The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Beer nominee 2024

Please share what is your favourite beer. However please note that this is not contest. This is only to share information different beers from different parts of the world.

Rules:

-You can only nominee ONE.

-You can only nominee beer that is produced in that country where you are from.

-Please share following information: beer name, producer, country, beer type, alcohol content, small description

• Like 3

Koff Porter, Sinebrychoff, Finland, stout & porter (imperial porter), 7.2%,

Black, full-bodied, with a rich head, strongly hopped, sweet malt notes, dark chocolate notes, toasted, roasted, spicy, rich, full-bodied, long

1.PNG.a105000e20b0063e4065f139dbcb7e1a.PNG

• Like 4

Sleemons Honey Brown   ...........Honey Brown Lager boasts a rich copper with a creamy, off-white foam, creating a full-bodied lager with a touch of natural honey and a slightly sweet finish. The distinctive clover honey notes in this fine brew accent the aromas of toasted grain and caramel.  5.2 %  Brewed in Ontario, Canada

681403.jpg.thumb.1280.1280.jpg

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Winnie said:

Trans Canada Brewing Blueberry Ale... it's dang good.

I love Sleemans Honey Brown as well, but it gives me a wicked headache!

Amateur ??  🤣 Much more practice seems to be required, we should find a pub somewhere and practice, practice, practice ........... I'm sure we can over come your headaches.... just takes practice :rofl::rofl:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Jeff said:

Sleemons Honey Brown   ...........Honey Brown Lager boasts a rich copper with a creamy, off-white foam, creating a full-bodied lager with a touch of natural honey and a slightly sweet finish. The distinctive clover honey notes in this fine brew accent the aromas of toasted grain and caramel.  5.2 %  Brewed in Ontario, Canada

681403.jpg.thumb.1280.1280.jpg

That's a blast from the past. One of the beers I drank when I started drinking in university. That and Upper Canada Dark Ale 

A radio station here pulled a prank on the owner John Sleeman once on air. They gave him a selection of beers to blind taste test. One of them was from his brewery. He jokingly slagged them all  until they told him one was of the beers was his. He got so pissed he pulled their advertising budget from the station. The DJs had to kiss up big time. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Mill St Barley Wine. Brewed by Mill St Brewery in the Distillery District, Toronto. 11% ABV. On the sweeter side, definitely something to be sipped. Full bodies, a great after dinner drink 

It's usually only available aright before Christmas. This is the one from 2015. It can be cellared so that's what I do. 

PXL_20240317_002248103.thumb.jpg.33005a77dc2f98dfeb74c312fb64d541.jpg

There's been a couple beers that have sadly been one offs and never made as regular items. One was Black Oak Brewery's barrel aged Dark Cherry porter. This was made to celebrate the opening of their Toronto location. I went with some friends and we figured we would get the odd ounce or two sample cups of their beers to try. We were wrong. They were handing out full pints for free. Thankfully none of us drove but the bike ride home was eventful. 

Another one was from our neighbourhood brewpub called Indie Ale House. They made a raspberry cask ale exclusively for someone's wedding called Punch Buggy. They sold the leftovers in the pub after the wedding. It was absolutely awesome but try as I might, I couldn't convince the owner to make it again. It took way too many raspberries to make it. At least I got to have some. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

That's a blast from the past. One of the beers I drank when I started drinking in university. That and Upper Canada Dark Ale 

A radio station here pulled a prank on the owner John Sleeman once on air. They gave him a selection of beers to blind taste test. One of them was from his brewery. He jokingly slagged them all  until they told him one was of the beers was his. He got so pissed he pulled their advertising budget from the station. The DJs had to kiss up big time. 

Thats a great story, but Carl , you have graduated to all those fancy Bourbons and Scotches. Way more up town than beer.🤔

Jeff

• Like 2

The rulz on this thread is only ONE but Alaskan Brewing in Juneau make some awesome beers, their Amber Ale oh man its good, they make a winter ale with spruce tips harvested from Gusdavis and a smoked Porter is too drawer. But in light of the thread rulz I will stick to the Sleemons.  For the record , I would love to try them all. How much fun would that be?

Jeff

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jeff said:

Thats a great story, but Carl , you have graduated to all those fancy Bourbons and Scotches. Way more up town than beer.🤔

Jeff

Jeff, I definitely drink more beer than Scotch or Bourbon. Much more approachable and there's so much good beer out there these days. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Jeff, I definitely drink more beer than Scotch or Bourbon. Much more approachable and there's so much good beer out there these days. 

