Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

The Absurdity of it All. Huge airplane models.

Clunkmeister

1 hour ago, HubertB said:

Well, for me it’s the aboslute rerverse: guns, bombs, camos, and Nazi swastiks are an absolute repeller.

Hubert

Well...  there's always tiddlywinks.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, GazzaS said:

Well...  there's always tiddlywinks.

If you really looked for them (like me), you’d be really surprised by the number of 1/32 models that fill my bill, Gaz ;)

Now, considering my output, tiddlywinks may be an option for my spare time :blink:

Hubert

• Like 3

3 hours ago, HubertB said:

If you really looked for them (like me), you’d be really surprised by the number of 1/32 models that fill my bill, Gaz ;)

Now, considering my output, tiddlywinks may be an option for my spare time :blink:

Hubert

I'd like to think I'm a middle of the road kind of guy, I do like to do both kinds, but am finding lately that as so many of the new birds are rather dull, or have been , and also I have done a lot of cammo ones, I seem to be leaning towards more civilian stuff, mostly due to the options of color choices and the possibility of something a little different on my shelf ( IF I ever get anything finished)  as an example , I have the Kitty Hawk UH1D Helicopter on the go..... so instead of making it a Viet Nam machine, I'm trying to convert it to a Bell 205 A1 from Conair Helicopters , as well as , I think I have room for a Chinook as used for forest fire work with Columbia Helicopters..... my OH 13 is going to be an Okanagan Bell 47G ( had decals made for that one) ......... not that I don't like or do them with guns, BUT it gives me an opportunity to go either way the wind blows...... for me it is fun to research and see if a military machine is or has been used in the civilian application, and that is why I come here to get more inspiration and ides................................ and as for tiddly winks.......................... man I haven't played that in 50 years, might have to find a set and take on the Mrs. !! I remember them being lots of fun....:D

• Like 3

• Administrators
6 hours ago, HubertB said:

Well, for me it’s the aboslute rerverse: guns, bombs, camos, and Nazi swastiks are an absolute repeller. Whilst I understand the marketing reasons for a C-47, I am still waiting for a HpH DC-3 ....

Hubert

Most postwar Civilian DC-3s are actually C-47s, so having the kit available is areal boon.  :)

Same with wartime Ju52s. Countless civilian schemes, but most were ex military birds.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Clunkmeister said:

Most postwar Civilian DC-3s are actually C-47s, so having the kit available is areal boon.  :)

Same with wartime Ju52s. Countless civilian schemes, but most were ex military birds.

Probably most C 46's too eh Ernie? Were the ones you flew ex-military?  I bet they were..... and I bet we could go as far a Norseman, some Beavers and Otters as well....

• Like 2

• Administrators

I like the memorable and the unique.  I have the IL-62M and Tu-154M in 1/72 scale, which is what I consider a great scale for big jetliners.   

62M will be in CSA scheme, and 154M will be in their last Aeroflot colors.

I’d love a 727-200 in 1/72 as well. Air Canada or American Airlines polished aluminum. Yum

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Johann said:

For me, the desire to possess is understandable, but is it true that those who wish will find a place for such monsters on the 32nd scale?

8f72db131df3.jpg

Ан12.jpg

Тот-16.jpg

Johan, are those paper model yours? Incredible work.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Martinnfb said:

I see, thank you. Still very impressive builds.

+1 !

They just show what can be achieved by a gifted paper modeller, and how far their design has gone thanks to CAD, compared to the old Eastern Block models of the 70s and early 80s

And if, like me, you believe that ships have to be in 1/200 to be "meaningful", then paper models are about the only option you can have (and a lot cheaper than the big Trumpeter plastic battlewagons, great as they are).

Hubert

Edited by HubertB
Deleted a sentence that had political implications, following Johann's reply below. Sorry about my lack of initial judgement.
  • Like 3

Oh, oh! Just do not politicize, and do not argue the old stereotypes. And then I will have to believe that my favorite toy as a child was a Kalashnikov machine gun, and my best friend is a brown bear))) Yes, paper models became much more interesting than they were in the 70s-80s, but plastic didn't stay in place either developed.
You can do everything yourself and not hang from the mistakes of others. (These are not my models either, but I worked with this man a lot and took some examples of him. The models are all in 1/32)
_DSC9630.jpg

photo_1_1508034571.jpg

20180109_225643.jpg

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, Johann said:

Oh, oh! Just do not politicize, and do not argue the old stereotypes. And then I will have to believe that my favorite toy as a child was a Kalashnikov machine gun, and my best friend is a brown bear))) Yes, paper models became much more interesting than they were in the 70s-80s, but plastic didn't stay in place either developed.
You can do everything yourself and not hang from the mistakes of others. (These are not my models either, but I worked with this man a lot and took some examples of him. The models are all in 1/32)
_DSC9630.jpg

photo_1_1508034571.jpg

20180109_225643.jpg

Fair point, Johann. Sorry about my comment. My post has been edited and the (rather daft - let’s face it) offending sentence deleted. And these models are truly outstanding !

Hubert

• Like 4

No, I didn’t see anything offensive there, just old stamps). In addition to the arms race, one of my two homelands produced amazing toys, by the way, and models. And in the paper models of lireram was Poland. Sometimes I look at paper models (modern) and make myself think to try. There is much that no one did in plastic or in resin ...

Unfortunately, my English is still terrible, I apologize if I do not quite understand writing

• Like 4

7 hours ago, smitty44 said:

Here is a violent transport for ya, Gazz.  Did you all know AC-130's now have laser or gps guided glide bombs, and a small version of the Hellfire….badass!!

P1010076.JPG

P1010171.JPG

Oh yes, I agree that it's a bad ass weapon system.   But still rather portly. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...