The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Right, time to fix up rivet errors, re scribe, sort out gap between cockpit and fuselage. I used mr surfacer 1200 and I must say that I'm impressed with this primer, all corrections can be easily identified to remedy, and it has a silky smooth surface texture- superb in fact. I've decided to use tamiya enamel for the exterior as I like the way it sprays. I find acrylic too temperamental getting the viscosity right, never fails with enamel and I don't encounter blockages at the needle tip. I will make my own colour up for the lower surfaces (RLM 76) as Tamiya's XF 23 doesn't look right out of the bottle. Most of my paints are always tweaked for personal taste. First coat will be the upper RLM 75 followed by the lower RLM 76 and mottling. I need to work the mold line off the canopy pieces before I can mask, so that's where I'm at the moment...cheers. Oz

Hi Ozzy,

scrape the seam away with a sharp blade, scraping as much as necesary and try to avoid damage beside the seam. The next step is polishing. I use a micro drill with polishing (cloth) head and a polishing paste, but you can use micromesh or these very fine Albion Micro Finishing Cloth Abrasive Pads-Set  http://www.albionhobbies.com/flex-i-file-precision-abrasives/ with a range from 3200-12000 grit. Moist the pads a little to prevent from damage by loose abrasive material.

After finishing the polishing process with the finest grid, clean everything up and dip the clear part into future or something similar as soon as possible, before the static functions as a dust magnet , voila seamless canopy all clear.

• Like 1

Hi Ozzy, can recommend the Micromesh clothes but I share your doubts about the Tamiya coarse polish. Used the coarse and fine on the canopy of my current Tamiya F-15C build but I'm pretty sure I could have gone straight from the highest grit Micromesh to the finish polish. It does look and feel freakily like toothpaste but as long as you keep it out of the bathroom you should be ok! Gotta agree about the Mr Surfacer as well, it's great stuff, especially the black 1500 if you want to go down the black-basing route. Never tried spraying the Tamiya enamels as they're hard to get in the UK but I find the acrylics spray much better when thinned with Mr Levelling thinner.

The 'Owl' is looking great so far, looking forward to seeing the paint going on.

• Like 1

Hu GusMac, I've just found GSI Creos have a compound that is 3000 grit, the finer stuff is out of stock. Might even try some ultimate buffing sticks, if that doesn't work I'll try the micromesh cloths. As its Christmas I can't get anything sent to me until the 29th, so I can't paint till the canopy until it's sorted and masked, and I can't drill out the radar Stubbs until I get some appropriate sized drills. Post some photos a soon as the first coat of paint is laid down. Cheers Oz

• 1 month later...

Finally, the camaflage has been applied. Next step is to seal the entire model with Alclad clear gloss. Then I will start washes, filters and general weathering of the aircraft. The Fu 220 bottom radar antenae's were painted the wrong colours up, I will remedy that as well as other touch ups with the airbrush. The propeller hubs will be painted a darker colour of Tamiya XF-1 & XF-24 @3:1. I hope the XF 24 grey just warms the black for subletly, but I wanted to paint this owl with a darker paint scheme than the average. I am happy the RLM 75 is more prominent than the RLM 76. The Fu 212 radar antenae's will receive a coat of Matt Schwarz soon as well as the rear radar. The light lenses, gun sight, armoured windscreen  plate  will receive paint. Hopefully I will be able to apply the decals after some suitable replacements are sourced from web. Cheers Oz

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for the favourable comment !  I wanted to do a darker type of camouflage colour for my owl. I'm working 72 hours a week so I don't get a lot of bench time at the moment! Since last photo I have applied gloss coat and some decals. Will post more photos on weekend, hope to make a start with weathering and pastels. Cheers. Ozzy