The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

DOLPHIN NOSE a.k.a. MI-17A-5 a.k.a. CH-178

Thank you for stopping by Mark, it is late and I just finished basic shapes . Dolphin is pretty much there, and the loading ramp has also new shape. The transition between the windshield and the weather radar dome needs some TLC, but not today. 

Cheers

M. 

DMHS0180.JPG.5e97aebc9909344bda7f2d02fa3606df.JPGULOK2527.jpg.d1382011cd1e81fff1fbc110784b5844.jpgEBII8197.jpg.7d9db08a2836f60551c0ade007579c84.jpg

• Like 8

• Martinnfb changed the title to DOLPHIN NOSE a.k.a. MI-17A-5 a.k.a. CH-178
  • Administrators

Martin, this is something I’ve wanted to do for eons, but never had the time and the will both at once.

I’m loving this build.  It’s amazing how a loading ramp and a Huey style western looking nose completely change the look and character of this reliable old workhorse.  Like the breathed new life into an old design.

• Like 5

Looking great Martin, at firs I couldn't believe that the blob in front of the copter would convert to an elegant nose and voila, nose nicely done. Nice job of scratching with the back door as well.

Cheers Rob

• Like 5

• Administrators

Martin, I’ll say this again. 

If you could make Masters of these parts you’ve made, you’d sell hundreds of what would be a very involved, very nice conversion for the Trumpeter Mi-17.   This type of scratchbuilding is beyond the abilities of 98% of builders, but your kit would open the door and nicely fill this wide open gap in modern helicopter modeling. 

I wish I had just half of the raw talent I’m seeing on display here.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Clunkmeister said:

If you could make Masters of these parts you’ve made, you’d sell hundreds of what would be a very involved, very nice conversion for the Trumpeter Mi-17.   This type of scratchbuilding is beyond the abilities of 98% of builders, but your kit would open the door and nicely fill this wide open gap in modern helicopter modeling. 

I couldn't say that any better....................  You're no slouch either Ernie, I've seen some of your talents, and you have them , bud..... I agree , making masters of this conversion would be an open door for cool stuff......

• Like 4

First of all , big thanks to US ARMY photographers for providing me with this awesome shot :)

usarmy.thumb.jpg.672c21a4f7c0aa0c4a74809a973c0908.jpg

I've been on it for past few hours and I would say that the basic shape of the heated is more-less in. Also I realized that I can not scribe into it. It is basically a blob of 16 gauge led shot and super glue. I had to choose different approach of gluing on panels and latches made out of plastic and sanding it down smooth.

FYUY3972.jpg.8609e077341ea8acb9d4997b797b04e6.jpg

basic shape

SFGIE8746.JPG.3c56ab99b1851dcc068d0ac751bb0c11.JPG

filled and covered in some crocket plastic bits, that will later create a decent base for some detailing.

IMG_E0574.JPG.c0efe5d914fc955210ad8971b4813e7d.JPG

heaa.thumb.jpg.b8be2632c2bf28404d1dbb26c87865df.jpg

• Like 7

14 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

I hear you Ernie, unfortunately I don't know how to cast and this is basically a test-mule for later conversions.  Canadian version represent Mi-17-A5 that is produced by Kazan company. The direct competitor is Ulan Ade produced Mi-8AMT (Mi-171) used by Czech Air Force for example. And that is going to be one of my future projects. Also an early Mi-8. Sound easy, almost, however every one is different in many ways. :)

Also, conversions as such , take lots of resin and I am not sure who would want to tackle it. I can make a hard molds of the nose , possibly the ramp for you, but that's pretty much it.

Thank You for stoping by guys and commenting.

8837545633_214be1d891_b.jpg

• Like 4

In the beginning Martin created the resin Blob.
And the Blob was without form, and void; and dust was upon the face of the yellowishness . And Martin moved upon the face of the blob with a sand paper.  and then Martin said, Let there be windows and there were windows.
And Martin saw the window, that it was good....... and Martin called it a Dolphin nose........ OK now. I am good , but not that good :)
pic1.thumb.jpg.770fdbe34a119766b3782155673396f8.jpg

At the begging I spent stupidly long hours by staring at the pictures of the real window from variety of angles. Realizing that the concave shape will be a bit of a challenge, so I build up a bit of resin on the sidewalls, in order to blend in the set of windows made most likely from a CD cover. 

First some preliminary sketch 
IMG_0576.JPG.9bb42aba199e42980b588bd1bcd5be79.JPG

Second, transferring the shape on the tape and taping it on piece of plastic sheet. Cutting out the window in order to create template.
IMG_0577.jpg.e3c95dd6a89a19fe3768d7c25ee0e4ef.jpg

Next, using my flexible template to scribe the windows . Drilling , filing scratching :)
IMG_E0579.thumb.JPG.bd01890d319ce4a96a49d265a20209a2.JPGIMG_0578.jpg.58f22cf19eb9ca55c275ae1d47d6e39e.jpg

I hope you guys are having fun , the same way as I do. 
Thanks for checking in.
Cheers
M.

gonna find that CD cover :)
mexicohip.thumb.jpg.0a12b9f32c33001df919b0a296b2d926.jpg

• Like 6

• Administrators

The Canadian birds seem to show even more bits of armor tacked on the sides around the pilot.  I guess they tacked on bits of steel wherever they could. 

Many stories of Huey jocks in Vietnam bringing a piece of steel plate to sit on. Protecting the family jewels from the odd well aimed rifle shot is most important 

• Like 4

• Administrators

That’s some decent ballistics protection, Martin. Protecting against 7.62mm NATO at 20 yds is not easy for ceramic. I assume the ceramic degrades after each hit, making multiple hits in the same spot to be problematic? 

Not much good against 50 BMG, but not to many soldiers carry a 50 cal. as a personal weapon.

Some good information here. The bird seems well protected. Better than the old Huey, no doubt.  Are the saddle tanks self sealing at all?

• Like 2

Appliqué armour is easily replaceable, crew not so much. As long as it takes them back home, everyone's happy. In case of 50 caliber, there are plenty of Cobras , Apaches and Kamovs to deal with it :)

Another big info came out of US ARMY web.  A top shot of the heater, that is worth of gold

110512-F-AY298-634.JPG

this is why .......go Martin,,, go Martin,  go go go Martin :)

warnings.thumb.jpg.41113523db93ba1dc0051224fe0e2033.jpg

And some more details of reinforcement and hinge on top of the heater  :)

468557.jpg.a52e2a70284f80d20f9c4a52869051e6.jpg

• Like 4