Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Cobra Coupe - Le Mans - Model Factory Hiro 1/12

Just a tiny update, while I prepare the cooler parts and some internal framework. If you wonder, why MFH kits are special, then look for this magnificently casted white metal part. genius and madness are sometime close, as you have to replicate four hose clamps from steel PE strips with the screw parts being tinies casted parts :icon_eek:.

P1011785.thumb.JPG.4663fd2ffe31610d4dcf7504f1f3cd52.JPG

Cheers Rob

• Like 10
  • Confused 1

30 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

Incredible - MFH and museum quality - what more could you ask for! 🏆 

Thank you Peter, the grade of detail is indeed amazing. I feared the hose clamps a bit, specially with that springy stainless steel PE strips, which were a tad to long also, but somehow, I managed.
On YouTube, there is a thorough build video made by Pooh, which helps a lot. He substituted the PE by chrome foil. In case of failure, I would have followed his idea.

Cheers Rob

• Like 4

Rob

Just glad all went so well. From first hand experience, there is always a need for scale model s/s clamps. Any chance you could post the link to the video, as I looked but couldn't find it?

Much appreciated

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/8/2024 at 1:36 PM, Bomber_County said:

It’s larger than I expected, the human hand does give a reference, very nice Rob very envious….

The sheer size of 1/12 car models astonishes me as well, when inspecting a new kit. So much bigger than 1/24 or 1/20 cars and this one is heavy. I will add the spacers under the chassis, to prevent the cast metal suspension from bending.

Cheers Rob

• Like 1

Due to illness and passing of my beloved dog, I haven´t been attending here lately. I have to get back to normal somehow and continued a bit with the Cobra, when time and mood allowed.

I added the front cooling section, a fairly large and detailed affair. After that, it was time to mount the missing parts of the front suspension and braking system.
The large venting tubes were sprayed with Tamiya LP brown metallic and then sanded over the risen parts for effect. Fit was very good again, but I had to re-drill tiny PE parts again, as either the bolts (part 308) are too wide or the holes to small, annoying. Another disturbing issue is, there are wires or tubes, where there is no mention, where they lead to. You have to search the hole manual for a fit, but some are not shown. The manual of the Crocker motorcycle always stated the section of the manual, where you could see the other connecting side, but that´s not the case here.

P1011788.thumb.JPG.06d2065b945e0e265a38e4c267e08248.JPG

P1011790.thumb.JPG.68ef909f361522378aad666c695929a5.JPG

P1011787.thumb.JPG.ff35c11ac34b851a115de35e8ee53e32.JPG

I think long and thorough, before altering the building sequence from the manual, but decided to add the tube framing before the cooler section, to have mor wiggle room. The part around the engine proved to be a bit delicate, the more complex rear part was easy in comparison. The engine and drive shaft is now permanently built in and I´m ready for the rear suspension now. The chassis is quite heavy now and I will add spacers to relieve the suspension.

P1011791.thumb.JPG.f62dc80b420393369ad9f2e519abbd9f.JPG

P1011793.thumb.JPG.fb25ab37f88a30a04c5c6f549de388c5.JPG

Cheers Rob

• Like 5

Rob, so sorry to hear about your dog.  It’s always hard to say good by to a friend and family member like that.  It took us 3 years to finally bring another back into our home.  

Your build is amazing.  I swear you could PS the image into a garage setting and it would look like you’re building the real thing.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Glad the build is taking your mind off your sad loss. We lost one of ours on Armistice Day last November and I still miss him like hell. They just get under your skin so much.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Build is looking good Rob and sorry about the dog.I lost in 4 months FILaw,Brother,Son(service) and my dog of 18 1/2 years a Lab the house was so quiet I had to get another after 3 months.Hannah is a good dog loves people but protective best thing I did at the time.I cried more loosing my dog than I did for for the family weird but it was.:hsmack:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, ScottsGT said:

Rob, so sorry to hear about your dog.  It’s always hard to say good by to a friend and family member like that.  It took us 3 years to finally bring another back into our home.  

Your build is amazing.  I swear you could PS the image into a garage setting and it would look like you’re building the real thing.

14 hours ago, GusMac said:

Glad the build is taking your mind off your sad loss. We lost one of ours on Armistice Day last November and I still miss him like hell. They just get under your skin so much.

13 hours ago, KevinM said:

Build is looking good Rob and sorry about the dog.I lost in 4 months FILaw,Brother,Son(service) and my dog of 18 1/2 years a Lab the house was so quiet I had to get another after 3 months.Hannah is a good dog loves people but protective best thing I did at the time.I cried more loosing my dog than I did for for the family weird but it was.:hsmack:

Thank you for your heartful words, amigos. I can feel that you´ve been where I am now. The only good thing, I keep saying to myself is, my dog had very good eight years of life and he died with dignity and didn´t suffer much. Can´t say the same for me, as he was my steady companion and friend through the last years, so close, only rivaled by my wife.
Some hours in the cave help at least a little, to free my mind.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

Rob, so sorry to hear about your furry friend. We have now vowed that after three adorable cats, never again. The aftermath of their passing is to great. Hope you are also over your illness and will soon be entrenched back at the bench. Apparently the weather isn’t to good in your neck of the woods?……