No question there, sounds like we should get out there and try a few dozen…😇

• Like 1

I like light beers.  Since the Bud Light debacle, I discovered Yuengling Light and Flight. It’s all I buy now. 
use to love a stout beer in my younger days, I guess old age does funny things.  

• Like 3

20211203_192334_550x825.webp.67e16f8b3d5ada30c04c46769bc959f7.webp

Steep Grade from Burnside Brewery here in my own village. It's a barrel aged Belgian Quad at 14% - it's a 750ml bottle, so equivalent to bottle of red wine! Very drinkable which dangerous at that strength.

Aged in casks from the Fettercairn distillery just up the road. The photo is taken at the top of the Cairn'o'Mount which is the local high pass over the hills into Royal Deeside after which the beer is named. It's a route I cycle occasionally as the 'steep' but of the name is well earned.

The brewery owners are friends of mine, so got to give them a plug!

• Like 5

On 3/18/2024 at 12:05 AM, GusMac said:

20211203_192334_550x825.webp.67e16f8b3d5ada30c04c46769bc959f7.webp

Steep Grade from Burnside Brewery here in my own village. It's a barrel aged Belgian Quad at 14% - it's a 750ml bottle, so equivalent to bottle of red wine! Very drinkable which dangerous at that strength.

Aged in casks from the Fettercairn distillery just up the road. The photo is taken at the top of the Cairn'o'Mount which is the local high pass over the hills into Royal Deeside after which the beer is named. It's a route I cycle occasionally as the 'steep' but of the name is well earned.

The brewery owners are friends of mine, so got to give them a plug!

Serious next level beer😮. Thank you for sharing this👍

• Like 4

On 3/16/2024 at 6:00 PM, Jeff said:

Amateur ??  🤣 Much more practice seems to be required, we should find a pub somewhere and practice, practice, practice ........... I'm sure we can over come your headaches.... just takes practice :rofl::rofl:

NAh I was a sailor in the Navy, I have practiced! It seems Wine (all of them) give me bad headaches, some beers, but not all. I CAN drink Cognac without the headache, but these days I prefer light beers and scotch...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Winnie said:

NAh I was a sailor in the Navy, I have practiced! It seems Wine (all of them) give me bad headaches, some beers, but not all. I CAN drink Cognac without the headache, but these days I prefer light beers and scotch...

Father in law was 25 years Navy , so I can say that you are now considered a professional. 🤭😆😆😆😆 I used to find Labatts Blue used to give me a screamer so that was not pleasant. I’m still ok with wine and a little JD but mass produced beer is no longer on my menu. Craft beers these days. We cud still practise if you ever want to hook up and give it a go….🤔😆😆

• Like 3

Ah, beer. After forty years of working on and with Military Aircraft, I wanted a change of direction.

So for eight years I worked as a Drayman for a Drinks wholesaler based in Lincoln. I retired last September.

What's odd about that? Well for the last twenty of those forty years, I worked in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. So kind of got out of the drinking habit.

However, I do have the odd one, I like sharps Doombar. Brewed on the North Cornish coast.

• Like 5

Before I went back to the architecture field, I worked for 6 years in the hop industry, making ingredients for almost every beer on earth. The irony of having such a job is that I HATE beer, all beer. I drink bourbon, so it's probably a good thing I didn't work at a distillery, or I'd probably still be there. And an alcoholic. 😁

Tim

PS - Oh yeah, I hate all wine, too. And I live in central Washington state, the largest hop growing region in the US, and a HUGE wine producing area, too. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, PeteinLincs said:

Ah, beer. After forty years of working on and with Military Aircraft, I wanted a change of direction.

So for eight years I worked as a Drayman for a Drinks wholesaler based in Lincoln. I retired last September.

What's odd about that? Well for the last twenty of those forty years, I worked in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. So kind of got out of the drinking habit.

However, I do have the odd one, I like sharps Doombar. Brewed on the North Cornish coast.

I'll join you in a vote for Doombar, it's a nice drinkable pint.

• Like 4

On 3/21/2024 at 10:36 AM, FullArmor said:

Serious next level beer😮. Thank you for sharing this👍

They've done a couple of other barrel aged beers as well. One was a stout at 12% and the other was a Scottish Heavy at 9.6%, so they're not for the faint of heart.

They do a really nice session Pale Ale at 3.8% as well as lots of other nice sensible beers, so it's not all insanely strong.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, PeteinLincs said:

Amber Ale? Interesting🧐

• Like 3