Welcome to Large Scale Modeller: The home of the large scale military model builder. 

airscale

1/18 P51C Mustang "Lopes Hope 3rd"

+1 for rechristening LSM to LSK ... (K for Knitters, in case you had not heard of my adhesion to this new club)

Hubert

PS : oh, and yes, Peter, fantastic work, as usual ...

• Like 4

I'm not even sure knitting captures the difference in skill-set here between Peter and the ham-fisted like myself. Maybe Large Scale Finger-painters might be close!

Just stunning work again Peter. :unworthy:

• Like 3

Peter.

Brilliant work as always and after your last few updates, I'm giving up modeling and joining the LSM Knitting Group (LSMKG).

Keep 'em comin

Peter

• Like 3

haha you guys make me laugh - I want to learn how to knit!

had a bit of time this weekend, so lets press on...

..first up some landing gear torque assembly fittings - seen here, it's the green bracket & bellcranks and a torque tube.. these seem to sit the deepest under the fuel selector so had to be done next..

WIP616_zpsnrciv0it.jpg

..first I made the housings from plastic card...

WIP617_zpsquqdlf3d.jpg

..then made up all the belcranks and any bits that go in either bay - primed white as I have run out of mr surfacer...

..WIP619_zps3f2gxba2.jpg

..then all these were painted..

WIP618_zpssbwiffi4.jpg

..and assembled, including tiny banjo fittings where small rods come off the cranks to various bits...

WIP620_zpsg5bmbdcn.jpg

..and added to the airframe - the lower roof height in the model is making placing & spacing some of this stuff challenging...

WIP623_zpsxxlwymtv.jpg

..next this bit - the fuel shut-off valve - it's quite a distinctive and complicated little assembly...

WIP621_zpse6pej75u.jpg

..no build pics for this bit, but here it is completed...

WIP622_zpsiomwxdxf.jpg

..also added the hydraulic accumulator....

WIP629_zpsjivcganw.jpg

and then spent many hours plumbing the fuel selector valve - there is still one pipe to go between it and the fuel shut off valve, but there are some gubbins I need to add before doing that...

WIP624_zpsdih8wpgm.jpg

WIP626_zpsl3gtyj7j.jpg

WIP625_zpsnjd7fcv1.jpg

WIP627_zps4uqsrime.jpg

WIP628_zpsphl8qow4.jpg

..still lots of bits to do, but feel like its a bit of progress to get that done..

TTFN

Peter

• Like 8

hi folks :)

so, I am really glad this week is over - just look at all this piping...

WIP641_zpslfjsvoq3.jpg

WIP642_zpskit6cfeg.jpg

I got some 0/6 and 0.8 solder from Amazon which was all I could think would be silver, but flexible enough to be able to bend..

the inherent problem in this is that is also easy to bend by accident, so I would roll it flat using a sheet of balsa and a book (so as not to scar it), slide a brass tube along it to where I wanted to bend it and then bend as needed.

This works but for stringing it through holes, through or behind fittings it was an extremely tiring, demanding and frustrating job.. one I could really only do for 30 mins (or a pipe) at a time..

I made loads of fittings and parts the pipes connect to and while I don't have in progress pics, now I have done the bulk of it, and added the door retraction jacks, I took a bunch of photos of where it is at...

WIP630_zpslrk7ckow.jpg

WIP631_zpsggnpkbzh.jpg

WIP632_zpsiytvpnij.jpg

WIP633_zpswdlddkbd.jpg

WIP634_zpsnzmekbdd.jpg

WIP635_zpscylmchhq.jpg

..and in detail..

WIP636_zpsx8e2qjhl.jpg

WIP637_zpsawzz43rf.jpg

WIP638_zps7e6lytev.jpg

WIP639_zpsdodp2tqs.jpg

WIP640_zpslfsoxxjv.jpg

..so thats it - my eyes hurt

onto the uplocks & all the big pipes in the big hole at the front next...

TTFN

Peter

• Like 5

What can I say ... besides that I had to look twice at your pics to make sure I was looking at a kit :blink:

Hubert

• Like 4

I just found this build. HOLY S#^T!!! This is absolutely frickin awesome. :omg: :unworthy::popcorn:I'm definitely going to be following this one.

• Like 4

Soooooo...I ordered some nice knitting needles and a few colors of yarn.  Anyone interested in making some socks?

This has to be the most amazing thing I have seen in regards to modeling.  Wonderful to watch.......

• Like 3

As Hubert says it get harder to tell which are the pics of the real thing! :notworthy:

• Like 3

Peter

:omg:;)

Nothing more needs to be said.

Now where did I put those knitting needles:hsmack:

Keep ‘em

comin

Peter

• Like 3

crikey thanks guys - I am very grateful for your kind compliments and it is you guys I consider my primary judges who I must do my best to please :)

not much of an update, but it is still a fair few hours work..

I added the main pipes that go in the front of the weel bay roof - these are aluminium tube with insulating tape for the black bits and foil tape for the clamps..

WIP643_zpslkle8o4y.jpg

I also made up the uplocks which are tiny parts made from scaled plans and also the gear door sequencing assemblies that are another set of tiny parts with connecting rods.. they are the bits in and around the square holes in the bay roof..

WIP644_zpsfpkoblha.jpg

WIP645_zps2x9tmxtn.jpg

WIP646_zpszjh1yvrv.jpg

WIP647_zpswbpcijjk.jpg

..and the other side..

WIP648_zpscm7jdm11.jpg

WIP649_zpsqel5cvbr.jpg

WIP650_zpssioeirf4.jpg

..it may be difficult to grasp the size of these parts so here it is with a 5 amp fuse..

WIP653_zpsi3gz8ieq.jpg

..starting to look busy..

WIP651_zpsqdsk1iwh.jpg

WIP652_zpsrgfi85l7.jpg

electrical wiring next, then I think most of what I wanted to do here is done and I can close it all up and protect it and start work on the fuselage structure around the back of the canopy which is entirely absent at the moment...

TTFN

Peter

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

Work of art Peter as I said many times before MUSEUM QUALITY !!!  :unworthy:

Second that !!.......harv:notworthy:

• Like 1

Once you've seen it to scale with the fuse it's just even more astonishing! I'm not sure I could see parts that small never mind manufacture them.

• Like 1