The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

RCAF Lanc 10MP. This really is a group effort

Looks like the new wheels haven't hit the website quite yet. I wasn't able to find them.

However, ordering these is a no-brainer. For those who haven't ventured into any of Roy's Barracuda resin products, do so without any hesitation whatsoever. His stuff is top notch, and priced beautifully to boot. He provides well-researched, thoughtful upgrades for many kits. I'm yet to receive anything from him that includes even the slightest hint of a resin bubble, broken part, or soft mold. Some of the best resin out there.

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA

• Like 5

• Administrators

Dennis, I just noticed they weren't up yet as well.  But they've been announced on the Barracuda Facebook page.     I echo your statement regarding Barracuda Studios products. They're top notch in every single way.  Despite mine being a pre-production sample that was rushed out to me so they can be showcased on this build, I see absolutely NO flaws whatsoever except for some very slight flash in one single axle hole that I cleared out in literally 10 seconds, and there is not one single bubble, void, or resin flaw anywhere that I can see.

They're going to be the perfect finishing touch for my postwar Lancaster build.

Oh, and Dennis, it's good to see you here, man!!  You know we have a Traders Board here as well, right?  LOLOLOL  You might get the opportunity to relieve me of my hard earned cash in the future if you ever feel the need to do so.  haha

• Like 5

• Administrators
8 minutes ago, 1to1scale said:

the difference is comical! 

Shame on HK for getting the wheels so wrong!

They're definitely simplified, aren't they. But the kit wheels are pretty close to the wartime smoothies.  Just to be clear here, that's unsanded putty on the seam. 

Mark, I think if someone was so inclined, he or she could doctor up the kit hubs to better reflect the prototype hubs.

Here’s the picture of the master for the smoothies.  It was posted last night to the Barracuda Ready Room on FB.  The hub and sidewall details are much improved 

DE67BF9C-8DD0-4E0E-B51A-C5075E8CAB1A.jpeg

• Like 3

• Administrators
9 minutes ago, seiran01 said:

Cheers Ern!

The wheels are an August release, Roy should have some available in Chattanooga (if all goes to plan) but I doubt we'll see them on the website for order before that

Thanks Mike, I’ll change what I posted. I’d hate to have a bunch of order flood in ahead of time. 

• Like 4

• Administrators

Dennis, that's one of my favorite schemes. 

Beware though, if you're going to use Kitsworld decals, check carefully. Smitty built Victorious Virgin  using their decals and the nose art was quite oversize, as well as the call letters being the wrong shade of red.

FYI

• Like 4

• Administrators
26 minutes ago, Scooby said:

Very nice work.

And thanks for the influence getting the Belcher Decals and Barracuda wheels in 1/32!

Could you maybe talk to Mr. Tamiya and ask for a 1/32 CF-101 Voodoo?

Scooby, it’s about ALL of us asking for, and following through with performance once a request is honored.

Now YOU GUYS need to step up and purchase these parts and decals. Show the manufacturers that Canadian subjects are truly viable and popular, and that you folks out there will actually build them and then show them at contests. And make sure you promote these goodies tirelessly. It’s only right to do so.

all too often a manufacturer listens to modelers, invests a sizable sum of money in product development, production and marketing, only to have the project fizzle with next to zero sales.

Buy Belcher’s decals, buy the Barracuda wheels, talk to others involved and work to get the RCAF specific goodies produced and sold. Sometimes, just following up with your promises will break the logjam loose.

Last year at the US Nats, I campaigned tirelessly to Kinetic for a 1/32 CT-114.  They’re hitting the CF-18s hard, and they sell well. They did a line of 1/32 BAE Hawks, including an RCAF version, and sales were apparently lukewarm. So guess what? Suddenly they think trainers don’t sell. Will they do a CT-114? Who knows, but I won’t stop pounding the drum until it either happens, he runs away when he sees me coming, or I die.

• Like 3

Trust me, I buy from those guys. They are good friends, I even flew Roy to Canada once (Brett Green too).

I’ve also been involved in kit, decal, and aftermarket development (including a Belcher set).

I was giving Raymond tours of Cold Lake before I realized who he was. He was even measuring jets at the time. I was bugging Raymond about the CT-114 only a few weeks ago (he ignored me). As you probably know, it was in development and in 1/32 scale. If you know Rick Chin, he was involved in it and the motivational force behind it. I’m sure it would sell well, I’d buy nine right off the bat.

