The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Soo.... What did you just get???

Dave J

Some excellent arrivals yesterday. First up...Able Dog! I've been dancing around getting a Skyraider ever since the Z-M kit came out...and the Trumpy is a far more acceptable price. That and for some reason I dig the Korean-era blue on the big, ungainly brute. 

Also got a few goodies. Vallejo Still Water, which I've heard is the bee's knees for IP gauges. Some Gunze SM01 Super-Fine Silver. Barracuda wheels and a BIG ED set for the Me 262A-2a. Eduard mask and a set of Zoukei-Mura decals for the AD-4. The decals are actually for an AD-6, BUT the Trumpeter sheet kinda sucks, and this one has the full insignia and stencil package.

I bought Zoukei-Mura's propeller sprue for this kit as the blades of the Trumpeter prop seem somewhat emaciated...

Honestly, it's big, but it's nowhere near the monster I'd been expecting. The fuselage is beefy, but it terms of length it looks broadly similar to the P-47.

And of course it's giving me dreams of a "what if" P-47 packing an R-3350 up front...

Alpha Dog late1945 ETO,  56th FG (61st or 63rd FS) with about 80 sortie marks on fuselage...I Double Dog Dare you!  62nd FS would look pretty cool as well.

Wow Matt! As the Dutch say in a case like this: "You're a bacon-buyer!" (spekkoper). That is almost for free!

As for Z-M; yes, you can order loose sprues. Since I live in Europe I had to do it through the Japanese site; but I reckon it's possible through the US site too. The prop looks a LOT better!

Great Scheme Erik.  

PS: Could you tell me how you got on with those replacement seats, please?  I always like to know whether some of the accessories are worth stocking (yeah I know they're Brassin seats but anyway).

Great Scheme Erik.  

PS: Could you tell me how you got on with those replacement seats, please?  I always like to know whether some of the accessories are worth stocking (yeah I know they're Brassin seats but anyway).

Will do, Grant! Basically, I find that Brassin is a no-brainer; great value for money, but I will give you specific feedback on this set!

After taking a look at the FB-page I saw that Luuk Boerman of Dutch Decal had uploaded a photo of a pallet of Italeri boxes at the doorstep of the Aviation Megastore, so I scrambled into my Citroën C1 to get my grubby paws on one!

DSC_1110a.jpg

Keep the site in view for the review! I hope to be able to bring that one on Monday... Of course everything on the bench has to make room for this one...

Happy feelings soar, when working on a One-Oh-Four!!!

Nice stuff Matt.

I love how you photograph your acquisitions in the car.  Did you leave the Post Office parking lot before you took the pics.  :)

Yes, I am twitching for the WNW DH.9 for the Greek scheme.  Have had the WNW DH.9 earmarked in my Greek Air folder along with Greek Spits Mk.V, IX, XVI as well as a SB2C. God knows when I will start on them.

On the same theme as Doogs, My boss at Arrow Wolf kindly bought me this:

ds3200_nikon_zps5eba2897.png

I was dithering between this and the Canon EOS1100 but opted for this based on many, many, many reviews I'd read PLUS the price .. At £329 it was good value and there's a £30 cash back offer from Nikon.   I also like the on-board tutorial aspect so, all in all, I'm a happy boy.

Oh, and I also added a 32Gb, class 10 SD Card and a shutter remote.

Hopefully, my review photos will be a LOT better from now on. 

• Like 1

As a comparative newbie here, I'm just getting used to the site when I saw this thread. Sad as it seems, this is the last new big kit I received; sad because that was about eight months ago. I do however have something spiffy coming from New Zealand in January; more on that later.

121312.jpg

• Like 3

On the same theme as Doogs, My boss at Arrow Wolf kindly bought me this:

ds3200_nikon_zps5eba2897.png

I was dithering between this and the Canon EOS1100 but opted for this based on many, many, many reviews I'd read PLUS the price .. At £329 it was good value and there's a £30 cash back offer from Nikon.   I also like the on-board tutorial aspect so, all in all, I'm a happy boy.

Oh, and I also added a 32Gb, class 10 SD Card and a shutter remote.

Hopefully, my review photos will be a LOT better from now on. 

You're going to be VERY happy with that D3200, Grant! Give your boss a very big kiss for that!

Check this out: http://kenrockwell.com/nikon/d3200/users-guide/index.htm

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meanwhile I've bought some kind of large scale model too. The right one...... And it's big scale because of:

-The big price (ouch!)

-It being physically larger than the D7000 I already had

-It having a full-frame (FX 24 X 35,9mm, equal to the old 35mm film size) sensor instead of APS-C (DX,23,2 X 15,4mm)

-The sensor having 36Mp as opposed to the 16Mp of the D7000

D7000_D800 (1 van 1).jpg

BTW; a DX-camera is better for taking photos of scale models because the smaller sensor size makes for better depth-of-field. That's why you always see people take photos on modelling shows with compacts - often with flash and one-handed! Those pics are sharp but horribly lighted! I intend to use my D7000 primarily for shooting my models in the "studio". The D800 has better weather sealing so I'll take that one outdoors!

BTW2; more Mp isn't always a blessing. The larger resolution shows the flaws in lenses better and is ruthless in showing flaws in the technique of the photographer! Uh-oh!

• Like 1