15%, the next 95% and that is no exaggeration.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

Well, I finished the cockpit flooring and start with the detail painting of the cockpit area now. 
The wood finished cockpit floor was covered with two layers of chipping fluid, which I used for the firs time. I cannot see, where it performs better than hairspray, which I used successful multiple times, beside the smell.
After drying, I spray Nato black onto the floor, slightly mottled and as much, that the woodgrain was barely visible.

P1011065.thumb.JPG.b086445829fd7d75855b1527f3319f8d.JPG

Next was the abrasion of Nato black with different tools, a stiff pointed brush, a fiber eraser, a toothpick and tweezers after dampening the area. I emphasized the wear, where boots might have scratched the color off, around the seats and close to the sliding tunnel for the crew.
That is where I am right now, but I guess, the apparently heavy used look will be a bit more restrained through adding lots of painted details and decals and seat belts.

P1011066.thumb.JPG.8d4bfce7b8aaf44f8a7102d58f4d5475.JPG

P1011067.thumb.JPG.4ad4e4802012de05e2cc2398f20d0119.JPG

Cheers Rob

• Like 9

Very nice start. You may want to consider adding some plastic tabs inside the rear fuselage to strengthen the join when you glue the sides together. The plastic is pretty thin and it can be easy to make things worse when cleaning up seams if you’re not careful. Ask me how I know… 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, seiran01 said:

Very nice start. You may want to consider adding some plastic tabs inside the rear fuselage to strengthen the join when you glue the sides together. The plastic is pretty thin and it can be easy to make things worse when cleaning up seams if you’re not careful. Ask me how I know… 

Thank you seiran, the fuselage halves are indeed very thin, and I was careful handling them. Adding some tabs sounds like a good idea, to prevent warpage, due to the many components that go into the fuselage. The good news, on the night bomber AEG, most of the seams are decaled over, but flush fit is a must.

Cheers Rob 

• Like 2

Among many other things, I finished the bombs, using a brown oil color wash and a light grey weathering pencil to highlight the rivets. The fuses were painted with Ak´s true metal wax brass.

P1011069.thumb.JPG.7b5c95d9afe877ab31c7c4a74010538b.JPG

The instrument panel got basically painted and after taking the pictures received a coat of gloss as preparation for decaling. 

P1011071.thumb.JPG.20e688fcb68463adff45d905b810e869.JPG

The backside will be barely visible, so only a crude detail painting was applied.

P1011072.thumb.JPG.386e2d124dbfa260b09353b60a3ca86c.JPG

Cheers Rob

• Like 11

On 2/18/2024 at 6:30 PM, Peterpools said:

Bombs look mighty good the IP, going to be awesome for sure. :construction:

Thank you Peter, detailing these old birds is a pure joy, lots of techniques and effects to lay on. Best mojo starter ever.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

The instrument panel and other decal receiving parts were gloss coated with Tamiya LP clear gloss. The decals went on very good, it´s Cartograph quality, but I found, they needed an unusual long soaking time. I shattered one dial, because I started to apply it too early, but could recover the parts.
The fit and design of the decals is perfect, which can be seen with the switchboard on the IP, which is one decal. It lay down perfectly after some applications of Tamiya decal adhesive softener type and pushing the decals down with a soft brush after heating them with a hairdryer.
I decided against gloss for the bezels, which would be too shiny for my wanted appearance.

P1011073.thumb.JPG.4dd7976c2c67defd18ecd1fa311e0cf6.JPG

P1011074.thumb.JPG.66eaa7b219b57e63e0a879f28a1dc961.JPG

Cheers Rob

• Like 11

18 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Really nice paintwork on the interior Rob. Same goes for the instrument panel. 

16 hours ago, Peterpools said:

B:construction:rilliant work on the IP ... just loving the build.

11 hours ago, Jeff said:

X2

4 hours ago, PanzerWomble said:

Looking really good !!

Muchas gracias amigos, I start to really enjoy this build after a time, where I had to force myself to the bench. WWI planes, not only from WNW does seem to have this effect on me. Should remember this, when in a modeling slump :D.

Cheers Rob

• Like 4