Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

What is on your bench right now ? Share a picture :)

Martinnfb

13 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Whoops, started clipping sprues, then the glue came out, spent some time throwing paint with my airbrush and this happened:

IMG_20191219_201559.thumb.jpg.5336dbe6153f1f2eba28add889c92e1e.jpg

Oddly, had the same paint peeling that Jereon experienced on his BF-109 so touchups are coming...

Carl

Sorry to see that Carl, but for me, personally, that is the kind of luck I have had with 'those' kind of paints, and why, again , for me personally I always fall back on the enamels..... I REALLY have to step out of my comfort zone................and go back and try acrylic paints again, but this is why I always chicken out ..... I guess I'm a bit of a sissy...............:X:

• Like 3

Did some interior work on my WNW Pfalz. The problem is I started the build many years ago and sometimes it's hard to understand what I did then. Anyway, for me it will be a learning experience.
I applied internal steering lines for the first time (EZ-line) and used HGW belts, which had to be cut from the sheet. I fiddled the belts into the loops still on the PE-sheet :icon_eek:, which helps a lot and cut the ends of the paper belts slightly triangular for easier threading into the loops.

That is where I'm right now, fuselage about to get glued together.

Cheers Rob

IMG_6705.thumb.JPG.42d44abe9045f54617bee36d29a661c6.JPG

IMG_6706.thumb.JPG.541760d2ce3fba502cf7ac14458e9b7f.JPG

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Jeff said:

Sorry to see that Carl, but for me, personally, that is the kind of luck I have had with 'those' kind of paints, and why, again , for me personally I always fall back on the enamels..... I REALLY have to step out of my comfort zone................and go back and try acrylic paints again, but this is why I always chicken out ..... I guess I'm a bit of a sissy...............:X:

Jeff, I know what you mean. When I seriously started modelling again I’d still got some Extracolour enamels, I then bought a load of Tamiya Acrylic. Both have dire effects on the wife’s asthma, so tried Vallejo Model and Air and love them. I still have all the rest, I’ll try and use during the summer and spraying in the garage.....

• Like 4

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has had some difficulty with acrylics, for a while I thought it was just my ineptness......  I will give them a go again... I just have to find the time and the right subject, BUT I always seem to default back to enamels.... and yeah, Cathy gets after me for the smell too  ( of the paints :rolleyes: )  I guess , part of my problem  among many, is that I am working on OLD experiences, I have really yet to try the new paints out now, my times were Testors, acrylics, many moons ago... so maybe I need to step up my game and try the new stuff......

• Like 4

Jeff, the odd part is the lacquer lifted as well as the acrylic. The RLM 02 is AK lacquer and the RLM 70 is Gunze Aqueous.  So I suspect there must have been some surface contamination.

Here it is after touch up and with the white wing tips done. 

IMG_20191220_140453.thumb.jpg.5d1f53862f3081ee17e75b8e5110a32c.jpg

Carl

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Jeff, the odd part is the lacquer lifted as well as the acrylic. The RLM 02 is AK lacquer and the RLM 70 is Gunze Aqueous.  So I suspect there must have been some surface contamination.

Here it is after touch up and with the white wing tips done. 

IMG_20191220_140453.thumb.jpg.5d1f53862f3081ee17e75b8e5110a32c.jpg

Carl

AWESOME save Carl................. one would never know........  she is lookin the part for sure....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

so tried Vallejo Model and Air and love them. I still have all the rest, I’ll try and use during the summer and spraying in the garage.....

I've got a bunch of Model Air paints that I've given to my boys to use for their builds. I kept getting mixed results with them they love them but they're mostly brush painting with them. 

• Like 3

My sister and her family are visiting from Wisconsin for the holidays and they took the boys out to a Christmas market so I had some time at the bench today. 

IMG_20191222_232422.thumb.jpg.9cb8210271af271d9b61643523198b9a.jpg

Got the majority of the main decals done. There's some stencils left to apply and the 109 needs some legs. Hopefully I'll have both down before the end of the year. 

Carl

• Like 3

Years ago, Ernie sent me a Silver Wings Hawker Hart as an enticement to join the Dark side of the Force and build models with more than one main wing. I decided it was finally time to give it a shot. 

IMG_20191229_221712.thumb.jpg.a4c40e959c5e8162cb0e97d0f575753b.jpg

IMG_20191229_221725.thumb.jpg.b5b5e3cf0d5cad6b1a3cd214f7dfae02.jpg

The cockpit framing is a bit warped and has some breakages so I've started on making new ones from plastic rod.  Let's see how that works out. 

IMG_20191229_234334.thumb.jpg.97c276c42d99cf14c71f20928aa85595.jpg

Carl

• Like 7