Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

What is on your bench right now ? Share a picture :)

Martinnfb

25 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Interesting that they don't work but it does help keep the cost down on the kit.

It looks like the suspension in the M10 and Achilles kits will work though but that's a different design. 

The M10 and the Achilles kit also have Volute springs that don't actually

compress as far as I know....so the suspension will probably only pivot

like the Shermans

• Like 2

23 hours ago, DocRob said:

Try to get back into the modelling flow and start different projects. Today, I thought a bit of figure painting would do me some good and prepared a resin bust from Scale 75, called the Abyssmal. The grinding tool on the pic was very helpful with grinding the parts to fit, along a mask, naturally. I will test my figure airbrushing abilities with this, using my new Giraldez edition H&S Infinity gun. This thing is huge and heavy, but the cast is very fine detailed and will be a joy to paint.

IMG_1502.thumb.JPG.9d7642003d6a00730df9636cd6ff016f.JPG

IMG_1503.thumb.JPG.545b139cd6e66d2e4990b79a1665c6ff.JPG

Cheers Rob

That dude looks like he means business!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Plodding away, white masked, ready for the green, after cortisone injections in my hands they are working a bit better with less pain.

wRMvHL.jpg

Masking the undersides

SLxiB3.jpg

The Blu Tac method for a soft demarcation.

RM4Aeu.jpg

Paint soon.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 9

On 11/8/2023 at 2:06 PM, Spitfire said:

Plodding away, white masked, ready for the green, after cortisone injections in my hands they are working a bit better with less pain.

wRMvHL.jpg

Masking the undersides

SLxiB3.jpg

The Blu Tac method for a soft demarcation.

RM4Aeu.jpg

Paint soon.

Cheers

Dennis

Dennis

Sorry to read you needed cortisone injections in your hands, just so glad it's doing the trick. There are days my hands actually lockup for a bit but I guess it just comes with age.

Nice work on the cammo prep - I've done a few builds this year doing the same and it's well worth all the effort.          

1 hour ago, Peterpools said:

Dennis

Sorry to read you needed cortisone injections in your hands, just so glad it's doing the trick. There are days my hands actually lockup for a bit but I guess it just comes with age.

Nice work on the cammo prep - I've done a few builds this year doing the same and it's well worth all the effort.          

Thanks Peter, luckily my left hand was the worst, the two middle fingers would lock up (trigger finger), the thumb joint is shot and the hand used to cramp a lot but the injections have lessened the problems,

The hand does not cramp anymore, the middle fingers are behaving but the thumb is still a problem.

On the right hand the thumb is improved enough for me to use it properly.

As to masking the Re2005 lately I have been using paint masks on my builds (lazy) but I have reverted to the Blu Tac method which I think gives a better demarcation, it is what I have traditionally used in the past, it's time consuming but I like the result is gives.

I may use the store bought camouflage masks as templates for the Blu Tac version of masking on future builds.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 2

Dennis

Most important of all is you're responding well to the injections and getting back to being able to use your hands. Fingers crossed you keep making progress to a full recovery.

I haven't tried paint masks myself yet but it's on the list. I've done a lot of worm camo work and the results are awesome, just so time intensive. Looking forward to seeing the finished cammo work - I'm sure it's going to be topnotch.  For the Spitfire, I'm going hard edge as a lot of the builds I've followed and research, shows a hard edge was regularly used. See how it goes.

• Like 2

Dennis, 

Glad it’s helping!  I just got the same injections in my knees last week.  But it’s getting to the point of useless quickly.   I’m afraid I’m looking down the barrel of knee replacements next year.  The PA doing the injections told me I’m beyond needing them looking at X-Rays.  Bone spurs destroying the soft tissue. 
Going to attempt a little weight loss first. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, ScottsGT said:

Dennis, 

Glad it’s helping!  I just got the same injections in my knees last week.  But it’s getting to the point of useless quickly.   I’m afraid I’m looking down the barrel of knee replacements next year.  The PA doing the injections told me I’m beyond needing them looking at X-Rays.  Bone spurs destroying the soft tissue. 
Going to attempt a little weight loss first. 

Sounds familier, I had a torn meniscus in the right knee and ended up with a replacement knee, to get it working properly required physio and a lot of exercise, at home, it took me over a year to get it working right,

But I can walk for miles now and I still cycle 8 miles a day as my "penance" for being retired.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 4

What's on my bench?....Wheels, mostly.

From Andy's late Sherman. This took a while. Each has a seam around

Its circumference that needs to be eliminated... Each wheel is made up of halves. I tried something different... On each wheel I started erasing the seam using a fiberglass scratch pencil...this worked well. I did this wearing

a mask being afraid of inhaling fiberglass particles. Using a scrubbing motion, this quickly reduced the seam. Then, I followed up with wet sanding

under a running faucet

with sanding sticks ...180, 400, 600 grits.  Needless to say, this took time...

a few days......Not to mention the time required to assemble the wheels.

They look good....The Takom plastic is easy to work with. So far I've got

these and the suspension painted and assembled on the lower hull.

Got a lot to go...getting to the upper hull next.

DSCN1301_kindlephoto-2817137.jpg

DSCN1302_kindlephoto-4139976.jpg

• Like 5