The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

HKM Lancaster, latest test shot images.

James H

so, just how big is this thing going to be? in Inches not mm's please..LOL!!!  I see the wing chord looks massive, in the guy's hand......... these will be epic builds..... I can't wait until all you guys get on these, it will be a feast for the eyes....

• Like 2

I would never argue about the math Phil.............. it certainly looks good to me.................... 38 inches........................my bench would not handle one wing !well maybe just barely....... I would like one, but I would have to get the purchase PAST "MY" Minister of Finance, and then I would have to actually build it, and or find a place to put it.......  oh the stresses of it all ! I thought modelling was supposed to be stress relief?:hsmack::rofl:Seriously I will live my Lancaster fascination through the builds you guys are going to post here....it is exciting times for sure.....

• Like 1

• Administrators
On 9/21/2018 at 12:38 AM, GrahamF@Iconicair said:

How did they add the rivets to the mould? Are they built up by fusing on in some way? As I have the test shot  which is smooth, I can't imagine they machined a whole layer away from the metal bar the rivets?

Graham

I dont know Graham. On the mosquito they also added service detail later on. These were fabric patches on the wings. I asked and they told me they were added by laser. Maybe they have a way of building up metal?

• Like 1

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Clunkmeister said:

We’re they able to add any oil canning to the surface?

Nope. As i understand the computers weren’t up to the task. A normal surface consists out of 1 polygon. A curved surface can consist put of hundreds. With all the loss of time getting the shape right, that would have created another year delay. Maybe more. Let’s be glad it hasn’t!

• Like 5

3 hours ago, JeroenPeters said:

Nope. As i understand the computers weren’t up to the task. A normal surface consists out of 1 polygon. A curved surface can consist put of hundreds. With all the loss of time getting the shape right, that would have created another year delay. Maybe more. Let’s be glad it hasn’t!

I, for one, have been keeping an eye on HKM's remarkable release line up since before the first B-25 arrived. This Lancaster was penciled into that release schedule way back then and I've been waiting, patiently, for it's arrival ever since. The companies progression since then has been quite impressive.

I appreciate that they've taken another couple of years since the first mockups at Telford to respond to feedback and correct a lot of the more obvious shape errors ... and I know they wanted to try the oil canning thing from the discussions that came about afterward ... but I agree - there's a point where plastic has to hit the shelves - and if there's a minority who get so triggered by a lack of that kind of surface texture that they refuse to purchase the kit ... well there is a much cheaper vac formed kit out there for them ... and good luck with that!

I have 2 of them slated for acquisition on my purchase list ... and one of Grahams (Iconicair) conversions.

Rog :)

• Like 4

• Administrators
6 hours ago, JeroenPeters said:

Agreed as well.  A dedicated masochist could do it by hand, but personally, I know of only one who would even attemp that type of thing...

And he’s here on this forum, too. :)

• Like 3

We are lucky to have it at all, so I also agree, and I would suppose at sometime, they would want to recoup some of their start up costs, as after all I guess it is business too eh?  This whole thing sounds fantastic, who would have thought just a few short years ago we would have such large detailed kits available, talk about advancements ... holy, it is mind boggling.....

• Like 2