Rick passed away and I think the project going forward stopped. If anything, Raymond owes it to Rick. Rick helped with so many of Kinetics kits (Prowler, CF-5, Alpha Jet, Hawk, CF-18s, etc..). Raymond would fly into Vancouver, and Rick would pick him up and drive him to Calgary, then onto Cold Lake. Rick did this despite the fact that he was in stage 4 cancer and suffering bad.

I’d love to see a 1/32 Tutor produced dedicated to Rick. Just my strong feelings on it. Probably said too much too.

• Like 4

• Administrators

Awesome awesome awesome Scooby!  Sorry if I sounded all off putting and all, but like you, I’m a firm believer it putting one’s money where one’s mouth is.

between the bunch of us, we can make these things happen.  My next lobbying project will be to get Belcher onboard with 1970s-1980s 1/32 RCAF Dak decals.   That one might be a bit of a stretch, but failing decals, masks are just fine. He’s an expert on this stuff, so maybe he can say if the Lanc set has some useable things? Thinking the lightning stripe in particular...

I knew Rick Chin well. Raymond, too. Just by phone mind you, but I bugged them for what seemed like decades. LOL  I’m not a 1/48 scale guy, but I bought 8 of their CT-114 resin sets when they came out. I built one into a Hobbycraft kit, and am doing another. I just can’t unsee that windshield.

I NEED to get back in the air. My regular ship is undergoing a semi unplanned restoration that started with a simple failed annual due to the elevator fabric being iffy. Now the fuselage is stripped of the panels, the prop’s being done, and we’re redoing everything visible with the fuselage panels off.  :(  

The CT-114 Tutor would be the perfect size for 1/32. A-37 too, and Jet Provost/Strikemaster...   And they’re right up in Kinetic’s wheelhouse, too.

• Like 3

• Administrators

Ok folks, back on topic.

First of all, Dave Crosby turned me on to Mission Models paints. After I stayed right with him on his captured Ki-84 build, I became a believer. 

I’ve spent a bit of time working on the wings, and folks, I’m bloody well ecstatic at the results.  I’ve had a tiny amount off bleed through onto the outboard deicer boot due to shoddy masking, but I’ll fix that quickly enough tomorrow.

I also will shade duraluminum on the bottom panels as well.  The bottom looks positively boring.  Then a gloss clear for walkway and rounded application, followed by weathering.

There’s plenty of prep flaws that I just don’t have time to fix now, but right now, this model needs to be in Chattanooga in two weeks. I’m in good shape so far. 

I didn’t attend to the flippin’ landing lights, so I’ll try to fake something in, dammit. 

59BFE691-7101-4EA0-879B-9F6FB2759F31.jpeg

102C020A-3050-4663-8FC1-4DFA8DB9E005.jpeg

2172F4BC-C2FD-43E2-9729-8C29945319D2.jpeg

3628110A-5178-4E41-9045-ED41ABEB5304.jpeg

81E2796F-1165-47A4-99C5-D08853BFF81F.jpeg

• Like 7

• Administrators

I am finally getting an idea how truly MASSIVE this model is.

Up until now, my biggest build was the Wingnuts Felixstowe flying boat, and this one absolutely dwarfs the Felix.

I have a pretty big bench. This doesn’t fit.

I also hope the wings go on OK.... 

7B76F2BE-29B6-4A45-ABC3-B265C7F0F4F7.jpeg

D2F5B589-8154-4C13-B015-B9EAA4412B33.jpeg

• Like 7

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, Martinnfb said:

Magnificent work Ernie, I cant imagine the amount of patience and mental strength that you have to pour into that monster. Very exciting!

Thank you for sharing this.:unworthy:

Thanks Martin. It’s not anywhere near perfect and it has enough flaws to take it out of serious IPMS competition, but it looks good, it’s been rewarding, and should show well.

• Like 4

Beautiful work and those engine/wing joints are virtually flawless . . . 

The paint work is absolutely spot-on, you have done a grand job on that Ernie

Its looking like its going to be the best post-war Lancaster build EVER  .. :unworthy:

David

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Dennis7423 said:

Ernie, I'll be picking up a set of the smoothies for my build, which I hope to get started in the next few months once the B-17G is finished. I plan on building mine as Phantom of the Ruhr:

a3425306814_10.jpg

Here is the profile of the Phantom when she was with 100 Squadron, the photo above shows her at a later date with 550 Squadron. It does give clues as to the spec. ie Windows, ASI and she carried pointed props, no H2S

Profile-HW-K-HW-R.jpg

David

• Like 4

• Administrators

David,  Smitty had done Victorious Virgin with the Kitsworld decals.  The noseart was more like 1/28 scale and the red on the fuselage letters was sorta off a bit. Just beware.

