The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

JG2 FW190A8

I am looking forward to the build and here's what I'll be going with.  The Hasegawa FW190A8 kit and Montex Mask for the color scheme worn by JG2 on D-Day.   I'll be using aftermarket seatbelts, but past that it'll be OOB.  I've got 2 days before I head to Orlando for school for 2 weeks and I'll try and get some done before I leave.  Most of my time will come in July and August and that's when I hope to dig in and make a lot of progress.   Thus far a bit of cockpit work and taping the major parts tough to check the size and fit.

20190523_152919.jpg

20190511_220729.thumb.jpg.9310d6653be1a216b43dbf6b02848763.jpg

• Like 6

2 hours ago, TJTX said:

Is RLM 66 correct for the cockpit color?

Answered my own question...yes.

Yes it is Tony,

But that's the least of your worries. Any idea what colours you'll be using for the 3 tone upper scheme?

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Wumm said:

Yes it is Tony,

But that's the least of your worries. Any idea what colours you'll be using for the 3 tone upper scheme?

I was just planning on following the Montex call out.  But....that may not be correct.   If anyone has any clues as to what to use I'm all ears.

• Like 2

RLM61:  Dark-Brown-RLM-61-xlg.jpg

RLM02:  MMP-056%20Grau%20RLM%2002.gif

RLM76:  MMP_051_RLM_76_1024x1024.jpg?v=148806428

My guess, anyway.  Stuff they would have found in any Luftwaffe paint locker.

Gaz

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Members
26 minutes ago, TJTX said:

I was just planning on following the Montex call out.  But....that may not be correct.   If anyone has any clues as to what to use I'm all ears.

I'm inclined to go with 02, 74, 75 but that darkest color almost looks like it could be 70.  The joys of trying to interpret from B&W photos! :lol:

• Like 2

kurtovsky.jpg.ec11df1ab7befdf0008c1e6cf932dc17.jpg

Kurt Bühlingen served with the Luftwaffe from 1936 until early 1945. At first he joined the Luftwaffe as a mechanic, but underwent flying training in 1938 and 1939. He was placed with Jagdgeschwader 2 in July 1940 as pilot with the rank of Unteroffizier. In September 1940 he scored his first enemy kill. In December 1942 he claimed his 40th victory while serving with II. / Jagdgeschwader 2 in Tunisia, North Africa. In March 1943 he returned to Europe. A year later he had scored 96 kills and commanded II. / Jagdgeschwader 2 with the rank of Major. Later he led the Jagdgeschwader 2 during fighting on the Eastern Front. As Kommodore of Jagdgeschwader 2, due to an engine failure, he was forced to land in enemy territory in early 1945 and was taken POW by the Soviets. He stayed in imprisonment until 1950.
During his career he shot down 112 enemy planes in over 700 operational flights. He was shot down three times.

• Like 4

LOL...  it all really depends upon whose profile you choose to rely. 

Here's an interesting Luft-story for you.  I can't remember where I read it, but I did read it when I was a teen.  During my teen years the subject related books I read were Horrido, and The first and the Last .   One of the senior Luftwaffe pilots had some new boys up with him on a training exercise over northern France.  He spied below him a "Spitfire" with it's characteristic green and brown camo.  He radioed the newbies to watch his bounce technique.

The guy in the "Spitfire" radioed back to him that he wasn't a Spitfire, but in fact a 109 in experimental camo.

...  so maybe Martin's colors make more sense.

• Like 5

Yeah, there is no universal answer. The problem is  that if there is no written evidence it's a lost cause. All the witnesses from the past are gone. We can perhaps just stick with usual standards or go wild. I guess it is in the eyes of the beholder. I am easy. :)

• Like 3

Love the pictures Martin.  They may help with a possible  base for my build.  I'll probably go with the standard colors since Martin has never steered me wrong yet.  

• Like 5

Note this little gem from the past provide by Neil / Falke Eins...

http://falkeeins.blogspot.com/2011/05/fw-190-colours.html?m=1

The Farbton 75 on this relic is very light, more like the colour on the Hasegawa boxtop that what is often promulgated as 75 by Hobby Paint Manufacturers. The green 74 is darker than expected, but also closer to the Hasegawa interpretation. I would go with these colours, with a standard camouflaged wing and an RLM 70 patch over the lower tail portion.

S

• Like 3

• Administrators
12 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

I would stick with standard 74/75/76 until proven otherwise .

You can't go wrong with this, especially if stenciling is still visible. So far you've gotten about 10 answers, which is pretty standard for mid 40's LW paint questions. :rofl:  

Good luck, Tony. rest assured that no two people will agree, but there comes a time where you just need to pick up the ball and run with it.

• Like 3

• Administrators
12 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

Yeah, there is no universal answer. The problem is  that if there is no written evidence it's a lost cause. All the witnesses from the past are gone. We can perhaps just stick with usual standards or go wild. I guess it is in the eyes of the beholder. I am easy. :)

Eyes of the beerholder you mean.  

martin, you mention something that's been on my mind of late. We're losing our WW2 Veterans at very high rate now, and sooner than later, they'll all be gone. Every single one of them. Men I grew up knowing as hardworking members of society, we watched them age before our eyes, and now they're almost all gone.

• Like 4

Very true, it is in our arrogant nature,,to ignore the important elements in our lives until we loose them. That applies to everything, nature, basic values and heritage. Kinda unsettling to think about it. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Martinnfb said:

Very true, it is in our arrogant nature,,to ignore the important elements in our lives until we loose them. That applies to everything, nature, basic values and heritage. Kinda unsettling to think about it. 

VERY...................

• Like 3

Here's the color callout from Montex.  I do like the look of the brown, but I think it makes sense they kept the original colors.   It'll give me something to ponder at night during training.   

20190524_181255.jpg

• Like 4