The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

RCAF Lanc 10MP. This really is a group effort

• Administrators
2 hours ago, CrankyCrafstman said:

Looking good Clunky 

Thanks, Ron!  

I've gotten ALOT of feedback on the exhaust patterns I've used, some of it questioning the outboard engines and how the exhaust stains shouldn't go over the wings. All I can say is that I went by the period photos and this is what they show. :)

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Martinnfb said:

That little inflation valve stem in priceless. This is so much fun to follow. Thank you Ernie .

LOL, I'm kinda proud about that wee detail, nearly missed adding it to the design!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

Thanks, Ron!  

I've gotten ALOT of feedback on the exhaust patterns I've used, some of it questioning the outboard engines and how the exhaust stains shouldn't go over the wings. All I can say is that I went by the period photos and this is what they show. :)

I think you nailed it. Of coarse, not every aircraft has the same staining but they tend to be quite similar. I was going to comment on this earlier in the thread when IIRC, someone made the observation that the outboard engines have less exhaust staining than the inboards by pretty substantial amount. This was backed up by a picture and there was a little talk about what might cause this phenomenon.

If you just look at the wing you can see what is going on. When you look at it not sitting on the gear but in the attitude it would take in flight from the front, the wings obviously start to up-sweep just past the inboard engines and continue this angle to the end of the wing.

The outboard engines while mounted on the up-swept wing are mounted so they are level in flight (X and Y axis) as are the inners, leaving the outboard engine's outboard exhaust stacks farther away from the leading edge of the wing than is the inboard exhaust stacks.

So the inboard engines have nearly identical staining while the outboard engines have less staining on the inboard exhaust and even less on the outboard exhaust. 

We must have looked at the same photos..........

• Like 4

On 8/1/2019 at 2:39 AM, Clunkmeister said:

Well, my only issue is some mystery crazing on this one convex window. I have no idea now it occurred, it was perfect up till it was masked, but it’s certainly caused be me somehow. I’ll overcoat it with Future from the inside. I should be able to reach it with a funky brush.

08CC1E4F-D3FD-4F94-8D08-F93B3F822534.jpeg

fork me that looks beautiful....

Peter

• Like 6

• Administrators

Peter, coming from you, Sir, the master of all things metal,  that’s high praise indeed. 

Now I’ll go unswell my head.

You simply use real metal, and the rest of us work like demons to somehow make long dead refined dinosaur extract just look like metal.  

• Like 3

• Administrators
30 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Some great progress there Ernie. The gear looks fairly solid, especially if it's just dry fit together.

Carl

Carl, the gear’s great, actually.  4 point mounting on the corners and thick legs, so it’s super sturdy. 

• Like 3

• Administrators

It’s about done as far as airframe stuff goes. Now we stick it together and run the antenna wires.

I refinished the portside inner nacelle. I didn’t like the exhaust pattern, so I’ll reapply it tomorrow.

5505CEE9-AA74-4C5B-AA97-CC7244639873.jpeg

9A87FDA4-12C4-45BC-AF78-F2E58ADFC80B.jpeg

2CD833C9-DA56-48DD-8A7B-C834A6DE8044.jpeg

D6779823-C828-4CA9-A7C0-FD0F1F687304.jpeg

28B24136-E59B-458E-BD71-AE2F4E79398F.jpeg

03C829B3-C273-4645-9951-58C1CBAF1549.jpeg

• Like 6