The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

Helo Everybody,

I've been a lurker on this site for quite some time, admiring all of the excellent work done by everybody here, I've never posted a build before. So, this is my first build post on this site.

This B-17 is the 4th aircraft I've built since getting back in the hobby after a 35 year hiatus. I have well over 400 hours over a 14 month period building this beast. IMO, it is an excellent kit. The detail is amazing and most of the kit engineering was amazing as well. 

I've used just about every Eduard PE set available except the flaps, maybe on the next one....

I used the Profimodeller Landing Gear set and the Eduard Brassin wheels and 50 cal machine guns. It took 9 bottles of various shades of Alclad to paint her. I think the Alclad came out amazing and to me, it looks like a metal aircraft.

Anyway, I hope you all enjoy looking at my finished results:

16361528024_94e109298f_c.jpg

16982485981_4cf998155c_c.jpg

16982050562_a1c8dd6d74_c.jpg

16982048842_a585530f59_c.jpg

16982490661_b2b9ab33ab_c.jpg

16795678088_4bf91e03a5_c.jpg

That is seriously impressive!!  :respect:

Do you have any more construction photos?

What silver paint did you use?

Thanks for the compliment James. I have a TON of pics of the various sub-assemblies as I built them. Try here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127125333@N05/page1/

I can post more here if people want.

I used a total of about 9-10 bottles of Alclad 2 in various shades of aluminum with Airframe Aluminum being the main one. I actually had to dull down the wings because they looked chrome plated.

A great looking model enhanced by some really good photography....well done indeed.

Max

wow!

:unworthy:

Ehh.... WOW!

What aftermarket did you use? Eduard?

Yes Jeroen, I used a lot of Eduard, everything they make but the Flaps

That looks fantastic!

That is fantastic. Lighting up the interior is a way cool idea...........sharp!

Cheers Bevan

Thanks everybody for the compliments.

hugely impressive overall effect, and amazing detail

given the model is 99.99% perfect, could I comment on just two things?

1. in that first pic the only giveaway is the tyre which doesn't look to be sitting quite right - not 'heavy' enough

2. the brassin barrels look good from head on where you can see the hollow muzzle, but the lack of real holes in the cooling jackets is noticeable in one close up (people may know I am not a fan of these)

if i ever build a B-17 i hope it is half as good as this - if it is I will be very chuffed indeed!

thanks for sharing

Nicholas

• Like 1

@ Moldmkr...

I have a question on this - as I'm preparing to do my own build of this kit, I'm going back and forth between using metal foil vs Alclad for the ship I want to make.  It's a huge NMF surface and both approaches carry their own "complications"...  :icon_eek:

Given that you just did this in Alclad - what are your thoughts?  Would you use the same approach again?

• Like 1

hugely impressive overall effect, and amazing detail

given the model is 99.99% perfect, could I comment on just two things?

1. in that first pic the only giveaway is the tyre which doesn't look to be sitting quite right - not 'heavy' enough

2. the brassin barrels look good from head on where you can see the hollow muzzle, but the lack of real holes in the cooling jackets is noticeable in one close up (people may know I am not a fan of these)

if i ever build a B-17 i hope it is half as good as this - if it is I will be very chuffed indeed!

thanks for sharing

Nicholas

Thanks for the comments.

And yeah, you busted me! My attention to detail is sorely lacking.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

i couldn't resist coming back to these and looking at the pictures again

WHAT a beauty!

I had always thought that if ever i do get one of these monsters (the lanc is the one I am holding out for really), that it would be the upcoming F model

however, looking at what you have produced here, I think that if budget / successful bank robberies permit, i might dive in for a G too!

inspirational stuff

• 4 years later...