The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Hasegawa P-40E bringing back that mojo!

As mentioned in Danny's P-47 thread I had a serious lack of modelling enjoyment after doing long drawn projects without any chance of finishing within a reasonable timeframe. The last model I finished was two years ago. I had started the Fly Hurricane earlier this year but that one ended up in the bin. I needed help..... :huh:.

So I went out to look for a simple kit of a subject that I liked (Dutch livery or RAF) but not too complicated such as twin engines etc. So it had to be a fighter. I found the Hasegawa P-40E Warhawk a very nice subject so this is intended to be a no frills model. I also kept it from LSM for a while and just concentrated on myself:rolleyes:.

Here are some pics to show the progress so far two weeks after I started. I can say the pleasure has returned and I have enjoyed building up and painting the cockpit using only the Eduard interior set.

Cheers

Cees

20170208_193910_zpscdgttpmm.jpg

20170208_201300_zpsyvqtrrcd.jpg

20170214_213937_zpsrwws5863.jpg

20170214_215049_zps05pugg5c.jpg

20170215_200547_zps2gkeywzp.jpg

20170218_171610_zpspatohle7.jpg

20170219_134521_zps2b6khgyb.jpg

• Like 3

That's the reason for the P-40, when it's finished the motivation to delve into something complicated is revived.
Don't worry, the Manchester is never far away and sometimes it's nice to figure out how to tackle the engines or
cockpit detail while looking behind my eyelids. :lol:

• Like 1

Here's a pic of the cockpit oob with the Eduard interior set. The panel is much darker than in this pic where it looks blue.

The windscreen has the extra window frame which the E did not have, so will have to sand that away.
I think this will be the first of my models with the hood open. :D

20170221_192239_zpsocaocttv.jpg

• Like 2

Guest DannyVM

I had started the Fly Hurricane earlier this year but that one ended up in the bin. I needed help..... :huh:.

What happend Cees. Was it the kit or the modeler??;)

Regarding your P-40. I don't think this one will end up in the bin. The cockpit is just beautifully done, so i think this will be a really stunning model once it's finished.

Greetz

Danny

Made some progress on the canopy parts. The kit windscreen has an extra frame the E didn't have so that one had to go. I always am very nervous sanding clear parts but with some elbow grease it's relatively painless. The fuselage part that hides behind the rear sections had to be sprayed first after the clear parts were fitted very carefully to avoid vingerprints or gluestains. Hasegawa really made some very nice fitting parts here, with the exeption of the guninserts, those needed quite a bit of sanding and Mr Surfacer but the joins are invisble now.

20170225_163628_zpsejxycrfg.jpg

20170226_161732_zpsnptupvlo.jpg

20170226_193645_zpseobqxsgb.jpg

20170226_193912_zpsgcrozqvf.jpg

• Like 1

Bit more progress. The windshield has been dipped in Parket + (futureish brand) and masked. After fitting and painting the gunsight the

windscreen was fitted. The exterior painting stage is getting nearer. Need some gaps to attend to near the rear glazing as well.

20170228_204442_zpseorkcb0q.jpg

20170228_204425_zpspxyhggpn.jpg

• Like 1

Guest DannyVM

Great work on the windscreen Cees. Question, are you gonna paint the inside of the windscreen to, or am i going to fast;) now??

Greetz

Danny

Hi Danny,

I planned to but as I couldn't source the Eduard masks, so had to make my own. The rear panels are quite simple but the windscreen

wasn't, and the inside is even more difficult so I chickend out. I will spray the frames with the interior colour first though so it looks like

the inside frames are painted. Next model I will go the whole way.

Yes it does, the kit is very modular as Hasegawa wanted to make the most out of one mould. The wings have seperate parts for the gunports and as you can see in the pics the area behind the pilot has several options for the N-version as well and there are seperate inserts for the exhaust pipes, breather panel in front of these and the carburettor and inlet bits. The fit of the tail is reasonable but just that and the best way is to fit the tail and fuselage parts togehter to get one full fuselage half and then join them in the same style as a "normal" kit. But in general the fit is great and it's only the tail and winginserts that need some fettling to get them right.

Apart from a small area that needs cleaning up the model has all openings plugged ready for the main paintjob. It was fun sofar and the real fun is about to begin.

• Like 1

Thanks, what a nice pic. I have seen several cockpit pfoto's of mostly restored aircraft with many subtle differences.

Airframe is ready for spraying the interior colour over the glazing and after that an aluminium coat.

Some more "old" progress as Photobucket is behaving terribly at the moment. But the new forum set up has a plan B.

Painting has begun, the interior green has been sprayed on the outside and some of the other bits such as wheels, prop etc.

have been sprayed as well. Areas of the undercarriage bays have been sprayed green as well and then were masked off.

p402.jpg

p403.jpg

P401.jpg

• Like 1

Hasegawa did a real good job here. ;)

Yesterday I airbrushed the undersides and wheel doors Neutral Gray and the Spinner Olive Drab, getting up to speed now.

Also practiced with the airbrush to get a better understanding of the thing.

And fun too while listening to the album Catch as catch can (guess).

Pics to follow later.

Now normally, i'm a Naval Aviation person, but there's something about a P-40E  i like. I cannot get the image of John Bellushi in "1941" out of my head. I have considered doing a factory fresh, stateside example to cut my teeth on.

The P-40 is sort of the BF-109 of Allied fighters, in the sense that there's a wide variety of versions and paint schemes......

Mee Likee!

david

• Like 1

Indeed David,

I hated the movie but the P-40 action was very nice, including Joh Belushi taxying up to the gasstation.

Jeroen, those Revell colours really are good for mixing and thinning, as soon as you have a milky consistency it

sprays great.