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Bomber_County said:

Rob, so sorry to hear about your furry friend. We have now vowed that after three adorable cats, never again. The aftermath of their passing is to great. Hope you are also over your illness and will soon be entrenched back at the bench. Apparently the weather isn’t to good in your neck of the woods?……

Thank you Phil, but I meant the illness of my dog, before he passed, not mine. I´m healthy, but the soul isn´t. Actually, we don´t plan to get another dog soon, but lets see.
Weather, well, it´s been crazy lately. We have a heat wave, but not where I live. It´s humid and around 20 degrees Celsius. only a kilometer away and less then 100m of altitude up, it was 32 degrees Celsius at eight in the morning. We have some strangely layered weather as of lately :D. Ah forgot to mention, down by the sea, there is a heavy blow going since weeks, up in my house, nearly nothing.

Cheers Rob 

• Like 4

Rob

So very sorry to hear of your loss. I've also been there more then a few times and it is heart breaking and leaves a wound in our hearts, which will heal over time. Thoughts and memories will always bring a smile of the wonderful times you shared. 

Glad to see the Cobra build continues and is helping you deal with your loss. No matter how well a kit is engineered, there always seems to be challenges that need to be overcome and the results speak so well for themselves. Looking mighty good.

:construction: 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

So very sorry to hear of your loss. I've also been there more then a few times and it is heart breaking and leaves a wound in our hearts, which will heal over time. Thoughts and memories will always bring a smile of the wonderful times you shared. 

Glad to see the Cobra build continues and is helping you deal with your loss. No matter how well a kit is engineered, there always seems to be challenges that need to be overcome and the results speak so well for themselves. Looking mighty good.

Thank you Peter, I hope time will heal some of the wounds and indeed I smile often over memories I have about times with my dog, despite the loss.

The Cobra is a great subject to focus onto and yes, when there ever is the perfect kit, we will add some not so perfect aftermarket item, if only for the rant :D.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

Progress is slowly due to off bench issues and a healthy dose of sports every day, trailrunning, surfing or swimming and mountainbiking, to get the head free.
Nonetheless, I finished the rear suspension, brakes and drive shafts. 
My normal process with MFH kits is, select parts for the next step, cleanup and drill parts, priming and finally airbrushing, before the real fun begins, assembly.
This time, it was not so much fun, unfortunately. All parts mount to the outer suspension part, which later accepts the wheel. Somehow this was impossible and I identified the drive shafts as too long. I have no idea, if this was my fault, but the main shaft leading to the differential was also to long. It needed a bit of metal surgery to get everything to fit and there are some touchups to be made.

P1011794.thumb.JPG.2c41b42abbd90e2255a141dc654f6a47.JPG

P1011795.thumb.JPG.0e8896668fd32ce68a08c669f065b343.JPG

P1011799.thumb.JPG.717a4f2132aba99c914cdb808c6616b8.JPG

I also started with the pedals, which means, interior is next. Of course, there will be hydraulic lines later from the pedals cylinders.

P1011797.thumb.JPG.09fca12349b48959f652e08de9d78ea9.JPG

P1011800.thumb.JPG.5ae18421ca1257822e279b477fca89b8.JPG

Cheers Rob

• Like 10

39 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Rob, this looks like a restoration of a real Cobra. The quality of your work just makes everything seem so real. 

Rob,

+1  ABSOLUTELY.  I grew up working with my dad at his service stations (petrol stations) and garage back in the 70's.  Following along and seeing your work brings back amazing memories.  Your work is top-notch and a joy to follow.  Thanks for sharing!!  Plus, I love the Cobra!

It might be too late, but might I suggest polishing the rotor faces on the disk brakes?  Rotors do oxidize quickly (and rust when they sit for a while) but in use are usually very shiny.  Not a criticism by any means.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Rob, this looks like a restoration of a real Cobra. The quality of your work just makes everything seem so real.

43 minutes ago, CANicoll said:

+1  ABSOLUTELY.  I grew up working with my dad at his service stations (petrol stations) and garage back in the 70's.  Following along and seeing your work brings back amazing memories.  Your work is top-notch and a joy to follow.  Thanks for sharing!!  Plus, I love the Cobra!

It might be too late, but might I suggest polishing the rotor faces on the disk brakes?  Rotors do oxidize quickly (and rust when they sit for a while) but in use are usually very shiny.  Not a criticism by any means.

Thank you Chris and Carl, the kit is indeed a gem detail wise, but sometimes getting everything together proves difficult.

@CANicoll: I have to admit, I haven´t thought about the braking disks. Maybe they look like this, after a race. Usually, there are PE parts for the shiny surface, but here it´s pure cast white metal and I can´t do anything about it.

Cheers Rob

• Like 2

Rob,  you know, once the wheels are on you won't hardly see any of the discs so it is not an issue.  I should have thought about that before commenting.  Your close-up photos are fantastic.  You need to submit those for an e-book on building this kit.

• Like 2

Hi Rob, I've been out of town for half this month but finally getting around to catching up on my favorite build logs.  Your Cobra is looking fantastic!  The kit looks absolutely amazing.  I also learned about Tamiya LP paints - good to know about them.

Belated condolences for your dog.  I'm always devastated when a pet passes.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1