The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

CMK CT-133 Silver Star- back from the shelf of doom FINISHED!

So I dug this out form the shelf on a whim. 

IMG_20190805_150924-L.jpg

Basically I had gotten the hard part of the build out of the way and due to a bad paint job, gave up. This was my first try at a NMF and it may have been a bit ambitious.

For a better assessment, I dusted it off.

IMG_20190805_163946-L.jpg

I guess I shouldn't have used a cloth soaked in lacquer thinner. :D

It actually took a fair bit of scrubbing to get it back to bare plastic. I tried a quick sanding at first. 

IMG_20190805_152602-L.jpg

IMG_20190805_152609-L.jpg

After a couple quick swipes, I went outside armed with Tamiya lacquer thinner, some paper towels and cotton buds. 

IMG_20190805_154811-L.jpg

The putty work needs some touch up and then I'll start on a second try at the paint job .

Carl

• Like 6

2 hours ago, harv said:

Looking forward to this resurrection buddy......harv:popcorn:

Thanks Harv. Should be interesting. Hopefully this time I can finish it. 

1 hour ago, Ryan said:

Welcome to the strip club.

if I don’t strip something on a kit, I’m doing something wrong. :lol:

Isn't that the truth. I had to strip my Mossie when the top coat ended up too opaque. 

IMG_20160915_235035-L.jpg

It came out much better the second time around. Which is what I hope happens here. 

IMG_20161014_222726-L.jpg

• Like 5

Ok, I spent the early evening fixing the putty work. 

IMG_20190805_185347-L.jpg

This mostly involved spraying some Mr Surfacer onto the wing root areas to recreate the slightly raised panels 

Then once that dries, I sprayed some silver. I'm using Tru-Color Metallic Silver.

IMG_20190805_231828-L.jpg

IMG_20190806_002030-L.jpg

So far it's been spraying really great. Not as smelly as Mr Color. No black base coat as per what my LHS said using the paint. Just straight onto the plastic. 

• Like 9

Love the built up primer method, that’s another get outa jail free trick.

Stripping is scary and somewhat labor intensive, but it gives you another chance at greatness!

Ryan

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Ryan said:

Love the built up primer method, that’s another get outa jail free trick.

Stripping is scary and somewhat labor intensive, but it gives you another chance at greatness!

Ryan

I tried the primer trick once before on my Seafire 47 (another slightly abandoned project) and it worked well enough there. It works well  to replace the raised panels I had sanded off.

As for the stripping, it was best done outside as the smell of the lacquer thinner would be overpowering. Thankfully Tamiya lacquer thinner is cool enough it won't melt plastic. I've even used it to strip and repaint canopies. 

• Like 3

Looking good with the metal coat. I never stripped a plane and I have to admit it scares me so much, that I do everything in preparation to not stumble into  the need to do so ;). Stripping the Mossie with all the detail would give me nightmares. Nice save though for your Silver Star.

Cheers Rob

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Rob! I'm really happy with the paint. It's nice and opaque and seems fairly tough.  The LHS said you can mask over it without any issues. I guess I'll find out soon enough. 

As for the Mossie, I didn't really have a choice. The first try ended up way too dark and uniform. I painted it the same way the actual aircraft was. They sprayed a thin coat of dark sea grey over the original Ocean Grey/Dark Green camo. The second attempt pulled off exactly the look I wanted. 

• Like 5

Harv, my understanding is it's an acrylic lacquer. So it's smells stronger than Tamiya acrylics but maybe not as strong as Mr Color does. It dries pretty quick .The LHS said to thin it with Mr Leveling Thinner so that's what I've been using. Definitely not a water soluble paint. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

The LHS said you can mask over it without any issues.

Best to try on some spares and detack the masking tape on the back of your hand helps a lot to prevent pulling Colour off. By the way, which metallics have you used here?

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DocRob said:

Best to try on some spares and detack the masking tape on the back of your hand helps a lot to prevent pulling Colour off. By the way, which metallics have you used here?

Cheers Rob

Rob, so far just metallic silver.

I might be a bit late on trying a test first though:

IMG_20190807_015721-L.jpg

That being said, when I had to reposition some of the tape, there wasn't any paint lifting or other issue. So fingers crossed it works out. 

• Like 5