The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Wingnut's Floating Gotha

The new Gotha UWD landed at my house today along with its (uglier...) land-based counterpart. For some reason this plane has always fascinated me, so everything else has been pushed aside to start this one. It's bloody gorgeous to see the plastic in person.  Roughly the same length as the Gotha G.IV, with wingspan 2-3 inches shorter.  The floats are massive, they are about as long as the span of the lower wing of an Albatros D.V!

Day one: Cleanup of sprue stubs and mold separation seams, the floats and rear fuselage have been glued together and the three-piece lower wing has been joined. I'm hoping to make quick progress on this and bring the (completed?) build to the Nats somehow. Transport will be very difficult, but if I can figure out how to get it there, it'll be there.

CmRGhVQ.jpg?1

pRfzhMg.jpg

• Like 3

Not as much progress to show as I wanted to today on the Gotha UWD, as I spent a lot of the day prepping parts to paint in big batches. I did prime the floats and rear fuselage with Mr Surfacer White, then noticed an a fix needed on the rear fuselage to be completed tomorrow:

NOTE ON A UWD FIX- it is not mentioned in the instructions, but you need to remove and fill in the stitching detail on the rear section of the fuselage underside where you will be painting the wood panels. Don’t remove this rear part of stitching if you are building the Gotha G.I.

7vc8Pew.jpg

• Like 3

Finally, time to do some real work on this thing :coolio:

Gotha UWD cockpit was started today.  I will do clear coats, washes, and detail painting next.

Wood grain is simply black preshade on the bare plastic, with Tamiya xf60 dark yellow over it. This is followed by brushing AK Rust Streaks enamel wash to create wood grain using a few different brushes.

Seat is black preshade, Tamiya xf10 brown, and a dry brushing of Vajello light orange (so far). Hell im almost tempted to leave this as is!

ZlHyte1.jpg

• Like 8

Thanks guys :)

give that wood grain trick a try, Dave @ Wingnut clued me in to it a few years back and I haven’t used anything but this since. It’s infinitely faster than waiting for oils to try. Just make sure to use a soft brush and very soft touch

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Gotha UWD update finally!

I had to strip and repaint the wood grain I had done in mid July, finally had a chance to clear orange coat it today. This was done rather roughly as I will be adding some sort of black/smoke coat over it to simulate the bitumius tar waterproofing. Much of the grain will be hidden under that. Fuselage fabric is going to be repainted as well, found a few flaws I missed underneath.

041201A2-586C-4E5F-84E7-30C6E825B194.jpeg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick Gotha UWD update as I had a moment to redo the floats. Will add a bit of streaky clear smoke over the dark wooden areas still, but you get the idea of the effect I’m going for on the bitumous tar-covered floats and tail area of the plane. Green will still be repainted after a few fixes of sanding I missed.

UYuy90O.jpg

• Like 7

On 8/14/2019 at 7:49 PM, seiran01 said:

Just a quick Gotha UWD update as I had a moment to redo the floats. Will add a bit of streaky clear smoke over the dark wooden areas still, but you get the idea of the effect I’m going for on the bitumous tar-covered floats and tail area of the plane. Green will still be repainted after a few fixes of sanding I missed.

UYuy90O.jpg

very nice! I can smell the tar.

• Like 3