I love the Phantom of the Ruhr scheme.  I considered that one when the kit first came out, and I know you'll do it proud

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Scooby said:

Trust me, I buy from those guys. They are good friends, I even flew Roy to Canada once (Brett Green too).

I’ve also been involved in kit, decal, and aftermarket development (including a Belcher set).

I was giving Raymond tours of Cold Lake before I realized who he was. He was even measuring jets at the time. I was bugging Raymond about the CT-114 only a few weeks ago (he ignored me). As you probably know, it was in development and in 1/32 scale. If you know Rick Chin, he was involved in it and the motivational force behind it. I’m sure it would sell well, I’d buy nine right off the bat.

Rick passed away and I think the project going forward stopped. If anything, Raymond owes it to Rick. Rick helped with so many of Kinetics kits (Prowler, CF-5, Alpha Jet, Hawk, CF-18s, etc..). Raymond would fly into Vancouver, and Rick would pick him up and drive him to Calgary, then onto Cold Lake. Rick did this despite the fact that he was in stage 4 cancer and suffering bad.

I’d love to see a 1/32 Tutor produced dedicated to Rick. Just my strong feelings on it. Probably said too much too.

Rick was an AWESOME guy... was at his shop in Cowtown , looking at his incredible stock, and just B/S ing him and he went and got us cold beer ! I had a Hell of a time getting out of the store, as he was  so interesting , and inviting and a great guy to talk with..... and as I recall he cut me a hell of a deal on my huge purchase..... I miss him..... I have noticed that there are a couple Canadian guys going down, Canmilair is done with decals and such, Canuck Models is finished, but David Winter said anyone could make a deal for his business, and 'take it over'................... and even Jim Botatis at Jobt is done...... if we are mentioning Canadian decal guys, one of my go to guys is Dave Koss at Leading Edge, he was not doing too much, for the past few years, but seems to be back at it, I just got his NATO F 18 decal set, and they are awesome, although not 1/32  but he has a few, and he is a real good guy too................... I'm with you guys, I do my best to support the 'local' Canadian guys too..... Take a bow Ernie, you certainly got the ball rolling here...... all we can do is ask.... Canadian subjects have been long over due, and we have some unique ones.........................

• Like 2

6 hours ago, FME erk said:

Here is the profile of the Phantom when she was with 100 Squadron, the photo above shows her at a later date with 550 Squadron. It does give clues as to the spec. ie Windows, ASI and she carried pointed props, no H2S

Profile-HW-K-HW-R.jpg

David

Thanks David, I appreciate it. I intend to build her as her earlier war self, with less bomb tallies, and 100 Sq codes. The kit codes are a tad on the light side, so I will replace them with more suitable (read, masks) codes. She's so large, that all the markings, sans nose art, should be painted on. That's my intent.

Eduard Big-Ed sets are on the way, and I'll grab up the Barracuda wheels once they are released. I saw Roy mentioned 10 new sets that he will (hopefully) debut at Nats in Chattanooga, so I'm curious to see if he has any others for the big Lanc. Maybe he'll bless us with a new pilot's seat! I presume, however, that most will be for Airfix's new Hellcat.

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA

• Like 3

• Administrators

Well, assuming that someone will pick up the ball and run with it on Mike's parts, we should now have enough stuff to do a fairly close representation of a late 50's - early 60's Mk.10MP.  With some basic cockpit mods and a bit in the nose, you should be good to go.

Yes there's plenty of differences with the interior, but I absolutely guarantee you that they're all invisible unless you model the rear door open.  The HK kit has 90% of what you need to do a postwar Mk.X, just scratch the fuselage dorsal doublers and mix and match the kit parts. 

I hope we see more of these coming down the line very soon.

Next for me will be a Lancastrian in TCA colors.

• Like 3

• Administrators
9 minutes ago, Dennis7423 said:

Thanks David, I appreciate it. I intend to build her as her earlier war self, with less bomb tallies, and 100 Sq codes. The kit codes are a tad on the light side, so I will replace them with more suitable (read, masks) codes. She's so large, that all the markings, sans nose art, should be painted on. That's my intent.

Eduard Big-Ed sets are on the way, and I'll grab up the Barracuda wheels once they are released. I saw Roy mentioned 10 new sets that he will (hopefully) debut at Nats in Chattanooga, so I'm curious to see if he has any others for the big Lanc. Maybe he'll bless us with a new pilot's seat! I presume, however, that most will be for Airfix's new Hellcat.

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA

Dennis, that's going to be an awesome build. I'm looking forward to it.

• Like 4